November 18, 2017, 07:33:11 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1158359 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10890 on: August 22, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »
Do I continue with this series?

If you asking this question to any series then I think you know deep down that it really isn't for you. It will never become a five star series for you. Any  minor flaws you see will be magnified and irritate you no end.

I read them as a welcome escape and comfort read when sick in bed for a while, and agree they are lightweight, but the overall humour made me smile. I enjoyed the grim truths about history, which is usually dressed up to look pretty without the smells and grime. If you have begun analysing them definitely time to give up, as Eclipse says, you will find annoyances. On other hand, hope they served the purpose at the time. :)
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10891 on: August 22, 2017, 10:51:13 PM »
I liked Just One Damned Thing After Another, it rather reminded me at times of a very light version of Connie Willis' Oxford time traveller books. I think the first one was self published. Anyway I liked it enough to order the sequel.

Lady_Ty put me in the way of Jodi Taylor's books and there are a huge number of them now. The are extremely readable while being incredibly annoying. As an author she repeatedly sets rules and then breaks them when convenient and having just finished the 4th and then throws random stuff in to work the plot.

Spoiler for Hiden:
A small war is fought, In which the physical properties of the universe are changed to make flour a deadly weapon (trust me anything ground small enough can explode in the right conditions and those described were not them) people die and are maimed. Then an inquiry is held by the winners and  because the requisite number of directors of the time police are present they vote to dismantle them. Despite them being the victors and being in complete control and some of those directors being held prisoner by the time police

I had to go back and reread as I couldn't believe what was on the kindle. Do I continue with this series?
I'd put them aside for a while and then go back to them if you feel the need. I also recommend the Connie Willis books as a sort of antidote. They have humour (well maybe not Doomsday Book), but also treat the whole time travel thing and the responsibility of the historian with a lot more seriousness. So far every entry Connie has made in that particular series has won the Hugo for whatever category it happened to fit into.

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Half a King
  • The mind loves to race at night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: August 23, 2017, 12:28:47 AM »
Just finished Michael R. Fletcher's Beyond Redemption, which I enjoyed a lot and I might get the next book in the series, Mirror's Truth. Though I'm also considering Max Gladstone's Two Serpents Rise as I enjoyed the first part of his Craft Series, Three Parts Dead, when I read it last year.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10893 on: August 23, 2017, 02:37:46 AM »
Just finished Michael R. Fletcher's Beyond Redemption, which I enjoyed a lot and I might get the next book in the series, Mirror's Truth. Though I'm also considering Max Gladstone's Two Serpents Rise as I enjoyed the first part of his Craft Series, Three Parts Dead, when I read it last year.

Yay, welcome to the Mad Side!
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10894 on: August 23, 2017, 08:36:08 AM »
I finished Jemisin's Stone Sky.
Oh my... what a fantastic book!!!

I still stand by what I wrote in the other thread:
I can't recommend Jemisin's Broken Earth series enough, and this last book is fast becoming my favourite.
The first had the element of surprise, of novelty, this one goes deep into the big questions, like humanity and respect, wrapped up in a fantastic world and writing.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10895 on: August 23, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts on the chronicles of st. Mary's leaving them alone for the moment is pretty  much what I had concluded. The faults are far from minor but they are a fun read.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Lets start with you can't interfere with time. The timeline fights back if you do and historians get killed and broken for having the tiniest influence on where they have travelled. Yet Max's love interest comes back from future to set up the fledgling St.Mary's? Gets Max pregnant and kills people on that and other timelines and seems immune to the rules.
 The muse of time exists, in the form of Mrs Partridge one of Zues's daughters. This would grant credence to the whole Greek Pantheon being real or at least the existence of Zeus. An all powerful Greek god seems to be cool with humans being able to travel to a point he didn't exist and deliberately or inadvertently ensuring he never does. Yep that sounds just like the father of the gods to me.
 Killing people does not prevent them existing on other timelines.

