October 21, 2017, 10:25:55 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1148973 times)

Online Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11025 on: September 22, 2017, 12:00:11 AM »
Re-read Prince of Thorns in a few hours time, and have started King.
Finished listening to Obelisk Gate. It was quite good and always interesting, but in some ways seemed an extended exposition toward book 3. Which I'm looking forward to as soon as my next Audible credit arrives.
So in the meanwhile, listening to Prince of Fools in the commute.

The reading life is good.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11026 on: September 22, 2017, 04:59:36 AM »
Re-read Prince of Thorns in a few hours time, and have started King.
Finished listening to Obelisk Gate. It was quite good and always interesting, but in some ways seemed an extended exposition toward book 3. Which I'm looking forward to as soon as my next Audible credit arrives.
So in the meanwhile, listening to Prince of Fools in the commute.

The reading life is good.  :)

I'm currently reading Emperor of Thorns for the first time. I think the scene where Jorg was almost burned to a crips by the group of bandit savages was one of the best scenes in the trilogy so far. I could certainly feel the extent of fear that perpetrated him, despite Jorg's tough minded brutaliy and seemingly fearlessness most of the time.
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11027 on: September 24, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »
I fished Daniel Abraham's Dragon's path, the first of the Dagger and the coin series.

At first the book was just interesting, I was still getting to know the characters, but soon it became super, and like his previous Long price quartet, even though there are conflicts and some battles, the focus is on relationships and unusual professions: in this case, banking! The politics aspect is also quite well written, moving away from the obvious and usual.

I got this for 20p in the library sale... now I'm still deciding whether to go buy the other 4 books or read them from the library, because read them I will, hehe! Maybe I'll use a giftcard present I got recently ;)

I've started Lady Trent's memories book 3, Voyage of the Basilisk :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:36:51 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Yora

« Reply #11028 on: September 24, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »
Picked up Time of Contempt again. It's good, but not quite what I want right now.
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11029 on: September 24, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »
Picked up Time of Contempt again. It's good, but not quite what I want right now.

How are the Witcher books? I'm quite interested in them (from the game, as could be guessed), but didn't know if I should be diving into them. Are they comparable in terms of quality to other well-known fantasy authors like Rothfuss, Sanderson, Abercrombie, Lawrence, etc.? Are a lot of prose elements lost in translation?
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline Yora

« Reply #11030 on: September 24, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »
I think they are really good. Characters are interesting and conflicts and resolutions are quite different from what I usually see in fantasy. Plots and dialog are quite clever.
I've sometimes seen people say the translation is poor, but I've never noticed anything odd or clunky myself.
Spriggan's Den

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #11031 on: September 24, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »

How are the Witcher books? I'm quite interested in them (from the game, as could be guessed), but didn't know if I should be diving into them. Are they comparable in terms of quality to other well-known fantasy authors like Rothfuss, Sanderson, Abercrombie, Lawrence, etc.? Are a lot of prose elements lost in translation?

The Witcher books are sword & sorcery. Abercrombie, Lawrence etc are more  Epic fantasy
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Yora

« Reply #11032 on: September 24, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
The closest in style to Witcher that I can think of is Hellboy.
Spriggan's Den

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11033 on: September 24, 2017, 05:43:32 PM »
Finished The Fifth Season a few weeks ago. Worth reading, exceptionally well written, but ultimately not for me, as I never really connected with the characters. Happy to say I saw the twist coming, and was pretty pleased with it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Very cool idea on PoV.

Currently about 60% of the way through Republic of Thieves. Enjoying it so far. It feels like a different sort of thing compared Lies and Red Seas, but still very enjoyable.

Also listening to book 5 of Wheel of Time on tape. Am eager to finally finish the series, though after listening to Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, and Fifth Season, I am beginning to wonder if maybe audio books aren't for me. I may be having trouble connecting due to the format.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11034 on: September 24, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
I finished Brontomek! by Michael G Coney yesterday. It wasn't particularly special, and had a bit of a seventies attitude to women (not surprisingly, I guess). I don't really know why it won the BSFA.

When I first started looking into collecting the remaining BSFA winners, I found that Brontomek! was often listed as a sequel or semi-sequel to Mirror Image and Syzygy, so I went ahead and read those first. I was confused to find that they didn't seem to have anything to do with each other, so I wondered if maybe it was a thematic trilogy, or something. It turns out, though, that Brontomek! is a direct sequel to Syzygy, and also brings in the aliens from the planet in Mirror Image. All fairly run-of-the-mill planetary SF stories, though. Fine, if that's what you're in the mood for, but nothing major.

Anyway, I started Red Sister by Mark Lawrence this morning, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm almost half way through already.

Offline Eclipse

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #11035 on: September 24, 2017, 08:01:56 PM »
On a desert fantasy kick.

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Peat

« Reply #11036 on: September 24, 2017, 08:05:57 PM »
I have only read Blood of Elves from The Witcher and I found it a very frustrating read. Very exposition heavy and very fractured in terms of storyline. Admittedly, BoE is originally a collection of short stories so maybe that's just a quality of that and not the series. And unlike Yora, I did find the prose quite clunky at points.

I'd also say it felt pretty Epic Fantasy to me, for what very little that's worth.

As for me... taking a non-fiction break of sorts. Might try some of the unread shizzle on my kindle.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11037 on: September 24, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »
Do you need reccs?
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Eclipse

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #11038 on: September 24, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »
Do you need reccs?

fantasy setting with deserts and magic and Djinns ! More the merrier

Online ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11039 on: September 24, 2017, 08:17:05 PM »
Do you need reccs?

fantasy setting with deserts and magic and Djinns ! More the merrier
Ah! I thought you meant 'going through a desert' in terms of fantasy (= not knowing what to read), hehe

There's Alamut by Judith Tarr, but not sure if it's still available (I love that book!) :D