December 17, 2017, 05:52:36 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1172516 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11235 on: November 19, 2017, 01:05:31 AM »
Aww that's sad. What with me being totally disappointed in Andy Weir's Artemis... I hope i can find some enjoyment in this one still  :-\
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #11236 on: November 19, 2017, 06:20:05 AM »

How do you know it's a wild Saturday night?

I just read "The Political Economy of Peacemaking" by Achim Wennmann (skipping the irrelevant chapters), "Land-based invstment and green development in Indonesia" a free interagency USAID working paper on googleplay by Casson et al, "Consolidating Gains of Peace and Development in Aceh" by UNDP consultants, the UNEP's "Environment and Reconstruction in Aceh" as well as a kajillion articles like the Bloomberg market analysis of Exxon's departure from Indonesia, and a ton of studies of deforestation impacts by biologists.

Then I procrastinated by reading wikipedia articles about the decline of polytheism in Rome, religious history of Britian and the history of invasions at that time in the UK, which somehow led me to "sacred marriage" rites which basically meant having sex as part of a coronation, or in some places ritual sex each year as part of a festival.  Oh and I read about the Inquisition for a bit which lasted way longer than I imagined and interestingly was driven largely by the Dominican Order (in places against the Franciscans, my fav. Order). Another note, I don't buy that Constantine's conversion was purely political b/c Christianity was hierarchical and popular among the poor... esp that it ultimately required a huge network of long-standing rituals that legitimated the state and took 300 more years of violent repression against polytheists to eradicate them-- it just seems like a lot of effort, so there must be some elements that are missing from this story.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11237 on: November 19, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
I finished The Iron Circlet by Phil Tucker, the 4th book of The Chronicles of the Black Gate. 3/5

Some great moments, mostly related to the world and its history, but except for Audsley, the other characters didn't really accompany the worldbuilding.

Worse, in some plotlines a lot of situations that were supposed to be difficult (specially the ones built by the worldbuilding) were shrugged off or even ignored way too easily, making some of the conflicts way too simplistic.

But it does end with quite a bang and it really makes me curious to what will happen and maybe perhaps be surprised with the final installment, The White Song, which I started and that hopefully will surprise me.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11238 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »
Aww that's sad. What with me being totally disappointed in Andy Weir's Artemis... I hope i can find some enjoyment in this one still  :-\

Regarding Artemis, I think I remember it had around a 4.3 rating on GR during the awards voting stages before it was released, I checked it now and it's at 3.8 five days after release.
But maybe I'm mistaking it for another book.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #11239 on: November 19, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »
Completing Deadhouse Gates in the infamous Malazon-series. Took a break while reading some other stuff in between, but DG is actually pretty readable. Looking forward to Memories of Ice. Might not be the next book though.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11240 on: November 19, 2017, 08:29:01 PM »
Completing Deadhouse Gates in the infamous Malazon-series. Took a break while reading some other stuff in between, but DG is actually pretty readable. Looking forward to Memories of Ice. Might not be the next book though.
Memories of Ice is great in a completely different way. :)

If you want to check our read along, you can find it here: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?board=158.0
All books are covered with multiple threads, enjoy reading.

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #11241 on: November 20, 2017, 08:26:55 AM »
Ah thanks, I was actually looking for something like that the other day...

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11242 on: November 20, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
Finished (or well, near finishing, anyway) Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera #1). It gives off similar vipes to Dresden in terms of hollywood popcorn, action movie adventure, but the cast of characters are certainly more diverse, and the world and magic system worked better together than I would've imagined. Certainly moving onwards to Academ's Fury (Codex Alera #2) next!

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #11243 on: November 20, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »
I’m reading Oathbringer, been waiting ages for this one.  ;D

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #11244 on: November 20, 2017, 07:54:15 PM »
Then I procrastinated by reading wikipedia articles about the decline of polytheism in Rome, religious history of Britian and the history of invasions at that time in the UK, which somehow led me to "sacred marriage" rites which basically meant having sex as part of a coronation, or in some places ritual sex each year as part of a festival.  Oh and I read about the Inquisition for a bit which lasted way longer than I imagined and interestingly was driven largely by the Dominican Order (in places against the Franciscans, my fav. Order). Another note, I don't buy that Constantine's conversion was purely political b/c Christianity was hierarchical and popular among the poor... esp that it ultimately required a huge network of long-standing rituals that legitimated the state and took 300 more years of violent repression against polytheists to eradicate them-- it just seems like a lot of effort, so there must be some elements that are missing from this story.
I'm not a huge proponent of Constantine, but wouldn't it be possible for him to convert because he just... Believed it? Bought into it? Was tricked into it? Whichever phrase makes people more comfortable.

I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm just saying that we shouldn't rule out the possibility just because he's a significant historical and political figure.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: November 20, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Yeah, people tended to be religious at that time. Atheism wasn't huge, at least not publicly, and no one would follow an atheist leader. Leaders also didn't necessarily match the religion of the "people", but more importantly the religion of the people they traded most with, slowly converting the masses.

Anyway, finished The Stone Sky and super pleased with that whole trilogy. It was awesome, daring and ambitious and I'm an idiot for not reading it sooner. Great respect was earned for Jemisin here, and that's refreshing given how much disappointment I gather for beloved authors on the side.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11246 on: November 20, 2017, 11:28:57 PM »
Put City of Blades on hold to read Deadhouse Landing. Nothing wrong with CoB, just more interested how Dancer's and Kellanved's story continues. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #11247 on: November 21, 2017, 04:37:39 AM »
Idk if I mentioned this but I read Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone a few weeks ago b/c a friend of mine know her and might introduce us at some point so I figured I should give it a read.

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11248 on: November 21, 2017, 08:19:25 AM »
Idk if I mentioned this but I read Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone a few weeks ago b/c a friend of mine know her and might introduce us at some point so I figured I should give it a read.
Cool.
And...? What did you think of it? That's YA, isn't it? Does it 'feel' like it?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11249 on: November 21, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
I'm hoping to read Bardugo's Six of Crows for my foolish numerical challenge when I reach the number six (in January, since I'm compounding the foolishness with a time limit.)