November 21, 2017, 07:08:40 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1159398 times)

Online Peat

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11205 on: November 11, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »
Barely been reading, but I did read the short story Everything Ravaged, Everything Burnt by Wells Tower. Verges on being great but dribbles away at the end. Might check out the collection of the same name at some point.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #11206 on: November 12, 2017, 12:14:07 AM »
Finished The Core. I'd forgotten how annoying the accents could be, and there were some pacing issues, but it was still a great book. A worthy conclusion to the series.

I also read Road Brothers, which turned out to be a surprisingly mixed bag, though the good stories made up for the bad.

Next on the agenda is The Two of Swords, my first exposure to K J Parker.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #11207 on: November 12, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »
Just beginning A Plague of Giants by Kevin Hearne. First book of a planned series called Seven Kennings. Unusual world and a fascinating concept with a character called Tallynd who is a Tidal Mariner. I can't say more because spoiler, but it fits this Month's Writing Contest Theme perfectly. Hope I will like this, it is quite different from The Iron Druid so far apart from some Celtic feels.

“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11208 on: November 12, 2017, 02:36:45 PM »
Just finished Ready Player One about 5 years after everyone else. Very good actually, and looking forward to the film now.  I have about 30 unread books on my kindle so not sure where to go next. Sci Fi, Fantasy, Short Stories, Contemporary, Non Fiction ...
The Real Powers That Be

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #11209 on: November 12, 2017, 03:55:53 PM »
I'm currently wading through The Core by Peter V. Brett. A hefty tome, but really enjoying it so far.
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://www.cameronjohnston.net/

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11210 on: November 12, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
finished Three times the trouble by GR Mathews. Best of the Corin Hayes books so far for those that like to categorize have you got a section for Submarine Noir?

Re-read rivers  of London and Moon over Soho (hospital waiting) and started the Emperors Blades on Kindle.

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11211 on: November 12, 2017, 06:01:21 PM »
I've now started In the labyrinth of drakes (Marie Brennan), book 4 of the series.
I really love this series :D
And for books set in a pseudo-victorian age, they have the best feminist heroine I've read in many books!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11212 on: November 13, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
I finished Sing the Four Quarters by Tanya Huff at the weekend. I enjoyed it. It's fairly unusual for a heroine to spend the whole book pregnant. Quite an unusual setting, with elemental bardic magic. I would happily read the others in the series, but from what I can see this book is standalone and the next one features new characters, so there's no particular drive to continue.

Next up, I've started Forever Free by Joe Haldeman, the sequel to The Forever War. This was mainly tidying-up, rather than any particular desire to read it - I have the Peace & War omnibus in paperback, and this is the only part I have left to read - but I'm enjoying it so far.

I should finish in a couple of days, and then I'm intending to read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, finally.

Offline Dark Squiggle

« Reply #11213 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:36 PM »
I am reading The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch, 93 by Victor Hugo, and the Nebelungen. All at once. :)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #11214 on: November 14, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
I went a non-fiction route and finished The Storm Before the Storm by Mike Duncan who is my favorite podcaster. The book covers the Roman period between the Gracchi and Sulla and I thought it was really well done.  If you like history podcasts I highly recommend Mike's The History of Rome and Revolutions podcasts.

Oh and Happy Oathbringer Day!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11215 on: November 14, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
Next up, I've started Forever Free by Joe Haldeman, the sequel to The Forever War. This was mainly tidying-up, rather than any particular desire to read it - I have the Peace & War omnibus in paperback, and this is the only part I have left to read - but I'm enjoying it so far.
I ended up finishing this last night. My home internet connection seems to have decided to go on strike, and it was cold, so I went to bed early and read. It went weird at the end, and seems to be a completely unnecessary sequel, but I guess it was OK.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11216 on: November 14, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »
Read The Cloud Roads by Martha Wells, and quite liked it, though after a while I was wondering when the hell the novel would end, not out of boredom but from the sheer quantity of action.

Just finished The Fifth Season, joining at last the Nemisin fan bandwagon and GOSH is it stupid that this book decided to start with second person!! It put me off for so long. I've had it on my kindle for over a year, I've picked it up at work several times... worse, I opened in the middle and fell on another 2nd person chapter. I thought the whole book was in it! If a co-worker didn't insist it was "only sometimes" in a "fucking awesome" novel, and read it assiduously every day, I would not have picked it up at all.

Turns out it's awesome, the world is crazy cool, second person is tolerable if the story is engrossing enough.

Now putting the trilogy on hold to read Artemis by Andy Weir, and then I bought Oathbringer, and I have no clue how I'm meant to "read" that... When I'm done with these I can return to Jemisin, then return to Hyperion, and potentially, when I feel like it, maybe reading La Belle Sauvage, which I haven't felt like reading so far.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11217 on: November 15, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
I finished The Siege of Abythos by Phil Tucker. 3/5

This had me thrilled in some parts and very disappointed in other. It looked like a lot of the writing was rushed and simply put down in a bare bones way to get it done. Some executions of ideas looked clumsy.

Despite this looking harsh, it would still be a very good story, if this wasn't a setup book... being the third one of the pentology. Worse, everyone gets separated and form or join other groups who presents us with tons of unimportant secondary characters and even some unimportant plotlines. Add to that one or two absurd Deus Ex regarding the magic.

Well, this probably made it look even worse, but I still really enjoyed the good things it did right. And Audsley's POV was really good and Tharok's a really nice one, him pretty much being the villain.
The siege itself was quite good and it ends in a really unexpected way. There's good potential here, just expecting that it isn't wasted later.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #11218 on: November 15, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »
Two of Swords turned out to not be my cup of tea. It was like a good war story, but with the interesting parts taken out. More than that, I found the writing really off-putting. Whole sections where no character is named, for example.

Now reading an Asimov anthology as a palate cleanser before I pick up Oathbringer tomorrow,

Offline Hedin

« Reply #11219 on: November 15, 2017, 01:44:16 PM »
Started Oathbringer last night but not very far in (just over 100 pages).  No real opinion on it yet but I do wonder how a Dalinar centric book is going to develop.  I did find the book itself to be interesting, its another 150 pages or so bigger than Words of Radiance but the size of the actual book is much smaller.  The pages are probably the thinnest pages I have ever seen and part of me is halway worried that if I turn a page too fast/hard I might rip it a little.