December 11, 2018, 08:35:11 PM

Author Topic: What's your jersey?  (Read 35668 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What's your jersey?
« Reply #390 on: July 09, 2018, 08:08:08 AM »
Saraband, you can do as I do and follow the World Cup through comments from other people, whatever bits of news I catch on TV when I browse and paying attention to the game in the last 5 minutes if it's a country I'm interested in...

I might have been the only person in England watching (the recorded) King Lear while the game was on, but then I turned on for the penalties ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 09, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
UK in.

England, not UK  :P

At this point I can't bring myself to care about any of the teams left. The limited attention that sports can claim from me has shifted entirely to Wimbledon  ;D

Who are you supporting in Wimbledon, I want Federer and Serena to win , or Rafa if Federer loses . I’m supporting the oldies.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 09, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »
Serena, Serena, Serena!  ;D For the Men's singles, since there's no Andy Murray this year, I want Novak Djokovic to win - but it has been a pleasure seeing how well Rafa Nadal and Federer are still playing, so I wouldn't be unhappy with any of them taking the trophy.
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 09, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »
Watching the Mannarino v Federer match just now, and wow, Federer's technique with those backhand slices is mesmerising.
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #394 on: July 10, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
France x Belgium. I'm expecting a great game. Both teams kept their cool when behind the score. Both had very powerful displays in their last two games. Easily the two best teams of the tournament.

Belgium has more offensive options (in numbers, maybe not quality) but France has more creative and control options. The pragmatic in me wants to bet France, but the simple fan wants Belgium x Croatia in the finals.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Peat

« Reply #395 on: July 10, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »
Saraband, you can do as I do and follow the World Cup through comments from other people, whatever bits of news I catch on TV when I browse and paying attention to the game in the last 5 minutes if it's a country I'm interested in...

I might have been the only person in England watching (the recorded) King Lear while the game was on, but then I turned on for the penalties ;D

It's the best time to go grocery shopping, hardly anyone else around.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 11, 2018, 06:02:13 AM »
Welp, rip Belgium  :(

Powerful play from both teams throughout the match (except for the stalling by France towards the end of the match which was a bit sad to watch.)

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 11, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »
Federer just eliminated by Kevin Anderson. What a match, went all the way to a fifth set and Anderson won 13-11  :o

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #398 on: July 11, 2018, 06:29:46 PM »
Well, it's gonna be soon!

For me Croatia has more team than England on paper, but geez... their main players have been playing so badly lately while the English's morale is super high. A team's morale and confidence growing during this stage is great.

Also, there's the fact that Croatia had not one but two penalty shoot-out decisions, and for such a short amount of rest between games, the effects on physical condition are massive.

Garreth Southgate must be smiling to himself for purposely losing to Belgium to get 2nd place in group stage to avoid the side of the table with the hardest opponents for an easy cruise to the final facing only average teams.

Yeah, it's looking like France x England.

What Mbappé does on the right for France, Sterling kinda of does as well in the left. Kane is so much better than Giroud. But the English really lack a Griezmann, defensive midfielders like Pogba and Umtiti, wing backs... that Pickford goalkeeper is a player type that is only revealed during World Cups. But there were some issues raised with his height, I believe? So far that didn't present a problem, but who knows, specially with all the previous games having all been decided on aerial game.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #399 on: July 11, 2018, 09:44:40 PM »
Wow, what a game!

Much earlier I posted I was pretty certain Croatia would reach the final... and they did! Their last two games were  horrendous and it looked like that they had faltered under the pressure of being favorites in the second phase and I thought England would have this, but finally... finally their key players woke up, played like monsters and decided the game.

I wanted Belgium x Croatia, but France x Croatia will do. Go Croatia!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #400 on: July 11, 2018, 09:46:30 PM »
Lanko is the new Paul (the Octopus ;D)

Oh well, it was already better than in many years :)
Go Croatia!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 11, 2018, 09:56:58 PM »
Heads held high. Gutted but proud.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 12, 2018, 02:27:18 AM »
Not really invested in this, but now I would like Croatia to have its first win ever.  ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #403 on: July 16, 2018, 03:01:45 AM »
I knew that after three extra times the physical side of Croatia would be a massive problem. Despite that, geez,  did Croatia get absolutely murdered by the referee...

Griezmann dives and scores because of a non-existant foul. Then a non-existant penalty. Two free goals for France.

The sportiness of the Croatian president and French coach later was fantastic and kinda of saved what was the most shameful final in the history of World Cups, and managing to steal that from Maradona's handball in 86 is no small feat. I was that indignant.

Anyway, congratulations for France, which did have a great team and two great players, but their best player today was Nestor Pitana.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 16, 2018, 06:45:21 AM »
Liking how happy the French are, but made me think of you @Eli_Freysson and that it is good you made your trip way back earlier this year. ;D

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-16/world-cup-france-and-croatia-fans-react-to-les-bleus-victory/9997324
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic