April 24, 2017, 04:30:20 AM

Author Topic: Your favorite spirits, beers, and wines  (Read 495 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: Your favorite spirits, beers, and wines
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »
I tend to go for the Jura Superstition when I don't want a whisky quite so medicinal. Still has a smoky kick to it though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:13:29 PM by CameronJohnston »
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hedin

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 12:34:31 PM »
Since I have started brewing beer I obviously love beer.  My favorite style are Hefeweizens (Weihenstephaner is my favorite) and then going to the others in the wheat family (Belgian and American styles).  I'm just as happy though with a nice IPA, or pils, or pale ale, or larger, and so on.  Basically the only thing I don't like to drink that much are stouts and porters but I'll have one on occasion. 

Anyway, we also adore Belgian beer, which really is unlike any other sort of beer. It's not new-fangled craft, it's hundreds of years of historical production in fascinating styles. My husband loves the lambics, which are brewed with natural yeasts that consume more sugar and are therefore very sour, and often have fruit added. But my favourites are the abbey-style, and especially the Trappist beers. These tend to be big, rich flavours - I've had beers that taste leathery, or even gunpowdery. Westvleteren is often touted as the best in the world, though I suspect that's partly driven by rarity, as it's a small production and until recently wasn't available anywhere except from the source. (I've tried one, it was a little too mouldy-bread for me.) My absolute favourite beer in the world is Rochefort 10, which for my money is like drinking Christmas: a warm armchair snuggle with fruity flavours.

I wish I had kept track of the beers I drank when I was in Belgium because I had a lot of good ones that I don't actually remember what they were (which means I'll just have to rediscover them one day).  I did have a Westy 12 when I was there and I thought it was damn good.  I'm not sure I would put it at the top of the list but it was definitely up there and I would love to have it again.  I do like the Rocheforts but I prefer 8 over 10.

As for wine I only drink white wines (reds are generally too dry for me) and of those Rieslings are my favorite.  I pretty much never drink liquor but if I were a vodka with sprite/7up would be my preferred drink...well not counting margaritas.

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »
Odd that with my sweet tooth, my tastes vary much more widely than most who've posted so far. For beers I like hefeweizen's and pilsners. I enjoy Heineken, Stella, Newcastle, and Blue Moon, but my favorite specific beer remains Tusker from. S. Africa, though I don't know what it is. I love muscato and roscato wines for their sweetness and light effervescence, and there are several rich red wines that make me smile, esp. one called Golden Rose produced by a small vineyard in Tennessee. This recently discovered Tullamore Dew Irish whisky is just amazing and a surprise.

For cocktails I'm omnivorous, but I love tequila and rum and vodka and ... hehehehe, anything wet and strong.

But by a long way, my favorite drink is mead. I will drink mead to devastating excess, although I don't like the ones tainted (as I call it :) ) with fruit and other additions. It's an acquired taste, and I acquired it with gusto. It has  the worst hangover in the world, by far. But that's the price one pays for such delicious sweetness and overwhelming sense that England could and should be raided by sea.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 01:30:43 AM »
But by a long way, my favorite drink is mead. I will drink mead to devastating excess, although I don't like the ones tainted (as I call it :) ) with fruit and other additions. It's an acquired taste, and I acquired it with gusto. It has  the worst hangover in the world, by far. But that's the price one pays for such delicious sweetness and overwhelming sense that England could and should be raided by sea

Proof once again that TGC can make the most mundane of posts into s0mething delightful.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online cupiscent

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 10:06:56 AM »
Once at a wedding in the wilds of Russia (a long story all by itself) we tried - and indeed were gifted with a bottle of - something called medovukha, which is as related to mead as its name implies (i.e. they are both made with honey). I seem to remember liking it better than I'd liked mead, but then again, my only encounter with mead was a movie-based drinking game in my misspent youth.

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 11:50:34 PM »
OK I will play. Being ancient and not liking drinking alone I acquire alcohol much faster than I drink it (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it)

I am partial to good scotch (although it likes me less and less) Gin and good red wine.  A little of something really good being better than too much of something that isn't.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:54:12 PM by Rostum »

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »
^ for me, the things behind the bottles (meercat! child!) are much more interesting ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 01:34:03 PM »
The Meerkat is an old birthday card that I love art by Becky Brown check out her work
http://becky-brown.com/Contact-Info
Between is A post card of Victorian gentlemen that says "there is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" and the child is a photo I took of my Nephew a couple of years back.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:14:59 PM by Rostum »

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
The Meerkat is an old birthday card that I love art by Becky Brown check out her work
http://becky-brown.com/Contact-Info
Wow!
I'm not than keen on animal pictures, but I love these 2:
Spoiler for Hiden:

"there is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot"
;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »
rostum makes me want to share the scotch portion of my bookshelf.

mmm . . . scotch.

Tags: