September 21, 2017, 06:41:06 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1138177 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10860 on: August 15, 2017, 04:36:37 AM »
Finished Storm Front (Dresden Files #1), and I have just ordered all the other books in the series until Skin Game. I have moved up to become a permanent follower of this magical adventure series now.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:40:04 AM by S. K. Inkslinger »
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: August 15, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »
Shame. i was waiting to see if you'd join me in the not-a-fan club.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: August 15, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »

If it makes you feel better Nora I didn't like Rivers of London.
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10863 on: August 15, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
Still reading The Stone Sky, and I'd forgotten about second person POV.
You hardly ever see books written in second, do you? It's always 1st or 3rd...

And the story continues to be amazing. You can't help but link it to all the events currently taking place around the world, even though it was written well before this started...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Soulfinder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • Do Something Write
« Reply #10864 on: August 15, 2017, 10:27:04 AM »
Stone Sky is definitely up next on my list -- the first books are amazing -- though I just started Half a King, so we'll see how that goes! :o

Offline Smonin

« Reply #10865 on: August 15, 2017, 11:44:43 AM »
Second person would feel weird, just because we're not used to it. If this book is that good, I might give it a try anyway. God bless Kindle samples!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #10866 on: August 15, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »
I've just started The Ninth Rain by somebody or other that nobody here will ever have heard of :p
Damn it's good.
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: August 15, 2017, 01:37:25 PM »
Started Caliban's war, the second expanse book, and it doesn't disappoint so far. Doing a good job of introducing new characters.
My only beef with the books so far is that they don't take orbital paths seriously. They say stuff like "going towards earth is like going towards mars" without any reference to "at this time". Sometimes Mars is close, sometimes it's very far away with inconvenient paths. I understand their drive system makes slingshots a bit pointless but I wish they wouldn't have such a static view of the solar system.
It's really the only noticeable flaw in the series so far.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Peat

« Reply #10868 on: August 15, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »

If it makes you feel better Nora I didn't like Rivers of London.

Further proof people from the Midlands aren't to be trusted!

I enjoyed it. Possibly it helps that I'm from London and do get the references, but I think ultimately its more that I really like wry, ironic, detached voices that never stop laughing. That said, I didn't rush out to get the sequels, which suggests I too enjoyed the voice less by the end than by the start.

I recently finished on the Eli Monpress books which I'd describe as decent but little more on everything but the world building, which I love.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10869 on: August 15, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
Finished Storm Front (Dresden Files #1), and I have just ordered all the other books in the series until Skin Game. I have moved up to become a permanent follower of this magical adventure series now.  ;D
If you're binging it like I did, looks like you're stuck for 3 months considering your reading speed is about the same as mine.
It was actually 4 months for me, but it was awesome. There will be high points and low points. Don't give up on the low points.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10870 on: August 16, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
I didn't really love Orbital Decay by Allen Steele. For all its pretenses to be near-future - I think it's actually set in 2016 - it was very much a book about 1989, when it was written. Nothing at all had changed, except that we had a few space stations. All the cultural references were 70s and 80s. They still used cassette tapes and video tapes. The world political situation was still exactly the same. Most of all, I didn't much care for the tone of it. It was a bit too matey.

Depressing too, that the big bad they risk their lives to oppose - the security services having the ability to monitor private calls and scan for keywords - is something that has pretty much come to pass and has been waved through to general public indifference.

Anyway, I pushed through to finish it yesterday, and started Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones, which I seem to be 25% through already. I'm really enjoying this. It's light and fun and self-aware. I've seen the Ghibli version, but don't seem to remember much about it. At least until after I read about it. And based on Tales from Earthsea, I'm not too worried about spoilers anyway.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10871 on: August 16, 2017, 04:31:12 PM »
Howl's Moving Castle was super fun!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10872 on: August 16, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »
didn't really love Orbital Decay by Allen Steele. For all its pretenses to be near-future - I think it's actually set in 2016 - it was very much a book about 1989, when it was written. Nothing at all had changed, except that we had a few space stations. All the cultural references were 70s and 80s. They still used cassette tapes and video tapes. The world political situation was still exactly the same. Most of all, I didn't much care for the tone of it. It was a bit too matey.

sorry you didn't enjoy. For reference DDS/dat tap is video LTO is 8 track. some fly by wire systems use tape back up currently. The space station still uses transistors for some functions as they are more reliable than chips and easier to replace.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10873 on: August 17, 2017, 06:59:19 AM »
Starting The Waste Lands (Dark Tower #3) by Stephen King. Intriguing series as always.
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #10874 on: August 18, 2017, 04:17:06 AM »
Ok just finished City of Stairs.  I was pretty uncomfortable with it through the second to last chapter, with
Spoiler for Hiden:
Jukov my fav character dying, and being unhappy that the protag was a fascist imperialist that actually *caused* all the casualties they're counting at the end, and that the only foil to her imperialism was Vo an uber-rich elite who's idea of liberty was capitalism???? not just *capitalism* but military industrial capitalism UGGGHHHHHH

But then the very last chapter, particularly the convo by the fireside, was really thoughtful and made the whole book worth it. 

So, it's the first (and probably ONLY) book I've (and ever will) read without a Table of Contents and no numbers on the chapters (seriously, someone needs to flog everyone involved-- a ToC and numbers is just common f*ing courtesy-- this isn't a 50 cent chapbook/zine you xeroxed at kinkos, Put a goddamn table of contents for christ sake)

...but I have to say I'm really glad I read it.