September 17, 2019, 04:14:52 AM

Author Topic: Things you're just sick of.  (Read 21504 times)

Offline WillGamer46

Things you're just sick of.
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
Just as the title implies: A thread to vent, bitch and overall talk about anything you're tired of.
I'll start:

1. Hatred of the Star Wars Prequels: When I say hatred, I mean irrational hatred. Might seem like a strange thing to bitch about, but I know people who hate on these movies to this very day like they kicked their dog and shot them in the face. Hell, one of my friends even asked me once if I would help him write a fanfiction trilogy to replace the films (I said no). A) The movies aren't THAT bad and they haven't stopped good Star Wars-related stuff from coming out. B) Its been nearly two decades now, get over it already.

2. The "WRPG VS JRPG" debate circulating in some online forums has to stop. It used to be cute, but now its just moronic.         

3. (Speaking of Moronic) being called a 'Bias fanboy' (among other less pleasant things) for saying I like something without saying something bad about said thing, and/or offering praise to its perceived rival on some online forums. Like if I express how much I like the Sonic the Hedgehog games or whatever. In some places that's a trigger word for trolls to start an avalanche of insults and unimaginative rants of how Sonic sucks and how bias you're being for not acknowledging for how awesome Mario is....I really don't understand this mentality at all.

4. Democrats, Republicans and all politicians: Shut up. Shut the **** up. Just because you don't agree with someone does NOT make them the Anti-Christ. Also: our massive debt, the economy in the toilet: This is your fault. Shut up and DO something about it.

and that's enough out of me. Happy venting people.       

"The real world sucks. Imagination is better."
-Yoshiki Hayashi

My book: Walking with Summer Dreams (Kindle version): http://www.amazon.com/Walking-with-Summer-Dreams-ebook/dp/B00579FV6C/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_1

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
  • At long last I crafted a decent profile!
    • View Profile
Re: Things you're just sick of.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:25:21 AM »
 I`m honestly quite sick of the portrait of women in videogames and other media as mere eye candy and excuse for men to get a look at a curvy body.

I believe not only does it alienate women from videogames, comics, etc. by portraiting them as mere pretty dolls to be rescued or seduced by the hero, it only reflects badly on the males who actually read those comics or plays those videogames. Are we men really as basic as to only take attention to women¨s bodies in video games or comics? I would like to think not, but the constant stream of diverse body types, attitudes, faces, etc. on men in video games or comics versus the two types of either gorgeous ultra=hot supermodel or old hag for females irritates me quite a lot.
Director and editor of Nerd Alert Magazine:
 https://www.facebook.com/NerdAlertMagazine

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »
I hope this doesn't' offend any women, and I actually do agree with Fallen's statement, but...

I HATE THE FACT THAT IT HAS BECOME ALL ABOUT WOMEN. We focus solely on female protagonists, strong female characters, WEAK female characters, etc. Everything has become about having women in the story, to the point that fantasy authors today are forced to introduce at least one, lest they be flogged by the public. I remember the Tolkien topic, and the debate concerning him being a racist and a sexist. First of all. The main characters were dwarves, elves, Old Men (Aragorn and Gandalf), and basically, midgets. Does not sound racist to me. But sexist? This isn't like omission is just as bad as a lie. I mean, COME ON! WHEN DID IT BECOME ABOUT THE WOMAN AND THE WOMAN ONLY? WHAT ABOUT A STRONG MALE CHARACTER? You know how hard it is to actually find one of those, too? Sure, there are plenty of books with guys for protagonists, but that does not make them automatically great.

We still have to struggle to find strong male characters, too, ladies! Women scream for equality, but by continuously pointing out that you're sexist for doing this and for not doing that, you are asking to be placed upon a pedestal and treated differently! You never hear someone asking for, "Uhm, yeah, can we get a strong male character with a hot love interest on the side, and make sure they're a BADASS couple, alright?" That's because it's selfish to simply look out for ONE gender. For ONE type of person.

I keep seeing article after article on different websites going, "Women in literature," or, "Women's impact in world history." Do we have a, "Man's impact on world's history,"? We don't. And before you say that's because in the old days, it was a given that men were the only ones that impacted the world significantly, don't even bother. We're not in the 60's, or 70's, or 80's anymore. We really shouldn't look the gift horse in the mouth and act so ungrateful. Women have jobs higher than men, and are paid more. They go to colleges a lot of men AND women could not even dream of, just like some men go to colleges that SOME men AND women could only dream about. We live in an age of normality and equality. But we constantly yearn for more. We constantly ASK for more.

