February 20, 2020, 09:39:58 AM

Author Topic: Things you're just sick of.  (Read 22782 times)

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
Re: Things you're just sick of.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
I close my mouth when I chew, but I hear it's quite loud. So, I'm sick of my loud chewing!  :-\
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 05:32:24 PM »
I'm sick of... the guy at my work who eats like a rabbit. Seriously - close your f*c#ing mouth when you eat!

I'm sure I've heard this rant befo- oh, wait, we had it at each other because I've got one of those at work to! :D And talking through food, through crackers in particular *shudders*

Don't do food noises.
Ughh .... the chomping, crunching, slurping, smacking, and the "I cant imagine what the fluff you are eating to make that disgusting sound" noises.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Noona

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »
I am sick of the rain and having to have lights on in the daytime because it's so miserable outside.
I realise it's just autumn being autumn, but yuck.

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »
I am sick of the rain and having to have lights on in the daytime because it's so miserable outside.
I realise it's just autumn being autumn, but yuck.

Sounds beautiful. xD

My autumn is quite dreadful...-ly hot. Hah, didn't think I was going to say that, did you? Well, it is. It's going to reach about 26 degrees tomorrow afternoon. And I wanted to wear my new shoes tomorrow!

So, yes. I am sick of the heat. Give me cold, wet, and happy any time. 8)

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Lionwalker

• Writer of Twilight Fan Fiction
  • Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
I was going to post, but then started backing away slowly when I saw the discussion on feminism. Sorry, Jian, had to leave you behind there! I agree with your points as it can feel like feminism is all anyone can talk about, but that may be the problem, it's like a vocal minority but doesn't correspond to reality. Personally, I just write what I write when I write it. Can't worry about everyone all the time, and hopefully you will include a range of people in your alpha/beta readers and some of those may be women and other minorities, so that if there are glaring problems that you've missed, they will be kindly pointed out.

On a more serious note, I hate slow walking packs on the pavement!! Or when two people walk slowly side-by-side but somehow manage to take up the entire path. Then you have to awkwardly squeeze past like you're the inconsiderate one....
Follow me on Twitter: @_Lionwalker

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
I was going to post, but then started backing away slowly when I saw the discussion on feminism. Sorry, Jian, had to leave you behind there! I agree with your points as it can feel like feminism is all anyone can talk about, but that may be the problem, it's like a vocal minority but doesn't correspond to reality. Personally, I just write what I write when I write it. Can't worry about everyone all the time, and hopefully you will include a range of people in your alpha/beta readers and some of those may be women and other minorities, so that if there are glaring problems that you've missed, they will be kindly pointed out.

On a more serious note, I hate slow walking packs on the pavement!! Or when two people walk slowly side-by-side but somehow manage to take up the entire path. Then you have to awkwardly squeeze past like you're the inconsiderate one....

If they're teenagers I just push them onto the road. They should learn to be polite :P
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 06:06:11 PM »

First of all: TRAITOR!

Second of all: I agree. I always stay behind my mother when she forces me to go out, and it's quite annoying. xD

I also hate it when there are a bunch of loud people talking behind me or in front of me. I have to run away from them as fast I can. Because I've mostly lived in foreign countries, and none of them have English as a second language even, I tune out foreign languages that I can't understand, but when there are some American tourists, it's like they're speaking on a megaphone. Very annoying. I always have the urge to go, "SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE!" at 'em. ;D

@Lor: Scary. Technically just became a teenager. Better watch my back, ey? :)

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »
I am just sick of the fact I'm not allowed to throttle any customers. Some of them deserve it!

And Jian, try not to worry. Some writers have made a hash in the past, sure (products of their time, mostly imo), but if you are thinking about it, then you should be fine, especially if you treat your female characters the same as your male ones - like people. And yeah, it does seem to be quite prominent at the moment, but if you think hard I'm sure you can work out why, esp. if you look at a historical context. And try to remember that even not all women agree on what makes a good female character!
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Lionwalker

• Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »

First of all: TRAITOR!

Second of all: I agree. I always stay behind my mother when she forces me to go out, and it's quite annoying. xD

I also hate it when there are a bunch of loud people talking behind me or in front of me. I have to run away from them as fast I can. Because I've mostly lived in foreign countries, and none of them have English as a second language even, I tune out foreign languages that I can't understand, but when there are some American tourists, it's like they're speaking on a megaphone. Very annoying. I always have the urge to go, "SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE!" at 'em. ;D

@Lor: Scary. Technically just became a teenager. Better watch my back, ey? :)

Although I generally don't like being stereotypical there does seem to be a cultural tendency among Americans to speak loudly. Not sure why, let's just say if there are any in the vicinity you will always know. :) However, I don't expect everyone to speak english, in fact, that's a personal deficiency on my part, and many English speakers, is not to speaking more than one language. Pretty much everyone except for people from the UK and America speak multiple languages, which I think is pretty great.

Regarding the whole writing women thing, I do think that the current vocal focus on feminism in literature does intimidate a lot of writers in that they think they need to write women very differently to men, instead of just writing them as well-rounded people. In my writing I don't particularly focus on writing a man or a woman but just writing that character.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
I am just sick of the fact I'm not allowed to throttle any customers. Some of them deserve it!

THIS!

Oh, so very much this.

*sighs and avoids eye contact with the approaching customer because I actually finished my shift 25 minutes ago. Damn. Too late. Serves customer then legs it.*

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »
Well, it's not that they're loud, but you get so used to hearing white noise, or background noise from all the other languages, like when you watch HBO, and it starts by the TV looking like it's frizzing out, but it's always like that all the time, and then you suddenly skip to a scene in Boardwalk Empire where Steve Buscemi is tousling it out with his brother, or a scene where Spartacus is beheading a Roman centurion. It seems quite loud in comparison. xD

And I decided to take you peeps (aye, I say peeps ;D ) on your advice, and Lor was kind of enough to PM me and tell me it'd be cool if I sent her over an excerpt from my book of the lead female character's chapters, and she was also kind enough to fib and tell me they were good. xDDD

Anyways, that instilled a lot of confidence in me, so it's looking up.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 06:35:12 PM »

THIS!

Oh, so very much this.

*sighs and avoids eye contact with the approaching customer because I actually finished my shift 25 minutes ago. Damn. Too late. Serves customer then legs it.*

If I still worked for Morrisons, my list would be so big I would need to separate my posts. So I know exactly what you mean.
Make Another World.

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »
Well, it's not that they're loud, but you get so used to hearing white noise, or background noise from all the other languages, like when you watch HBO, and it starts by the TV looking like it's frizzing out, but it's always like that all the time, and then you suddenly skip to a scene in Boardwalk Empire where Steve Buscemi is tousling it out with his brother, or a scene where Spartacus is beheading a Roman centurion. It seems quite loud in comparison. xD

And I decided to take you peeps (aye, I say peeps ;D ) on your advice, and Lor was kind of enough to PM me and tell me it'd be cool if I sent her over an excerpt from my book of the lead female character's chapters, and she was also kind enough to fib and tell me they were good. xDDD

Anyways, that instilled a lot of confidence in me, so it's looking up.

what is with you lot and saying I'm wrong/a liar tonight? :P cheeky buggers.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Lionwalker

• Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »
Non-stop pessimistic news. Badly reported, sensationalising reports endlessly gorging on the misery of others.

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
Non-stop pessimistic news. Badly reported, sensationalising reports endlessly gorging on the misery of others.

So, Fox News then?