January 22, 2018, 08:11:44 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1185963 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11310 on: December 11, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »
Finished All Good Things and Emma Newman's quintet. I enjoyed the series overall but felt some of the happening in the last book should have been in book 3 or 4 to build to the ending. A very different series about faeries and full of clever and interesting ideas.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #11311 on: December 11, 2017, 05:56:38 PM »
I’ve become a Carol Berg fangirl! She is awesome I can’t wait to read all her books, her writing and style just clicks with me it’s beautiful when you discover a new author that you  can totally enjoy there are some flaws but I don’t care  because I’m having too much fun reading her books. I haven’t been so excited since I discovered Glen Cook.

Which author did you discover that is new to you in 2017 that you became a total fan of their books?

Maybe I should have started a new topic but I get embarrassed posting brand new topics 😀😀
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:01:15 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11312 on: December 11, 2017, 08:52:21 PM »
Finished All Good Things and Emma Newman's quintet. I enjoyed the series overall but felt some of the happening in the last book should have been in book 3 or 4 to build to the ending. A very different series about faeries and full of clever and interesting ideas.
Tend to agree. I enjoyed the whole series, including the last 2 books, and although Emma said in her head it was always 5 books, I think it could have been neatly wrapped up in 3. It may have suffered from the gap between books 3 and 4 and some personal issues in Emma's life in that time.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11313 on: December 13, 2017, 11:56:43 AM »
started The Sane King by Matt Knott on Kindle enjoyable so far

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11314 on: December 13, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »
I've started Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwell. Enjoying it so far and he has evoked the time period well.
The Traitor God, published by Angry Robot June 2018

http://www.cameronjohnston.net/

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #11315 on: December 13, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
Just finished Artemis, which was not great like The Martian but still very good. Although the constant sex jokes did get pretty old real quick.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: December 13, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
Just finished Artemis, which was not great like The Martian but still very good. Although the constant sex jokes did get pretty old real quick.

I DNFed it in a hurry. Extremely poorly plotted with an unrealistic MC, poorly voiced, whose well being I couldn't care for and whose motivations remained entirely unknown right up till she accepted her dangerous mission. Couldn't believe how bad this was coming from Weir. Wondering now if he's a one truck pony or what.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Peat

« Reply #11317 on: December 13, 2017, 09:21:13 PM »
Read Two Serpents Rising by Max Gladstone. He's a really exceptional talent in so many ways - ideas, characterisation, prose - but I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as Three Parts Dead, mainly because he hit me over the head with his message more. A shame.

I would also that he likes doing mysteries, which I think is great, but the one thing he's not exceptional at so far is plotting and that's a bit of a bummer. I still love his work but mad affection has settled into something more sober.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #11318 on: December 13, 2017, 11:54:46 PM »

I DNFed it in a hurry. Extremely poorly plotted with an unrealistic MC, poorly voiced, whose well being I couldn't care for and whose motivations remained entirely unknown right up till she accepted her dangerous mission. Couldn't believe how bad this was coming from Weir. Wondering now if he's a one truck pony or what.

Yeah, the voice was problematic and at times just plain awful. I didn't have any issues with the plot though. Could have done with being a longer book so it didn't jump around as much, maybe. I was just happy to read science fiction where the science mattered.

Offline ZeroEcho99

« Reply #11319 on: December 16, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
Read Magician by Raymond E Feist for only the 2nd time.  First read it back in 2003 and really enjoyed the first Riftwar trilogy but never read anything else by Feist.

Fantastic book and everything I look for in a fantast novel.  For me it's up there in my all time favourite list and I'm going to continue to read my Feist after I've finished the original trilogy again.  Just started Silverthorn today.

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11320 on: December 17, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
I've just finished Cursor's Fury and it's another explosive page-turner in this amazing series! Now I totally wondered why does the Codex Alera didn't have as much fame and praise as the Dresden Files. As far as I've covered on both series, I felt that the characterization, plotting, and the cast and action sequence is far superior in the Codex Alera. Does the Dresden Files got phenomenally better in later books?

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11321 on: December 17, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »
I've just finished Cursor's Fury and it's another explosive page-turner in this amazing series! Now I totally wondered why does the Codex Alera didn't have as much fame and praise as the Dresden Files. As far as I've covered on both series, I felt that the characterization, plotting, and the cast and action sequence is far superior in the Codex Alera. Does the Dresden Files got phenomenally better in later books?

The Dresden Files series really does improve as it goes along, but when I read the Codex Alera I felt the same way, that the writing in those was a step above the Dresden Files.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #11322 on: December 17, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »
Honestly, book 3 was one of the worst I've ever read by Butcher. and it was written around the same time as book 4 of Dresden, also the worst book in Dresden. No book in Codex alera is as good as books 9-12 in Dresden. And I'm curious what you have to say about the ending of Codex. I think he didn't sink it, but I haven't heard many people talk about it.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: December 17, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »
I can’t remember the ending of codex but I remember enjoying all the books at the time, as for Dresden the latter books easily overpower the early Dresden.

I’ve not read his new series it’s not very good apparently. (Cinder Spires) even @Lady Ty didn’t like it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:14:56 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11324 on: December 18, 2017, 01:26:52 AM »
I keep meaning to start Codex and haven't got there yet, but so many here have enjoyed it and Inks has just been rushing all through the series and raving about it, so think it may be my next reading over the holidays. ;)

Yes @Eclipse, I DNF'd Cinder Spires, despite the Grumpy Cat, but I am not a steampunk fan at all. Others may well enjoy it.

I have enjoyed my own rush through a series and read all four The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner end to end, non-stop in one glorious hit. Now I have to be patient and wait until the fifth is published, but my turn to rave.

Clever, good twists, excellent characters, several Gods, a coming of age, intrigue, adventure, bit of battles, spot of swordplay, bad barons, strong women, you name it - even a Magus (statesman not wizard). Best of all, huge fun and would make top film or TV series. Just want to see Hugh Jackman play The Thief one day before he gets too old. ;D
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders