November 22, 2017, 10:47:03 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1159624 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11130 on: October 13, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
I started The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.

Feels like it will be a very good change of style.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: October 16, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »
I started The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.

Feels like it will be a very good change of style.

Keen for your opinion. I've been deep in Sci-fi for a while. Could use a change and this book is all over the place. Wherever I go I stumble back on it. Doesn't mean it's good though.

Picked up another non fiction, What A Fish Knows. Very interesting and nearly halfway there.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11132 on: October 16, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
I've finished reading a non-fiction book called I can't believe you just said that (by Danny Wallace), dealing with rudeness.
It was super interesting!
He went around discovering scientific evidence on the effects of rudeness in many areas of life, from doctors to shop assistants to politics, and and the way the world is going.
Totally worth a read
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

« Reply #11133 on: October 17, 2017, 03:14:21 AM »
I'm reading The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. His first fantasy book I believe. Am really enjoying this post Arthurian tale.

It appears simplistic at first glance but has a deep thread the more you go into it.

A surprising delight.

Caroline

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: October 17, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
Wow, basing a bookseller sure comes with perks.
I just got my hands on Iron Gold, the 4th Pierce Brown book. It's not due out until the 16/01/2018!
I was pretty disappointed by the third one but it's easy enough to give a shot at a book when it comes for free!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11135 on: October 18, 2017, 01:16:30 AM »
I just got my hands on Iron Gold, the 4th Pierce Brown book. It's not due out until the 16/01/2018!
I was pretty disappointed by the third one but it's easy enough to give a shot at a book when it comes for free!

I'm in the middle of the third one right now, and it feels like the weakest for me. At some point, I feel like I lost some interest in the characters. I still enjoy reading it, but it's very easy to put it down and take a while before getting back to it.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11136 on: October 18, 2017, 03:35:33 AM »

I'm in the middle of the third one right now, and it feels like the weakest for me. At some point, I feel like I lost some interest in the characters. I still enjoy reading it, but it's very easy to put it down and take a while before getting back to it.

I really disliked and still can't believe how the author handled the ending. I also can't believe people say it was extremely surprising and the best thing ever. For me it almost killed the whole trilogy.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11137 on: October 18, 2017, 04:29:40 AM »
I finished The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. 4/5

Review and thoughts:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Pretty solid political intrigue fantasy. And as a deviation from current trends, the protagonist (and some other characters) are pretty kind and noble - though Maia himself at times fights to control certain urges that come when you suddenly gain almost unlimited power.

Of course there are conspiracies and the such, but nowhere close to the viciousness and cynicism of the current trends. I felt it was a nice change of tone. Though it can look a little simple without such intricate webs being woven.

I didn't find the names confusing or too hard to read (though they initially appear so). Sometimes I - and Maia too - did forget a character or two, so maybe this was intentional to show how the court could be confusing for a newcomer... but I guess this works better when a character doesn't remember someone/something but the reader does, not the other way around... and sometimes the language doesn't help. It starts with plenty of "thees and thous" style but as the story progresses this pretty much disappears.

I also initially imagined goblins like very small beings and since they live among elves, that they were of that kind too and it seemed pretty interesting... but later there are references of elves/goblins six feet tall and the such, and then they just started to look too much like humans to me.

I still don't know the differences between elves and goblins here. Everyone's ears seemed to flatten, and sometimes there were mentions of elves and goblins intermixing, which suggests it isn't common and it's recent, but no problems about that were ever raised. In fact, for most of the characters presented, I still have no idea if they were elves, goblins or mixed.

This is very slice-of-life, there's no end of the world or even a major villain on the protagonist's heels. The majority of the story is all about the court and Maia learning about it and gaining some confidence. He doesn't learn to fight or has magical powers or armies clash.

Maia is a likeable enough protagonist, the story is pretty lighthearted and I liked some things like the bodyguards (edocharei and... nesocharei? Can you believe the glossary of terms is actually incomplete?), the ritual of retvosthan and some other things.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11138 on: October 18, 2017, 05:51:07 PM »
Since it's Horror week I picked an Horror book  ::)

Ghost Story by Peter Straub.

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #11139 on: October 19, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
I've decided to hold off on The Core for a while in favour of working through some of my tbr backlog. Currently reading Princess of Blood by Tom Lloyd. Probably be the last of his books I read. It's got a lot of the same flaws as Stranger of Tempest, but doesn't seem to ne adding anything new.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11140 on: October 20, 2017, 05:53:26 PM »
Finished Daylight War (what a door stopper) and started the Skull Throne.
I had no qualms with Daylight War at all and the Cliffhanger made me happy to have the next book on hand. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #11141 on: October 20, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »
I had no qualms with Daylight War at all and the Cliffhanger made me happy to have the next book on hand. :)

So what makes it a doorstopper exactly (I'm not sure I know what doorstopper means... I mean aside from stopping doors...)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11142 on: October 20, 2017, 11:04:27 PM »

So what makes it a doorstopper exactly (I'm not sure I know what doorstopper means... I mean aside from stopping doors...)
HUGE heavy book ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11143 on: October 21, 2017, 04:31:16 AM »
Started and fi ished Grave Peril (Dresden Files #3) during my one week holiday period. I do like how this book focuses away from Murphy and other mundane procedures to more supernatural stuffs.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: October 21, 2017, 05:10:53 AM »
Glad you are enjoying Dresden,Inks.
Believe you will enjoy even more the further you read, don't worry there are heaps more supernaturals to come.  ;D
The next one for you, Summer Knight, is one of my favourites and very important because starts huge chain of events for future. Also introduces many characters  important to whole series. Enjoy 8)

“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders