August 06, 2020, 10:23:24 AM

Author Topic: The Virus thread  (Read 13744 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The Virus thread
« Reply #300 on: July 08, 2020, 07:22:43 PM »
That image is scaring me even just with reading :o

I hope that was a one-off and you sleep better now.

As for the masks, I agree so much! I'm still flabbergasted at the images of pubs and restaurants reopening here, and no one wearing masks - in particular the employees, who breathe and talk over the glasses and plates!
No amount of vouchers and discounts will make me go there...
I wonder if I'm the odd one, if I'm being too scared, too fearful... nobody else seems to care.

Cherie, I thought of you when I heard about the stamp duty news, that will help you, right?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 07:38:44 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 08, 2020, 09:58:36 PM »
For all the complaints of economic uncertainty and people not being able to pay vital bills, it seems nothing can stop the multiple weeks long cacophony that is excessive home-brewed firework displays. In fact, they seem more frequent and intense this year.

I'm all for celebrating we're all still alive, and to honor those lost and the heroes of the pandemic. But if I had to chose the means of how we all celebrated, I'd rather stop having to medicate my dog so he doesn't stress himself to death.

As for the masks, I agree so much! I'm still flabbergasted at the images of pubs and restaurants reopening here, and no one wearing masks - in particular the employees, who breathe and talk over the glasses and plates!
No amount of vouchers and discounts will make me go there...
I wonder if I'm the odd one, if I'm being too scared, too fearful... nobody else seems to care.

You're not odd, at least to me. I certainly still slip a mask on when I go into a building to reduce the likelihood I'm spreading anything. And crowds of more than a handful of people still stirs up my anxiety something fierce.

People just want normalcy again, don't want to face what our world has become, even if it means putting themselves and others at risk. It doesn't help that many of them live in the mindset of "I can't get sick" or "It won't be that bad if I catch it." Or some other version.

Certain world leaders certainly aren't helping either....

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #302 on: July 09, 2020, 05:11:49 AM »
Soooo Melbourne is back in stage-three lockdown - which means don't leave your house if you can help it, essential shopping, work, education and exercise permitted. It's a bummer, especially as term 3 is coming up and limited activities were going to recommence for my small one, but it's very necessary as we've been having a real spike in cases. So six weeks (at least) of lockdown it is.

I feel really sorry for the businesses that fronted up to reopen for barely five weeks before having to shut down again. There's some govt support in place, but I don't know if it will be enough to keep them all afloat.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #303 on: July 09, 2020, 04:33:48 PM »
I can see there being a second wave in the UK, and I can't help worrying how much that would bring our economy to its knees. At the moment, there's no right answer in how to keep businesses going, and keep the virus under some kind of control. I know it's selfish, but I do worry about the future.

Cherie, I thought of you when I heard about the stamp duty news, that will help you, right?
Yes and no. My purchase completed last Friday, so before the new rates, so I've still had to pay a lump of stamp duty. However, Darren's purchase isn't due to complete until next week, so as he's saving a lot more than that in stamp duty on his purchase, he's going to give me back the amount I paid.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #304 on: July 09, 2020, 08:39:25 PM »
Oh, I was confused, I thought you were still looking for a place!
Great that it's completed, when are you planning to move? These are the best days, when all the faff has been done and we can focus on decoration and tidying things ;D

Offline Cherie

« Reply #305 on: July 10, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
I moved last Friday. I definitely felt more comfortable having people I know helping me move everything, rather than complete strangers. Not only for the fact of looking after my stuff, but for just not having to be in close proximity of people.

I'm also back at work from Monday, although it's only part time - 3 days of hours split over 4 days - nothing has been mentioned about wearing masks in the office, although I have some ready to use. And there's only going to be a maximum of 4 regulars in the office, with another couple of people who are only ever in for brief visits. Out of a normal 13 with another 3 occasionally. The actual size of the office has been increased as well, as we've clawed some space back from the unit next door for our own use. This was planned well before the virus, but the renovations have been done over lockdown, so perfect timing really.

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2020, 07:21:57 PM »
I've learned Covid Parties are a thing and now question my sanity. Seriously, why are people foolish enough to go to a party with a known Covid-positive person with the intentional purpose of getting sick like its a regular old party game. >:(

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2020, 09:21:44 PM »
I feel bad liking that ???

Offline Rostum

« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2020, 01:40:37 PM »
Having been back to the centre of Bristol yesterday maybe 1 in 8 were wearing masks and half seem to think they are some sort of neck decoration. As of July 24th it becomes mandatory to wear a mask to enter any shop. It already is to use public transport. This looks as though it will be wholly ineffectual as there is no requirement to wear it covering the space between those shops.

Offline Skip

« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2020, 06:15:13 PM »
Somehow, humanity needs to understand that this isn't temporary, that there needs to be some permanent shifts in behaviors. As often with us humans, the lesson is learned mainly through loss--sickness and death. There will be more, and then we will change.

My own guess is that there will be temporary adjustments, there will be a vaccine, and we'll all go back. But the conditions that give rise to viral outbreaks persist, so we'll get new ones. There will be new crises, new catastrophes, new responses. We'll repeat that for a generation or two, until we begin to get people who have grown up with that sort of mad twitch response, and for them, the new behaviors will simply be how the world works. Photos of maskless crowds will induce shudders of curiosity in them.

But serious, long-term change now? Not likely.
Visit Altearth

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2020, 08:46:34 PM »
^ that was interesting.
These are interesting times...
I understand the need for a "return to normalcy", but at the same time I was hoping this would be the trigger for a deeper societal change.
Maybe it can't be done in a few months or a year, just like the Industrial Revolution - it takes minute changes here and there, until we look back and see the distance to where we started.
Office work vs. home work is the most visible one, I guess.

Change is scary, of course it is.
Just today I read this passage in my current book and I really identified with it:
"Shelter me from this storm of change. In time I must emerge once more into the light of action, but for now let me rest (...) protected from my own doubts."
We're living through a 'storm of change' and the automatic reaction is to react against it...

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #312 on: July 23, 2020, 11:22:53 AM »
All these interviews and articles and questions about what the mask rules are...

All you need to think is: are you going to be in a situation where you're close to other people (outside your household)? If yes, wear a mask!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #313 on: July 23, 2020, 02:21:19 PM »
And don't pull them round your neck where they are not mandatory. This of course is too sensible

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #314 on: August 04, 2020, 09:31:18 AM »
So how are things playing out in your locales? Iceland has been one of the major success stories in all this, and things were pretty much back to normal for a while, but now a few infections have been detected and the government has stepped in again. No more than a 100 people allowed in one location at a time, the two-metre rule has been reinstated, and all this came right before a weekend that is essentially an annual nation-wide festival of camping trips and town celebrations with all sorts of events. You know, the kind of thing that would help a virus spread super quickly, so this was unquestionably the right move.

I do worry a bit that people are being really reckless in the supermarkets, but the government is being really eagle-eyed about tracking infections, Most notably you are not allowed to enter the country without submitting to a swab at the airport.

Overall this seems to be only a minor setback and we're doing pretty good in all this. I'm not bragging; just appreciating my blessings here.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!