October 24, 2017, 10:41:17 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1149719 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10950 on: September 08, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
Finished Ancillary justice.
Probably 2.5-3 stars, I only wanted to get to the end and finish the book.
I didn't care who this or that person was, all with the same name. I never really understood all the previous 'entities' of Breq, the way that a ship was organised. It was either the book, or I guess SF isn't for me, not really :-\
(funnily enough, I had no issues with the constant use of feminine pronouns - in my mind everyone was female, and that's it)

Looking forward to get back to fantasy, I'll probably start Dragon's path, by Daniel Abraham.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10951 on: September 08, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
No Bea, you can't diss Sci Fi based on Ancillary Justice! >_<
Sci fi doesn't need to be in space, or have space ships, or be in the future. It's like me saying fantasy might not be for me because I disliked a high fantasy sword and sorcery book.
Indeed AJ is space opera, and even then it's a weird one, with the concept of ancillaries and the general feminine pronouns (and the right arm character, whose name I forget, that Breq saves early in book three is a guy, we know because his gender is referred to by indigenous people who use gender. This for me was what made the entire concept of using "she" uncomfortable), and the prose of Leckie... Not everyone liked it even among sci fi/space opera fans.
I adored the whole trilogy and can't wait for her new book, but each his/her own! But please don't give up a whole genre based on an oddball in a sub genre. I'm sure you can find something to please you and appeal to you. Don't give up!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: September 08, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »
@ScarletBea,

For SF, please please find a copy of Startide Rising (Brin), the Faded Sun trilogy (Cherryh), the Chanur series (Cherryh), or The Warrior's Apprentice (Bujold). Except for Brin, these are all basically Fantasy-in-Space! And among my all-time favorites. Heck, I might just have to send one to you.  :D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #10953 on: September 08, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
Though it's non-fiction, I just finished reading Crash Override by Zoe Quinn, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in learning how toxic the Internet can be and how easy it is to have even your offline life torn apart by an Internet hate mob.

I found her book engaging and well-written, and what it does really well is to clearly summarize all the ways anonymous jerks can target you both online AND offline. It does this by clearly laying out how unsecured tech and poorly managed social media platforms have made it to dramatically easier to harass and dox people, how dickheads use vulnerabilities in social platforms and poor online practices to terrorize their targets (including targeting their families and friends, which is particularly vile), and finally, summarizes how we can minimize our vulnerability (coining the term "Internet hygiene", which I found amusing).

As an aside, seeing how bad things already are is a great reference for a dystopian cyberpunk book. :)
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10954 on: September 08, 2017, 05:53:55 PM »
@ScarletBea,

For SF, please please find a copy of Startide Rising (Brin), the Faded Sun trilogy (Cherryh), the Chanur series (Cherryh), or The Warrior's Apprentice (Bujold). Except for Brin, these are all basically Fantasy-in-Space! And among my all-time favorites. Heck, I might just have to send one to you.  :D
My library doesn't have any of these - just 3 from Bujold, which after looking on amazon are 'vorkosian saga novels' (outside the 'real' series?)
No need for you to send anything, thanks :)
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: September 08, 2017, 08:10:36 PM »
@ScarletBea,

My library doesn't have any of these - just 3 from Bujold, which after looking on amazon are 'vorkosian saga novels' (outside the 'real' series?)

Which vorkosigan?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: September 08, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
@ScarletBea,

Which vorkosigan?

@Jmack you sound like a parent forcing a child to eat it's vegetables ;-)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10957 on: September 08, 2017, 09:36:55 PM »
Which vorkosigan?

;D

They have Cryoburn, Captain Vorpatril's alliance and Gentleman Jole and the red queen.
None really caught my eye, to be honest...

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10958 on: September 09, 2017, 01:35:58 AM »
Which vorkosigan?

;D

They have Cryoburn, Captain Vorpatril's alliance and Gentleman Jole and the red queen.
None really caught my eye, to be honest...

Trying to force feed luscious cake.  :D

Yeah, those three aren't where you need to start and aren't the best.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »
Two SF books that are unusual are Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi and Hollow World by Michael J Sullivan. Try them sometime @ScarletBea, I believe you would enjoy them. As you liked Ketty Jay, which is called steampunk but is also basically like space opera, you may also enjoy Becky Chambers A Long Way to  a Small Angry Planet. That is excellent SF and none of these three are full of techy terms, more on plot and characters.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10960 on: September 10, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
From all the descriptions I've seen, A Long... I'm not typing that. It doesn't seem at all similar to Ketty Jay.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: September 10, 2017, 02:44:46 AM »
From all the descriptions I've seen, A Long... I'm not typing that. It doesn't seem at all similar to Ketty Jay.

I agree , I really enjoyed Ketty Jay but I didn't feel anything for A long ...
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10962 on: September 10, 2017, 06:04:52 AM »
I read three shorties in the Rogues anthology by GRRM. But a few days later I started Golden Son by Pierce Brown and 5 chapters in and am totally hooked.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10963 on: September 10, 2017, 06:38:09 AM »
It's absolutely not like Ketty Jay, but that wasn't what Lady_Ty meant. She made a list and those were items on the list, not two books compared to each other.
I think that she meant that Bea may like it because it's not full of technical terms.
Only way it is similar is that you have a quite diverse crew with 'real' characters.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:39:50 AM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: September 10, 2017, 07:46:24 AM »
It's absolutely not like Ketty Jay, but that wasn't what Lady_Ty meant. She made a list and those were items on the list, not two books compared to each other.
I think that she meant that Bea may like it because it's not full of technical terms.
Only way it is similar is that you have a quite diverse crew with 'real' characters.

Thank you xiagan, exactly what I meant. ;D  Diverse crews, intriguing characters, floating around above firm land having hair-raising adventures and good to read.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders