July 07, 2020, 04:47:28 PM

Author Topic: The Virus thread  (Read 11646 times)

Offline Caith

Re: The Virus thread
« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2020, 06:13:39 PM »
You can draw a straight and fairly short line from that picture, through the Dominic Cummings scandal, back to an incompetent leader who cares more about his poll ratings than taking the difficult and unpopular decisons needed during a national crisis.

I read a comment not so long back that struck a chord. It said that it is a government's job to govern, irrespective of how unpopular it makes them. Instead, the Johnson government appears to be stuck in campaigning mode, a place where they are both successful and more comfortable. Unfortunately, Covid19, unlike Brexit,  isn't receptive to three word slogans, lies and bluster.

The lockdown, to all intents and purposes, is over and we're left with increasingly complex and weak advice to follow or disregard, as it suits our instincts. I don't condone what the folk on the beach have done, but I can easily understand it.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2020, 04:43:32 AM »
That amount of people is my idea of hell at the best of times. Plus it's a pebble beach, so it's damn uncomfortable
Not a fan of crowded beaches at any time. In fact Lejays17 and I go out of our way to find fairly sparsely attended beaches during our summer.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #287 on: June 27, 2020, 08:17:39 AM »
Going to a packed summer beach is high up there on my list of personal hells. You have to bring your own shade, any food you bring will have sand on it, sure bathing is nice but then the sand sticks to you, you're surrounded by lots of people (ugh, people), my pale ass needs half a bottle of industrial-strength sunscreen (makes the sand stick) or I'm lucky if I go full-on lobster and don't skip right to blisters, and as a bonus no matter what you do you go home with sand in your butt crack.  ???  ;D

So yeah, won't be a problem here either. We have a massive sand beach where I live. I have no doubt in the current sunny weather it's packed.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #288 on: June 27, 2020, 04:43:03 PM »
^ Exactly, same thing when I hear about "beach weddings": so awful, sand everywhere! ;D

In Portugal they set up a limit on number of people allowed on each beach, with entrances and an easily seen flag system: green for having plenty of room, yellow for find a place, red for beach is full, you can't come in. Info online too.
I suppose England couldn't be bothered, given the small number of beach days...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2020, 08:35:32 PM »
There were 69 new cases of covid in Edmonton (Canada) just yesterday. We had mostly flattened the curve until yesterday, but I think people were getting lax and forgetting that there's this pandemic going on as well as the province starting to open up after the craziness of the past few months.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2020, 12:12:07 AM »
We're having a resurgence here in Melbourne as well, as things start to open up a little. Interestingly, the blame seems to be being put on "family gatherings" which I can certainly see as being a big contagion vector, given number of people + ignoring distancing.

My personal annoyance right now is that, as things open up, other diseases are also being communicated again. See also: my child has picked up a cold and now I have to take her to get tested for covid, and how on earth do I explain to a tetchy four-year-old that someone has to stick a swab that far up her nose??

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #291 on: June 29, 2020, 07:57:44 AM »
Over 10 million cases in the world.
Over half a million deaths.

>500,000 :o :o :'(

Offline hexa

« Reply #292 on: June 29, 2020, 10:06:56 PM »
A new swine flu has been discovered in China

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53218704

Offline Rostum

« Reply #293 on: July 01, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »
The first of many perhaps. China is going through a boom at the moment while pretty much the rest of the world is in recession heading for depression. Economically we are paying for exporting all our pollution manufacturing there.

Leicester is on local lockdown after a resurgence there the rest of the country eases restrictions in a couple of days we wait to see what happens.

Online Skip

« Reply #294 on: July 01, 2020, 05:40:56 PM »
Not the first of many but another in a continuing series. I have yet to see a Western government that has accepted this reality. A few governments in the East (South Korea comes to mind) appear to recognize that major viral outbreaks and regular pandemics are simply part of modern life. We keep behaving as if each is a separate problem to lick separately.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #295 on: July 01, 2020, 08:32:40 PM »
Absolutely correct but sars, Mirs, et al. were a bit disappointing. Keeping us sick makes China rich so what's their motivation not to? A few million of their own dead would hardly slow them down.

Online Skip

« Reply #296 on: July 02, 2020, 05:23:20 AM »
>Keeping us sick makes China rich so what's their motivation not to?

Oh good grief. How do you sell to a dead man?

Not every bad thing that happens to the privileged is the product of nefarious design. And it's not China's fault the U.S. is behaving stupidly. Who foiled China's clever plot against New Zealand?

I repeat: oh good grief.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 02, 2020, 08:49:32 AM »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #298 on: July 03, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »
I just found out that tomorrow the pubs will open at 6am :o
I fear how things will be by midday, but whatever, politicians know best ::)

I'm still amazed when I see all news reports from towns and cities and everybody calmly walking about without masks or anything, as if life's back to normal and Covid-19 never existed...