I could go on.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10896 on: August 23, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts on the chronicles of st. Mary's leaving them alone for the moment is pretty  much what I had concluded. The faults are far from minor but they are a fun read.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Lets start with you can't interfere with time. The timeline fights back if you do and historians get killed and broken for having the tiniest influence on where they have travelled. Yet Max's love interest comes back from future to set up the fledgling St.Mary's? Gets Max pregnant and kills people on that and other timelines and seems immune to the rules.
 The muse of time exists, in the form of Mrs Partridge one of Zues's daughters. This would grant credence to the whole Greek Pantheon being real or at least the existence of Zeus. An all powerful Greek god seems to be cool with humans being able to travel to a point he didn't exist and deliberately or inadvertently ensuring he never does. Yep that sounds just like the father of the gods to me.

I could go on.

I've never read it but I don't think you should carry on with it , this books from the blurbs I read are just meant to be fluffy not to be taken serious you need to hold in your disbelief.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10897 on: August 23, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

I could go on.

I've never read it but I don't think you should carry on with it , this books from the blurbs I read are just meant to be fluffy not to be taken serious you need to hold in your disbelief.
There is that and also the whole premise of time travel just simply does not work when you try and think about it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10898 on: August 23, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
the whole premise of time travel just simply does not work when you try and think about it.

Oh it works just at a regulated speed and in one direction.
Time is just natures way of ensuring everything doesn't happen at once.

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #10899 on: August 23, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
Reading Blackwing by Ed McDonald and it is living up to the hype for me, very interesting worldbuilding, a solid voice for the POV and a pacey read.

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #10900 on: August 23, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »
Now reading Blood Rites (Dresden Files #6), and my odd relationship with the series continues. These are good books and I enjoy them, but I never look forward to reading them. They sit on my tbr shelf until I pick one up out of a sense of obligation. Then I read it, enjoy it, and look at the next in the series with a 'meh' feeling. Can't quite pin down why I feel this way. The only problem I've had while reading them was a scene involving a chainsaw in book 4 (?). I know it's fantasy, but there is no way Murphy would be able to sue a chainsaw as described.

As an aside, I've been picking these up from charity shops and the like, so my collection is incomplete. I've skipped over Death Masks, and I'll have to skip ahead again because after 6, I only have Turn Coat onward. I don't usually skip around, but I'm feeling rebellious.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10901 on: August 23, 2017, 09:52:22 PM »
Now reading Blood Rites (Dresden Files #6), and my odd relationship with the series continues. These are good books and I enjoy them, but I never look forward to reading them. They sit on my tbr shelf until I pick one up out of a sense of obligation. Then I read it, enjoy it, and look at the next in the series with a 'meh' feeling. Can't quite pin down why I feel this way. The only problem I've had while reading them was a scene involving a chainsaw in book 4 (?). I know it's fantasy, but there is no way Murphy would be able to sue a chainsaw as described.

As an aside, I've been picking these up from charity shops and the like, so my collection is incomplete. I've skipped over Death Masks, and I'll have to skip ahead again because after 6, I only have Turn Coat onward. I don't usually skip around, but I'm feeling rebellious.

Whatever you do, don't skip Dead Beat. It has my favorite scene in the entire series.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10902 on: August 24, 2017, 04:27:32 AM »

That sounds good. I'm planning on moving to Fool's Moon (Dresden Fles #2) right after I finished The Waste Lands (Dark Tower #3)

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Half a King
  • The mind loves to race at night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: August 24, 2017, 05:17:39 PM »
So I did a late birthday splurge and got the Craft Sequence, all 5 of Max Gladstone's Craft books together as one e-book, and Michael J. Sullivan's Age of Myth which had been on my potential buy list for a few months now.

Decided to go with the Sullivan first, as I've never read any of his stuff before. Only up to chapter 4 so far, but I'm enjoying what I've read of the book.

Offline Yora

« Reply #10904 on: August 24, 2017, 06:12:50 PM »
I started reading the Zothique stories by Clark Ashton Smith. Very unconventinal style. They read more like summaries or fables in which no character is given any characterization or agency. Even compared to his Hyperborea stories, which are already pretty hazy and unfocused. They usually start with someone who has a goal, reaches it very quickly, loses it in a somewhat humorous manner, and then everyone is dead. Which includes the somewhat famous among fans and awesomely named Empire of the Necromancers, from which I had expected something more grander.
Wouldn't say it's bad though, yet.
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!