When is it time to say you're full? When is it time to say the elevator is over capacity? When is the time when the bath tub fills up with water and spills? WHEN IS IT EVER ENOUGH? Let me tell you what were to happen if we were all, men and women, literally equal. When a plane crashes in the sea and there are survivors, the pilot says, as well as the passengers, "WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST."

Why is that? Why can't we men survive, too? Are we barbarians and the women the fragile princesses? No! We are both flesh and blood, equally sensitive to, well, DROWNING. So, why do they go first? Why do we open doors for them, but not for the fellow man? Why are we the ones that have to hunt for the women, while they sit on the bar stool and give you the, "Come and hither," look. In any given emergency, it is always women and children first. Women and children. That is just the same as putting ten politicians together, five of them Democrats and the remaining five Republicans, and putting them in a room with ten homeless people. If there was an anthrax alert or an emergency, and the politicians said, "US FIRST! WE'RE IMPORTANT!" you would sneer in disgust. Well, exactly the same. We men are the last to escape the sinking ship. Hell, that's the ending of Titanic. That piece of driftwood could have EASILY carried Leonardo DiCaprio, as well as Kate Winslet, but for fear of endangering HER life, boom, dead.

So, why should anyone get special treatment simply because their genitalia is different from ours? You cannot say it's because we're naturally stronger. That's more sexist than anything I've said so far. In this day and age, a woman can learn the likes of Krav Maga and kick your ass ten ways from Sunday. She still goes first. Equality is not as simple as it sounds.

"Oh, yeah, world peace." Impossible. As long as we have human emotions, such as greed, anger, etc. we will never have world peace.

"Equality for men and women." Even if this were possible, I do not think women would like the equality so much. Because, once it is no longer WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST, you'll find that we men would shove you down on the ground, most likely trample you there, to survive to see our children grow up. Or see our wives back home. Or see our girlfriends. Or see our pet DOG. Once you get rid of Women and Children first, the odds are it is the men that survive to go back home, and look guiltily over the horizon as they remember how they trampled over all of the women. And if true equality were to occur, and we didn't have to prowl and jump through hoops to just FIND you women, you'll see us sitting at the bar stool, as well, exuding a COME HERE AND LET'S GO TO MY APARTMENT aura without so much as glancing at women.

That's it. Done venting.
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:41:34 PM »
Jian, I get what you're ranting at, but chill dude, you're going to have a heart attack.

It all stems back from a time when marriage and a woman's role was all about having kids. Women were saved so they could have kids and blah blah blah.

The world is kinda slow at catching up sometimes. Don't blow a gasket over it.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »
Jian, I get what you're ranting at, but chill dude, you're going to have a heart attack.

It all stems back from a time when marriage and a woman's role was all about having kids. Women were saved so they could have kids and blah blah blah.

Oh, like I said, sorry. xD

And I tend to suppress a lot of that moments, so it helps to, well, blow a gasket. It helps and prevents actual outbursts in topics, which might lead to a ban hammer slamming me in the face. ;D

So, anyways. No offense to all of you ladies or to anyone that might be offended by this. This is just my way of venting so I don't actually have to vent to any of you in topics, and believe it or not, I'm mostly pleasant.... Mostly.  8)

Once again, thousand apologies to anyone that might be offended. Thank you, and goodbye.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:49:48 PM »

Oh, like I said, sorry. xD

And I tend to suppress a lot of that moments, so it helps to, well, blow a gasket. It helps and prevents actual outbursts in topics, which might lead to a ban hammer slamming me in the face. ;D

So, anyways. No offense to all of you ladies or to anyone that might be offended by this. This is just my way of venting so I don't actually have to vent to any of you in topics, and believe it or not, I'm mostly pleasant.... Mostly.  8)

Once again, thousand apologies to anyone that might be offended. Thank you, and goodbye.

I wasn't getting at you, I was just saying.

Don't want to have to come scrape you off a ceiling somewhere ;)
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »
I'd cut back on the red bull perhaps? :D

I HATE THE FACT THAT IT HAS BECOME ALL ABOUT WOMEN.

But it actually isn't. For a long, long time it was all about the men - we didn't even get a look in, except as perhaps a busty barmaid or a throwaway line. There are still plenty of books, in fact still most books are about the menz, many with crap/lazy characterisation for any woman hapless enough to end up in the story.  And that's what I'm just sick of.

While perception may lead you to think it's all about the womens, I think you'll find an actual analysis of what's out there is actually still waaaaay more than half all about the mens (this may differ in genre/subgenre, but I think it holds true overall).

Look at some of the really popular books in fantasy, the top sellers and tell me where they are all all about the women. Some include some good characters. Many don't. ETA: This doesn't make them bad books in and of itself

So take a deep breath and realise that no, it isn't all about women. Really. Then relax and write the book you want to.

