August 19, 2019, 09:47:32 PM

Author Topic: What is your secondary genre?  (Read 8798 times)

Offline michaelramm

What is your secondary genre?
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:54:25 AM »
So obviously we are all here because we enjoy reading fantasy. We have preferences for stand alone novels or long fat series. We can argue about social commentary in fantasy.

But to take a break from all that (see I have a point) what are the other genres you really enjoy reading? Are you a military history buff? A biography nut? A closeted romance novel reader? Poetry?

My secondary reading is mainly computer books. I am in information technology and I read a lot of computer books whether it is learning a new skill or trying to keep up to date on my current skill set. My other love is Medieval history, especially the Crusades. You can see a good amount of Crusades books in my GoodReads profile.
Currently Reading: Hunted [Iron Druid #6]
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Re: What is your secondary genre?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »
Sci-fi for me. :)  Though I think they kind of go together a lot of the time, so I'm not sure if that counts. :)

Offline Overlord

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:41:10 AM »
I am just trying to think of a book I've read in another genre I enjoyed and can't really think of one... I'd probably say Sci-Fi. I used to read Star Trek books (enjoyed them too!) so I guess that is my only real answer for secondary genre.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Blodeuedd

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:19:46 AM »
A closeted romance novel reader?

Lol, no I am a very out there romance reader ;) Love contemporary and historical romance, but I am a woman  ::)

But right now I would say Urban Fantasy is second. Love the action, the worlds, and the tiny bit of romance they put it
----------------
Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell
http://books-forlife.blogspot.com

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »
I like mountaineering literature, being a climber myself.   ;D

Offline Noona

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »
Hmmm, I read a bit of sci-fi, but I'd count SF and Fantasy as largely the same thing. The only other thing I read is some classic stuff like Jules Verne or I'm currently reading Sherlock Holmes on the Kindle.
I quite enjoy historical fantasy/alternate histories, so I think I'd like some historical or historical mystery novels if I ever got around to it.

Offline Arthum

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Sci-Fi even I'd also put them together. As for other books I don't know how to qualify it I started reading Sniper One recently. A great book by Sergeant Dan Mills :) And I don't know what genre it is :/

Offline Tiffany Kysis Tackett

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
Though sci-fi should be considered my second genre, I like books that blend sci-fi and fantasy together, so it sort of counts as my first.

My second genre is the crime thriller.  All the better if there is a paranormal twist, or other fantastical elements.  I wouldn't go so far to say it's urban fantasy, because the crime, workings of the police, and the legal system are the focuses, the fantastical elements being secondary.

Offline AlexEatsBooks

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »
I used to read Star Trek books (enjoyed them too!) so I guess that is my only real answer for secondary genre.

Hurrah! Another Trek reader *laughs*
Yes, Sci-Fi definitely for me. I'm a BIG fan of Harry Harrison.
Interestingly enough YA is my first genre and Fantasy my third I guess. Though my NY resolution is to knock sci-fi from 2nd to 3rd *grins*
Even if it's remembered, a dream is just a dream.
Book Blog: http://www.alexeatsbooks.blogspot.com

Offline frankiehunter

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »
I dont know if paranormal romance is really a secondary genre.
to be more exactly i really like vampire novels (dont shake your head in disgust now please  ;) )
i really enjoyed lara adrians midnight breed series and as her next book comes out in september i've decided to change to "normal" fantasy to shorten the waiting time.
so i found brent weeks and this forum which was not a bad choice ;)
Nothing's true - anything is allowed!

Offline RAIMAZ

• Seeker
  • Writing makes the voices go away ;)
    • View Profile
    • Convergence 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »
SCI-FI!   ;D

Offline ganstream1

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
thriller, criminal, action.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »
hard core sci fi, pop history, history monographs that no one else reads...
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline Libertine

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »
I work as an environmental manager so do a lot of reading around that, especially biodiversity. In fact, as well as my urban fantasy book I am writing a book on biodiversity, demistifying it for non-academics. That one will be published on my website as I write it because I want to get the point out there, it's not so much about me being published!
Libertine - Chapters One & Two available now on http://www.sandranorval.co.uk/2.html
Follow Libertine on twitter on @enterthetwixt or me on @sandranorval
Get Writing 2012 - Book now : http://www.vwc.org.uk/getwriting2012.php

Offline BrendanCarroll

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »
I have to admit that it is Paranormal Romance.  OK, I know that is a little wierd sounding, but there are some very good books our there under this category.  I also like non-fiction books about the Crusades, the Knights Templar and other mysterious topics.  I'm an avid conspiracy theorist and I love to think "Look out, the sky is falling!" was not invented by Henny Penny, but rather by ancient chickens who mistakenly referred to UFO's as the sky falling because they had no frame of reference for comparison.
Assassin Chronicles ~The Red Cross of Gold Series
Available on Kindle at Amazon.com, Paperback at Amazon.com and also at Smashwords.com
http://tinyurl.com/Brendan-Carroll7