December 19, 2018, 09:53:20 AM

Author Topic: What's your jersey?  (Read 35732 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: What's your jersey?
« Reply #375 on: July 04, 2018, 01:55:43 AM »
As an occasional football fan, I struggle with the penalty-seeking, overly dramatic, and sometimes truly violent mean-spirited shite. Love the core of the game; hate that crap.

Was I watching with clarity when I say that Colombia just seemed meaner? I’d prefer being an educated viewer. Thoughts?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #376 on: July 04, 2018, 02:52:53 AM »
As an occasional football fan, I struggle with the penalty-seeking, overly dramatic, and sometimes truly violent mean-spirited shite. Love the core of the game; hate that crap.

Was I watching with clarity when I say that Colombia just seemed meaner? I’d prefer being an educated viewer. Thoughts?

The referee on that game was horrible, just horrible. He paused the game multiple times to just talk (and he talked waay too much) with the players instead of just punishing the infractions. Result: both teams thought they could simply overwhelm the referee and win decisions by screaming louder than the opponent. He should've sent off a Colombian player and didn't even verbally warn the multiple simulations by England.

In the second half the referee was probably warned of that and showed yellow cards left an right for both teams, even for infractions not worth of it, probably angering both teams even more.

Both teams's nerves got fired up with all this, and Colombia, losing the game, much more than the English. Then England started simulating fouls (there were 3 or 4 very laughable simulations) making the Colombians even more mad, specially when the referee didn't even verbally warn the divers. Already lost in the game, the referee didn't punish more forceful tackles by Colombians either.

Quite curiously, the referee was American  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 04, 2018, 07:26:19 AM »
Whisper it. But might it be coming home?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #378 on: July 06, 2018, 01:57:42 AM »
Well, it's tomorrow!

France x Uruguay. I'm betting on France for various reasons. First, overall they are a better team, specially if Cavani can't play. Second, since they are on the same path as us to the final, I prefer 100x to face France in the semis rather than Uruguay, even if the French have a better team.

Why is that? It's simply because of the unique take Uruguay have on the game. When you face Uruguay, you don't enter the pitch to play football. You enter the pitch to fight a war.

There will be lots of provocations, mind games, tackles fiercer than usual (though usually not disloyal), massive pressure on the referee, falling on the pitch or simulating injury to force the game to stop when the adversary is with a much better rhythm, etc... they do everything to make the opposing side lose composure and concentration. It's a tradition of their style.

This is why even though France is favored, they can very well lose if their coach doesn't prepare them for that. And since they might be our next foes, all this "war scenario" is pretty bad for us, considering the emotionally unstable prima donna that Neymar is.
He started the Cup diving, getting angry at defenders and costing attacks when he kept trying to dribble and humiliate them, complaining to referees and forgetting to just play. That changed in the last two games, but a heavy dose of Uruguyan gamemanship may be all it needs to make things go haywire.

So yea, I rather face France than Uruguay, all day.

On the other hand, if we lose to Belgium I wouldn't be that much upset. It's a really good team.

But the strength of our team is our defense. One goal suffered, and an illegal one at that. Recent conquests at 94 and 2002, and even back to Pelé times, were always won with very solid defenses, and fantastic teams losing it because of crappy ones.

Too bad Casemiro can't play tomorrow. The best defensive midfielder in the world has definitely helped the team having the best defense of the tournament. That could be Belgium's chance at the game.

Uruguay also has the best defense with only one goal suffered, but Arabia, Egypt (without Salah) and Russia were nowhere really testing. And France took 3 from a tactically broken Argentina.

Except for us and Belgium (curiously) all other teams are depending far too much on 1-2 players, and when they don't work the team's performance, specially on attack, drops dramatically. And their defense (except Uruguay) doesn't look as composed and strong either.

Brazil x France will probably be an anticipated final.

Yeah, the sixth is coming!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:00:25 AM by Lanko »

Offline Bender

« Reply #379 on: July 06, 2018, 04:28:24 AM »
Football (non-American)

NT - Argentina
Club - Manchester United

Football (American)

Green Bay Packers

Snooker

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Cricket

India

Rugby

All Blacks. Not a fan of the sport, but have lot of friends from there, so I support them too.

Not all those who wander are lost

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #380 on: July 06, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »
Wow!
@Henry Dale beat @Lanko  :o ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #381 on: July 06, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »
It's over  :'( :'(

Too bad Casemiro can't play tomorrow. The best defensive midfielder in the world has definitely helped the team having the best defense of the tournament. That could be Belgium's chance at the game.

How prophetic I was...

Casemiro's substitute made an own goal, lost the ball that originated the second goal and also missed a bazillion passes in the attack.

But props to Belgium. They definitely had the team to do it and they did it. I'm not even upset, specially since despite the anxiety, we had enough chances to turn the game around and kept missing... and Courtois will get a statue in Belgium.

And like us, they didn't rely solely on just one or two players. They had 4-5 decisive players like us. They hit our goal four times and made two goals. We hit theirs eleven and made one, plus some absurd chances gone outside.

France x Belgium now will probably decide the champion. The sports fan in me wants to see Belgium x Croatia at the final just to have an unprecedented champion.

And another landmark wasn't beaten. Except for Pelé in 58, a World Cup in Europe is... well, Europe's.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 06, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »
Not much to add to Lanko's analysis since he was spot on.
That own goal basically ruined Brazil's chances.
Does it make Belgium's victory less well-deserved? Obviously not. But you always hope for a proper match with clean goals.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #383 on: July 07, 2018, 12:27:00 AM »
Well, the Fantasy-Faction sweepstakes, I mean, the World Cup, rumbles on.

It unrealistic, but now I want Henry Dale vs. Overlord et al in the final.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #384 on: July 07, 2018, 04:31:51 AM »
For tomorrows predictions, Croatia beats Russia. This is a much more objective team, with none of the mindless passing around of Spain. Unless all their main players play as badly as they did against Denmark, that is.

England x Sweden. I'd bet England. I have almost zero knowledge of what Sweden is about. Their game against Switzerland was probably one of the worst matches in the tournament, won with an own goal. But if all their defense and marking causes England to be nervous and manages to stop England to provide for Kane, then who knows, a lucky corner or free kick could cause an upset.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #385 on: July 07, 2018, 05:08:52 PM »
EN-GER-LAND!!!!
OOOOOO ;D :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #386 on: July 07, 2018, 05:42:25 PM »
Only found this now, but EA made simulations of the World Cup in their FIFA games. They actually got the quarter finals of the left side totally right  :o

On the right side not so much... they got it right Croatia x Denmark and probably how Spain x Russia would normally go, what probably would happen in Colombia x England if Colombia had James available and only messed up with Germany.

The engine also got it right in 2010 when it also said Spain would win and in 2014 for Germany  :o

But on the other hand, good news for @Henry Dale . Since 1990, whoever eliminates Brazil always reaches the final. Though except for Germany in 2014 they always lose it. Argentina in 1990, France in 2006 and Netherlands in 2010 were all vice-champions.

Wait a second... if whoever eliminates Brazil reaches the final but loses it... does that mean the good news is actually for... @Nighteyes?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:45:37 PM by Lanko »

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 07, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »
I hope your favourite spice is Cumin because it's cumin home.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #388 on: July 08, 2018, 01:08:27 AM »
It all went my way today. Russia out; UK in. I’m a happy guy.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 09, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »
UK in.

England, not UK  :P

At this point I can't bring myself to care about any of the teams left. The limited attention that sports can claim from me has shifted entirely to Wimbledon  ;D
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns