September 20, 2019, 11:57:02 PM

Author Topic: What is GUNS & DRAGONS?  (Read 12285 times)

Offline Overlord

• Ruler of the Realm
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
    • http://fantasy-faction.com
What is GUNS & DRAGONS?
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:26:47 AM »
Thank you so much to the Fantasy-Faction community who have always been so quick to support and encourage us on our increasing array of projects. Because you've all been a part of this journey (even helping us decide upon the theme!), we've decided to release details about the upcoming Guns & Dragons anthology here first.

What is GUNS & DRAGONS?

GUNS & DRAGONS is an anthology that will bring together twenty SFF tales. Seventeen stories will be written by some of the world’s most renowned authors and three will come from a writing competition to discover new talent.

Why guns and dragons?

Dragons: ancient and wise, holding the secrets of the universe; fire-breathing monsters protecting their hordes of gold; genetically modified beasts capable of travelling through time and space; or immortal beings worshipped for their god-like abilities?

Guns: protection against a hostile race; tools of redemption or revenge; a turning point in history; or instrument threatening planetary destruction?

GUNS & DRAGONS invites authors to create wondrous scenarios that combine two of the most iconic, versatile, and powerful elements of SFF. High magic, low magic. Ancient, modern, or futuristic. We have invited authors to show us how these great beasts can coexist with one of the most deadly weapons ever invented.

What kind of stories are you looking for?

Fantasy, science fiction and all their subgenres are invited. Hybrids are encouraged.

Will you be representing SFF and authors appropriately?

It is important to us that this anthology is diverse in every sense of the word. This extends beyond the genres being written in through to the authors we are inviting to submit work.

An anthology called GUNS & DRAGONS could simply be a book containing only high-octane ‘man with gun vs ferocious dragon’ stories. Although we would like this type of story represented, we have invited our authors to be creative with the ways guns and dragons are used, who is using/interacting with them, and how the worlds of the dragons and guns collide.

What length will the stories be?

We will be inviting authors to submit stories of 3000, 5000 or 8000 words.

In addition to the anthology, what else can readers expect?

Over the course of around 18 months, we will be running cross-media content related to the anthology. This will include video/audio/text-based interviews and guest posts on Fantasy-Faction. We will also be producing behind the scenes content along our journey towards the completed anthology. My hope, too, is that we can run some short story advice content from the professional authors and get permission from authors to break a few short stories down to analyse what we love about them too.

What are the details for the contest?

More information on the contest will be release VERY soon! :) Authors will have a good 3 months to write their stories, so don't worry!

When will it be published?

We will look to publish the anthology between February and March 2017.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:36:15 AM by Overlord »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: What is GUNS & DRAGONS?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 12:17:59 PM »
No LIKE button!?

Seriously, Marc, everyone has been so excited to get more information.
This is sounding great.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 12:25:34 PM »
OMG yiiiiisssss at last!

I will definitely try to write something for this even though the competition looks like it will be horrendous!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:43:12 PM »
YES! Looking forward to this :D

I'll try and submit something if I'm eligible to do so.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:44:44 PM by CameronJohnston »

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 02:52:19 PM »
OOOOH OOOOH I'M SO EXCITED I ALREADY HAVE A STORY WRITTEN AND EVERYTHING THIS IS AWESOME!!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:59:20 PM »
OOOOH OOOOH I'M SO EXCITED I ALREADY HAVE A STORY WRITTEN AND EVERYTHING THIS IS AWESOME!!

wow all caps for our m3m is going-to-the-moon-and-back excitement ;D

I can confirm his story is FAB!!!
Marc, he's got my seal of approval ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ultamentkiller

• Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
I'm excited for this! I don't read most anthologies, but this one is so unique I'll have to check it out.

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 06:23:57 PM »

wow all caps for our m3m is going-to-the-moon-and-back excitement ;D

I can confirm his story is FAB!!!
Marc, he's got my seal of approval ;)

*blush*

i have to thank @Raptori -- he provided an amazing critique for me, and i'm super-appreciative of the impact he added.  the story wasn't nearly as strong before i had his input.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 12:10:33 AM »
How is the selection of the three stories going to work? Is it decided backstage by FF staff? I suppose we can't keep it to a FF vote since people from fb or the internet might want to join in... Will we have to send them like normal submissions?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 01:15:02 AM »
Well I know what I'll be doing once I finish my coursework.  :D
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Overlord

• Ruler of the Realm
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
    • http://fantasy-faction.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »
How is the selection of the three stories going to work? Is it decided backstage by FF staff? I suppose we can't keep it to a FF vote since people from fb or the internet might want to join in... Will we have to send them like normal submissions?

Not for this one, no. The editors will decide like the last anthology :)

There will be a contest with a submission form on the main site. The form will accept .doc, .rtf, etc.

Last time we had around 1700 entries... so it'll be fun ;)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 09:18:59 AM »
1700 to THREE slots? Hot damn!  ;D no way a beginner like me would make these odds but hell, it'll be fun as you say!

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
1700?  Yikes, that's some long odds there! Well, we will have to try our best and polish our stories until they shine.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 11:51:54 PM »
*gulp*

nope.  not intimidated at all.

*pulls at collar*

not in the slightest.

Offline DrMclony

• Coreling
  • SF Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 04:57:55 AM »
Long odds, but it could certainly be a fun distraction! I'll be looking forward to more information.