Please note, this is me being especially tactful....

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:46:15 PM by Francis Knight »
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
I'd cut back on the red bull perhaps? :D

I HATE THE FACT THAT IT HAS BECOME ALL ABOUT WOMEN.

But it actually isn't. For a long, long time it was all about the men - we didn't even get a look in, except as perhaps a busty barmaid or a throwaway line. There are still plenty of books, in fact still most books are about the menz, many with crap/lazy characterisation for any woman hapless enough to end up in the story.  And that's what I'm just sick of.

While perception may lead you to think it's all about the womens, I think you'll find an actual analysis of what's out there is actually still waaaaay more than half all about the mens (this may differ in genre/subgenre, but I think it holds true overall).

Look at some of the really popular books in fantasy, the top sellers and tell me where they are all all about the women. Some include some good characters. Many don't. ETA: This doesn't make them bad books in and of itself

So take a deep breath and realise that no, it isn't all about women. Really. Then relax and write the book you want to.

Please note, this is me being especially tactful....

Exactly the reason why I don't drink red bull or coffee. I'm way too... Well, I'm annoying enough as it is, and I don't think adding caffeine to it will help. xD

I don't disagree, but I wish we simply... Well, read books we liked. In the book I'm writing, I've got a female character, and because of all the articles I've read saying just how hard it is to write them and that if you make one mistake doing so, it'll end up becoming a huge mess. So, it's really annoying now that there is a pressure upon me to write her well. Don't get me wrong. I would've done so to the best of my abilities anyhow, but is the best of my abilities enough? Recent events concerning writing the female perspective and creating a female character have made me think otherwise, and it's making me quite anxious about how well received said female is now there is a huge spotlight upon them. I guess I should have explained that in my earlier post. Again, apology and all that! Just my opinion.

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »
It'll only become a mess if you over-think it. Don't panic about what all the articles say, write the female character you want to write, and then let your beta readers tell you if you're getting it right.

I mean, I am female, even if I don't always act like it, and when I write my female characters I still need my beta readers to tell me if I'm getting them right.

A strong, well-rounded character will be a strong, well-rounded character regardless of gender if you don't panic, and write the character the story needs, rather than the one you think they should be in respect of their gender. You might get it wrong, but then, beta readers will tell you that, and you can fix it.

Remember the words of the Guide: Don't Panic!

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »
I agree with Lor, dont stress about the gender, just write her as a good character as you would with any character/person. I may at times seek out books that feature strong female characters, but that does not mean that I think books are required to feature them to be good books. Personally, I have only read two books where the author's use/portrayal of females really bothered me.... and one of them, it was really the main male character I couldnt stand. Write it how you want to write it. If there are issues, then like Lor said, Beta readers should help with that. The fact that you are aware means you are likely not to have her be a dimensional-less damsel in distress, busty barmaid or old hag. ... just make her a person. (If she happens to be one of those, just make sure that is not all she is)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
Thanks a lot for the tips!

Just wrote a chapter in her perspective. Hope it isn't a COMPLETE disaster.  :P

Offline asabo

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 05:22:14 PM »
Jian - I remember when Women's Lib was a new thing and we all had buttons that said "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle". I thought of that recently and couldn't believe how hurtful that must have been. We threw the baby out with the bathwater. Men and women are different in a million ways. We should celebrate them not eradicate them.

I read once that women's elbows are hinged differently - for carrying babies. Give a woman a heavy load and she'll hug it. Give it to a man and he'll put it on his shoulder. That's just biology. That doesn't mean women are only good for that, nor men for manual labor because they're strong. Women can be physically strong and men can be nurturing. People are a lot more than their biology and we need all those quirky, complicated characters to share with our readers.

On a different note - Because I read too many similar in a row - I am sick of corporation as the big bad in Science Fiction. And I am really sick of the reluctant messiah plot. Don't get me started on vampires and werewolves! And is it me or are there waaay too many coming-of-age/secret powers stories out there right now?
Lethal Seasons - Apocalyptic Science Fiction (no zombies)
http://allthereisandtherestofit.blogspot.com/p/lethal-seasons.html

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »
I'm sick of... the guy at my work who eats like a rabbit. Seriously - close your f*c#ing mouth when you eat!
Make Another World.

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »
I'm sick of... the guy at my work who eats like a rabbit. Seriously - close your f*c#ing mouth when you eat!

I'm sure I've heard this rant befo- oh, wait, we had it at each other because I've got one of those at work to! :D And talking through food, through crackers in particular *shudders*

Don't do food noises.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 05:31:31 PM »
Oh - and people who take forever at cash machines. Really - you haven't figured them out yet?  ::)
Make Another World.