October 21, 2017, 10:25:43 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1148972 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11010 on: September 18, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
Finished Jemesin's Obelisk Gate. Wow. Definitely starting the Stone Sky today.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: September 18, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »
Started Prince of Fools last night.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11012 on: September 18, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »
Finished Jemesin's Obelisk Gate. Wow. Definitely starting the Stone Sky today.
And I think book 3 is even better than 2, you'll be saying triple wow :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11013 on: September 18, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
I admit that I was wrong about Red Rising by Pierce Brown. It was better than I expected, and I really enjoyed it in the end. Its superficial adherence to YA tropes masks quite a different book. I would even say I got a bit of a Jorg vibe from Darrow later on, once it got going.

Sad to see, earlier in this thread, that the end of the trilogy is a bit of a let-down. I imagine I will have to read the other two books sooner or later, but I kind of felt this one stood well enough alone that there's no great rush.

I've moved on to Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman, which I am enjoying a great deal. It's probably not something I'd have chosen to read if it wasn't for another of my foolish self-imposed challenges*, but this is exactly what they're for - to make me read and find new things I like. It's a contemporary/urban fantasy, involving faeries and their human associates who live in a kind of in-between world called the Nether. All things which would normally turn me off, but it's just fun. It's one of those stories where you (and some of the characters) are just thrown in, and have to try to figure out the rules as you go, and there's a lot happening all the time. It feels a little bit Dirk Gently, to me.

*I have decided to read books with numbers in their titles, in numerical order, and see how far I can get. I'm currently aiming at a rate of 1 per month. I reckon I can get to 13 without too much trouble, if I can plug a couple of gaps. Obviously I'm only up to 2 so far, but being a programmer I did start at 0 (Towards Zero by Agatha Christie in July, Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor in August).

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11014 on: September 18, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
I admit that I was wrong about Red Rising by Pierce Brown. It was better than I expected, and I really enjoyed it in the end. Its superficial adherence to YA tropes masks quite a different book. I would even say I got a bit of a Jorg vibe from Darrow later on, once it got going.

Sad to see, earlier in this thread, that the end of the trilogy is a bit of a let-down. I imagine I will have to read the other two books sooner or later, but I kind of felt this one stood well enough alone that there's no great rush.

No, no, go to Golden Son! For me it was the best of the trilogy.

And @Nora, only now, reading back what you posted earlier, that I realized that you actually did spoil book 3! But I didn't get it at the time.
I thought you were talking about book 2, thought the hologram you mentioned was that part with Darrow/Mustang and the part about Sevro something I had missed in one of the battles.
Hah!
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11015 on: September 18, 2017, 05:24:11 PM »

The Lascar's Dagger[/i] by Glenda Larke -  I really like Larke's work, The Last Stormlord is always on my underrated books list.  This book was good, but her characters didn't catch me as much.  Still, a fantasy set in an age of exploration and based around a spice trade gets points for uniqueness of setting

Reading this one now

I enjoyed that series. It never quite got to the point that I loved it. I preferred the Stormlord series, but this was still a good series.

Offline Peat

« Reply #11016 on: September 19, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
Getting distracted and flitting hither and thither. Read Carpe Jugulum - toying with a mix of Interesting Times, Thud, some beta reading, and the Robert Jordan Conans.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: September 19, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »
Been unfaithful to SFF and distracted into Crime for a week or so. First Glass Houses by Louise Penny, the  latest in the Three Pines series and possibly one of the very best out of the thirteen so far. Then some  police procedurals by Peter Grainger . Now,  finally back in the fold with Genesis by Bernard Beckett. Many thanks @Lanko, this is short but fascinating.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11018 on: September 19, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
Now,  finally back in the fold with Genesis by Bernard Beckett. Many thanks @Lanko, this is short but fascinating.

