August 18, 2017, 10:55:41 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1122989 times)

Offline Stew Hotston

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10815 on: August 01, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »
Lament for the Fallen which is quite extraordinary.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10816 on: August 01, 2017, 10:53:29 PM »
Reading some History now. City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas by Roger Crowley.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #10817 on: August 02, 2017, 12:03:09 AM »
Catching up to date with my reading. Currently on Court of Broken Knives. Brilliantly bloody opening. Reminded me of the prison riot in Raid 2

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #10818 on: August 02, 2017, 06:13:48 AM »
A lot of my facebook friends are reading Ready Player One.

They hate it. 

A lot.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10819 on: August 02, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
A lot of my facebook friends are reading Ready Player One.

They hate it. 

A lot.
Do they say why?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: August 02, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
Justin Jordan, a comic book writer friend, offered probably the most in depth (and savage) of the reviews floating in my fb feed:

Quote from: Justin Jordan
Things I have learned reading 32% of Ready Player One
1. This book is godawful
2. There's literally no plot for the first 18% of the book. A fifth of the book. LITERALLY. NO. PLOT.
3. This book is godawful.
4. The author either doesn't know how far 5 kilometers is, or hasn't thought through the effect of limiting the people on a particular world, a school world, to a not very fast walk. Although later the character sprints.
5. As yet, the nostalgia is.....listing things from the 80's. Not anything about why these things are special, or what made them interesting, or anything. Just....listing them.
6. I've read seven other books while getting to 32% of Ready Player One.
7. Even if the rest of this book is amazing, it's not going to make up for this 32%.
8. Even if Spielberg makes a movie worse than 1941, it will still be better than the source material.
9. Seriously, what is wrong with you people.
10. This book is godawful.

Here's another one:

One of the most poorly written books I've ever read, like someone used software to turn a screenplay into a book. Could not finish it

another one:

Quote from:  David Allen
After I finished this book I felt like had received a drunken handjob from Harry Knowles in the dirtiest bathroom at ComicCon.

This one is a comment, but it seemed pretty detailed:

Quote from:  Alex Getchell
It's basically DIET CAFFEINE FREE SNOW CRASH, except fun is replaced by references. The jokes are replaced with references. It's nothing but a list of references. The Stack is just The Raft except mobile homes. Instead of cool shit like a chaingun duel on the deck of The Raft, the protagonist plays PAC MAN. Instead of YT's crazed date with Raven, you get an entire section of Monty Python quotes. The prose is shit, and every time you stumble upon a good line you realize that it's just a movie line you forgot.

It's complete garbage. The hero is constantly stroking himself off over being attracted to women who aren't perfectly and conventionally attractive. The Japanese characters do not stop talking about honor for a single second and are SUPER impressed with how honorable the hero is.

A lot of people who hated this book seemed to like Snow Crash so there's that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:10:06 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: August 02, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »
Ah, man you make me feel better about DNFing this book in the first chapter.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: August 02, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »
I'm finding the reviews pretty entertaining tho.  I added some more above @Nora

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10823 on: August 02, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
I love those reviews, but especially the first one. The book sucks, and the movie will be better. Of this I am certain.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #10824 on: August 02, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »
By no means did I think it was a great book but I also didn't hate it.  It has a Sunday afternoon cable action movie feeling to it for me, something that I didn't really think to hard about but kept me reasonably entertained.

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10825 on: August 04, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
I finished Tropic of serpents (Marie Brennan) and I really liked it.
Sometimes you just want books that skip over any (potential) battles and war, being mainly focused on a character that is strong, smart, totally a product of her time AND of the future to come. I'm really loving Isabella :D

Next? To be decided...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10826 on: August 05, 2017, 04:26:32 AM »
I've just finished The Way of Kings, and yup, it had become my most favorite book of all time. 5/5  :D

The worldbuilding, the characterization, the plot is all perfectly crafted. Again, Sanderson stunned me with the width and depth of his creativity in conjuring up an entire new world, with new landscapes, species of plant lives and animals, and even the constellations themselves. That is an amazing point within itself, but what I loved most is the characterization. The characterization of Kaladin and Dalinar are truly, intricately exceptional. They were masterfully done, every aspects of their past (especially Kaladin) and character explored in depth, their actions and muses thought-provoking and contemplative.
Full goodreads review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1886705450

Although the end of the book does hinted at future plots which sounded extremely familar... Mistborn familar. I wonder if the plot of The Stormlight Archives would be the same in the future?

Moving onto Storm Front, the first of the Dresden Files next!
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10827 on: August 05, 2017, 07:06:35 AM »
I've just finished The Way of Kings, and yup, it had become my most favorite book of all time. 5/5  :D

I don't know if this is a sign of times, but years ago I would jump in very quickly at the prospect of a 1000+ pages book... and today it's what actually puts me off it despite the book having an absurd 4.64 average rating with more than 160k ratings.

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10828 on: August 05, 2017, 07:30:52 AM »

I don't know if this is a sign of times, but years ago I would jump in very quickly at the prospect of a 1000+ pages book... and today it's what actually puts me off it despite the book having an absurd 4.64 average rating with more than 160k ratings.

It's long, that's true. On the other hand, I've almost never felt bored through any parts of the books, despite the lenght of a thousand pages. Despite Kaladin spending the whole book doing bridgeruns, Shallan stuck on her studies, and Dalinar going about his war camps. I thoroughly and explicitly enjoyed reading The Name of the Wind, but I'll admit that some parts do bored me out a little (kvothe being a street rat for example), but I almost never felt any of those feelings while reading The Way of Kings. There were even many chapters near the end that closes with clever twists and revelations, leaving me excited for the next chapter. To cap it all off, as expected from Brandon Sanderson, the Sanderstorm-style ending at the end was utterly amazing, action-packed and yet managing to be emotionally impacting at the same time. I was practically hugging the book by the end of the read.  ;D
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline Peat

« Reply #10829 on: August 05, 2017, 08:57:09 AM »
Finished Temeraire by Naomi Novik.

A huge lot of fun but, at the end, I found myself a little put off by the fact the plot was more a set of connected scenarios than any overarching rise and conquest of menace. It robbed the end fight of any dramatic tension and made it boring.

Will now start hunting down the others.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/