December 17, 2017, 04:23:09 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1172359 times)

Online Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11250 on: November 21, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »
Idk if I mentioned this but I read Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone a few weeks ago b/c a friend of mine know her and might introduce us at some point so I figured I should give it a read.
Cool.
And...? What did you think of it? That's YA, isn't it? Does it 'feel' like it?

But it's built on the YA-romance formula of "which guy do I choose" that you see in eeeeeeeevery YA novel targeting young women, and I am NOT the target demographic here.  That said it didn't feel as phony as other YA love triangles (like there is basically NO reason for Mr. Sparkly Vampire and Werewolfboy to be smitten with Kristen Stewart.  None. ) But the relationships in Leigh's book are legitimately constructed,  and she does some interesting things with that formula-- there are some feminist undertones at play there-- symbolism about the powerlessness of gaining power through powerful men etc. the way that women fighting with each other for status (based on a man) plays into that.  There's a good twist, nice czarist world building, a bunch of characters that aren't what they seem. Which is all great if you can read a which-boy-should-i-choose series without vomiting in your own mouth (which, as I read about the series online, seems to be the ONLY think 90% of her readership cares about.)  But yeah, I liked it and I'd recommend it and if I had a daughter this is the kind of love triangle novel I'd want her to read b/c I think the underlying message is far more empowering and realistic of a premise I think in most cases hurts the girls who seem to love it.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11251 on: November 21, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »
Which is all great if you can read a which-boy-should-i-choose series without vomiting in your own mouth

Better that vomiting in someone else's, I suppose.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Peat

« Reply #11252 on: November 21, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
Which is all great if you can read a which-boy-should-i-choose series without vomiting in your own mouth

Better that vomiting in someone else's, I suppose.

Pro-tip - always choose the boy that doesn't vomit in people's mouths.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11253 on: November 22, 2017, 07:49:46 AM »
I've read Six of Crows myself, and the book that came after. People say that it's better than her earlier Shadow and Bone Grisha trilogy (Six of Crows got about 4.5 on goodreads and Shadow and bone got around 3.5) Six of Crows is more about an impossible heist, and focuses around a team of 6 masterful criminals, each with their own unique skills. It's a YA novel, but the character interaction worked out really well. There were some romance with a couple of the heist team members, but I never consider them as the major point of the books. The heist, and the mastermind behind all of their plans is the true heart of the series.  8)

Online Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11254 on: November 22, 2017, 08:05:46 AM »

I'll check it out!  I definitely like her style.

I was at the bookstore today and randomly picked up some book that begins with an "S" maybe "Sol... something"?

It opened with starving fishermen coming to some abandoned city, then the next chapter
It had a kid trapped in a Priory with other important people who were held hostage for various reasons and he gets put out on a ledge in some well with superheated rocks where it the sun burns him to a crisp and then it had some important woman whos sister likes to fight in tournaments but she's banging the guy she's gonna make her sister marry against her will.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #11255 on: November 22, 2017, 10:01:20 PM »
I've started Fall of Dragons, final book in the Traitor Son Cycle. Books 1 & 3 were great, books 2 & 4 were not-great, so I'm hoping it ends on a high.

Online Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11256 on: November 23, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
since none of you could help me with identifying that title [Bradley snorts in thinly veiled disappointment, shaking his head], I went to the bookstore and figured it out myself
It was Soleri by Michael Johnston.  It's a new Tor book. 
It's a little thin on description (what can I say, I grew up reading Jordan), but it's actually pretty good.  Love the plot and the politics so far.

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #11257 on: November 23, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
I'm finally reading Dusk by Tim Lebbon. It's been on my radar since I saw it in a bookshop many years ago, but never got round to buying it.  Tim's recently released it on Kindle himself.

So far a brilliant marriage of epic fantasy and the horror that he's more famous for.  The first chapter is a treat.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11258 on: November 23, 2017, 11:15:01 PM »
About 1/3 the way through Malice. My disbelief is not suspended, character motivation and plot devices are annoying me it's heading towards being a DNF.

Edit: Well this is embarrassing here I am dissing Malice when I am actually reading The Emperors Blades by Brian Staveley. A last minute change due to Malice not being on my kindle. Sorry to John Gwynne....
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:24:12 PM by Rostum »

Offline Peat

« Reply #11259 on: November 24, 2017, 08:03:14 AM »
I'm glad you found out the name of that Bradley, as it sounds like my type of eff'ed up.

And speaking of Ms Bardugo, there's some decent reviews of her Wonder Woman origin story.

I haven't read anything really in ages. But the kindle file for Mythago Wood is taunting me...
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11260 on: November 24, 2017, 02:12:42 PM »
Finished Deadhouse Landing. It's cool to see the story develop (origin of Surly, Tayschrenn, Tattersail, etc for example) but it's not as funny as Dancer's Lament.

Back to City of Blades.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11261 on: November 24, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
I finished The White Song by Phil Tucker. 3/5

A good ending and an overall good story with good moments but brought down by some characters becoming unimportant in the scheme of things and one who despite everyone and everything saying he'll kill himself with so much magic, continues to use more and more without any consequence (when they do seem to hit, it's always for a very short time and quickly brushed away by discovering a new ability).

With this, I finished the The Chronicles of the Black Gate pentalogy. I think I'll return to check the author again down the road as he has good ideas and plans, but still a mixed execution of them.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Skip

« Reply #11262 on: November 25, 2017, 02:06:40 AM »
Currently reading The Broken Road by Patrick Leigh Fermor, the third volume in what is possibly the most remarkable travel memoir ever written. In 1933/34 Fermor at age 18 decided to walk across Europe to Istanbul. These books are his re-telling of that trek. His is some of the most lush language I have ever read. It's also the only book where I have kept my computer open as I read, so I can look up the innumerable references--natural, cultural, historical, geographical, linguistic. It's a pure joy to read.

Anyone intrigued might also look up the fellow's biography. He led a remarkable life.

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #11263 on: November 25, 2017, 04:07:27 AM »
Sounds very interesting. Maybe for the Christmas list ...

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11264 on: November 25, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »
I started The Ladies of grace Adieu by Susanna Clark. This is a collection of short stories set in the Johnathon Strange and Mr Norrel world and so far it is marvelous.