Hope you like it! This is definitely in my top 10 list of the year, but I was wary in recommending it to others, as I feel the narrative style may not be for everyone.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11019 on: September 19, 2017, 10:45:52 PM »

I've moved on to Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman, which I am enjoying a great deal. It's probably not something I'd have chosen to read if it wasn't for another of my foolish self-imposed challenges*, but this is exactly what they're for - to make me read and find new things I like. It's a contemporary/urban fantasy, involving faeries and their human associates who live in a kind of in-between world called the Nether. All things which would normally turn me off, but it's just fun. It's one of those stories where you (and some of the characters) are just thrown in, and have to try to figure out the rules as you go, and there's a lot happening all the time. It feels a little bit Dirk Gently, to me.

*I have decided to read books with numbers in their titles, in numerical order, and see how far I can get. I'm currently aiming at a rate of 1 per month. I reckon I can get to 13 without too much trouble, if I can plug a couple of gaps. Obviously I'm only up to 2 so far, but being a programmer I did start at 0 (Towards Zero by Agatha Christie in July, Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor in August).
I don't really have a comment about the books (although I did thoroughly enjoy Between Two Thorns and the rest of the Split Worlds series, I believe the 5th and final book has recently come out, too), but I do love that challenge you've set for yourself there. That's very cool and novel.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11020 on: September 20, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »
I don't really have a comment about the books (although I did thoroughly enjoy Between Two Thorns and the rest of the Split Worlds series, I believe the 5th and final book has recently come out, too), but I do love that challenge you've set for yourself there. That's very cool and novel.
I agree :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11021 on: September 20, 2017, 01:20:37 PM »
It kind of springs from what I'm trying to do with the Reddit Bingo. I'm attempting to do 5 themes of 5 books to make up the full card of 25 books. At the moment, my themes are going to be: Numbers, Colours, Birds, Award-Winners and Women I've Never Read Before. (The last two are kind of catch-alls since I've got to find something that works with non-fiction, graphic novels and short-stories.) So since I had some numbered books lined up anyway, I thought I'd go the extra mile and try to read some in numerical order.

Anyway, I finished Between Two Thorns last night, and really enjoyed it. The next one has gone onto my "Continued" wishlist for future consideration. Next up I think I'm going to read Brontomek! by Michael G Coney. I don't really know what it's about, but it won the BSFA in the 1976. I think it might have something to do with shape-shifting aliens based on the loosely-related books I've already read. You've got to love a book with an excalamation mark in the title.

Online Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: September 20, 2017, 09:26:05 PM »
Reading "Prince of Fools" and realizing how much I want to/should re-read the Broken Empire trilogy.
I read them a bit before I joined the Forum, I think, so it's been three years+.
Still,
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have been enjoying trying to catch all the cross-story references, including the wonderful line on page 1 about not wanting to fall into a thorn bush because that can "cause no end of grief."  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: September 20, 2017, 11:26:52 PM »
Finished a few days ago The Terror by Dan Simmons. Awesome book. Really enjoyed the whole thing. The writing was excellent, intelligent and well researched. He managed to weave the story so that people died where they were found (since the book describes events that happened, though we have no records beyond the sunk carcasses of the ships and the bodies of the buried, and word of mouth stories by local esquimeaux).
The supernatural element was interesting, and I was really scarred of how he'd manage any "reveal" of what the "Evil" is, which is often the pitfall of such monster based horror books. Turns out Simmons doesn't really treat it like a horror story, gives poignant endings to everyone, and damn was I pleased with it all. Some details were so smartly handled... It was a great pay off. I felt genuinely glad.

Now reading a distracting enough book called Strange Practice by Vivian Shaw, and a non fiction in parallel called Men Explain Things To Me, hehehe.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: September 21, 2017, 09:55:18 PM »
Finished Strange Practice. It was ok. A bit bare bones, with a main character who was a bit bland and the "practice" side of things quite eclipsed by the rather simple plot. Fun read but not deep or too gratifying.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty