September 17, 2019, 04:03:09 AM

Author Topic: Whose ready to lose an hour of sleep sunday!! 3/13  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Bryndled1

Whose ready to lose an hour of sleep sunday!! 3/13
« on: March 06, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
Yup, that time of year again when us poor "daylight savings" peeps get to lose an hour of sleep. The whole point was so that the farmers didnt have to milk their cows and work on their crops in the dark... but really how many people are actually doing that any more? Hasnt everyone been assimilated into the corporate monolith... down with daylight savings I say!

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Re: Whose ready to lose an hour of sleep sunday!! 3/13
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »
Noooooooooooooo! :(  I HATE the stupid time change! >:(  I know there are still a lot of farmers, but they have electric lights now, they can work in the dark for an extra month, it won't kill them. :P

Offline UnforgivingMuse

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
So here's the deal: a few thousand farmers don't have to work in the dark, or several tens of millions of people having to change their clocks, plus the lost business from folks forgetting, or being late for work, as well as the few billion neurons I lose even thinking about it.

Couldn't the farmers just set their alarms for a different time? Surely the cows won't mind; most of them can't even tell the time.

Offline Bryndled1

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:35:28 PM »
Lucky Arizona.. they get a free pass from daylight savings...... growl..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:16:49 PM by Bryndled1 »

Offline Noona

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
I think it really depends where you are - I live in the North of England and here in the middle of winter the sun rises at past 8am and sets at around 4pm - if it were different then we'd not have any sun until after 9am, which seems a little extreme and depressing in the morning. I'd rather change my clocks than not see any sunlight if I worked indoors. I imagine in the northern parts of the US (and Canada) that the clock change is quite helpful.

However, that said, I imagine further south where the days aren't quite so short in winter it doesn't make all that much difference, and in the UK our winter time is, I suppose, standard time and it's our summer time that is different by an hour.
(Also, a note for people in the UK, our clocks change on the weekend of the 26th/27th, so two weeks later.)

Offline Tiffany Kysis Tackett

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:59:50 PM »
Losing an hour during spring break is just not cool.  Thank you for reminding me about the change, though.  I'll need to fiddle with my clocks.

Offline Ice Bear

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »
I think the Farmers/School/Work thing is misleading. You can always change the hours which things start and finish. The one true constant is that the ratio of daylight/night does not change overnight just because us humans change our clocks. Commercially it might make sense for the UK to be on Central European Time, but where does one draw the line ........ perhaps we try to standardise too much whilst mother nature shows us variety and adaptation.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »
Trust me, the lack of daylight savings time is one of the (very) few perks of living in Arizona. 
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline AlexEatsBooks

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »
Urg, daylight savings always confuses me ¬.¬ when's Englands? It's coming up soon isn't it???
Even if it's remembered, a dream is just a dream.
Book Blog: http://www.alexeatsbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Libertine

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:38:30 PM »
It's in two weeks time for us in the UK. I'll be at the York Festival of Writing that weekend so losing an hour's sleep is not going to be a good thing at all. *Sigh*
Libertine - Chapters One & Two available now on http://www.sandranorval.co.uk/2.html
Follow Libertine on twitter on @enterthetwixt or me on @sandranorval
Get Writing 2012 - Book now : http://www.vwc.org.uk/getwriting2012.php

Offline Ekoja

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 12:08:12 AM »
Funny little tidbit. Each town used to follow it's own clock and the exact time was very lax and yes, based on the position of the sun. Our current system of time with time zones and everything came from the railroad industry. So when you wake up on Sunday morning and lose that hour feel free to curse the trains instead of the farmers.

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 04:51:07 AM »
Funny little tidbit. Each town used to follow it's own clock and the exact time was very lax and yes, based on the position of the sun. Our current system of time with time zones and everything came from the railroad industry. So when you wake up on Sunday morning and lose that hour feel free to curse the trains instead of the farmers.

Or, failing that, do what I do on waking up every Sunday, and curse the trains, the farmers, the sun shining in through the window like the flashlight of God's security guard, whichever small animal crept into my mouth and defecated during the night, the continued employment of that brain shatteringly cheerful DJ on Metro Radio, the lack of a machine to precook bacon so it's ready the instant I open my eyes and pretty much everything else in creation...
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »
I think in the UK it happens in a few weeks? Otherwise why is no one at work other than me... lol.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Bryndled1

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »
I think in the UK it happens in a few weeks? Otherwise why is no one at work other than me... lol.

Yup 2 more weeks for you! enjoy it while it lasts.. Muhahahha