July 11, 2020, 07:49:46 AM

Author Topic: The Virus thread  (Read 11973 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: The Virus thread
« Reply #270 on: June 07, 2020, 12:13:49 PM »
Pretty sure a photocell could be used and easily retrofitted into existing poles.

Offline hexa

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #272 on: June 15, 2020, 12:57:38 PM »
Any hopes I had of a slightly different society after the lockdown are crushed as I see the crowds and queues and everyone almost fighting to get inside clothes and shoe shops...
 ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Cherie

« Reply #273 on: June 15, 2020, 02:27:04 PM »
Unfortunately, the vast majority of people just want everything to go back to how things were before lockdown. I can understand it, as change is not only difficult, but also unwelcome for many.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #274 on: June 19, 2020, 08:00:58 AM »
Yesterday on the radio I heard someone say that the dividing line between people who feel comfortable going around the shops, going back to pubs and restaurants when they open, and generally not being scared and the others who are anxious and wary and worried, is age. She said up to 40-45 people didn't care anymore.

At first I agreed, being above the limit and feeling as I was "supposed to feel" for that age group, but after thinking about it some more I realised it's far too simplistic.
I think the dividing line is far more along the lines of economic ability and job situation.

If you have no other option but to go out to work, since you can't work from home and you need to earn to live, you can't be living in a state of constant anxiety, so you make yourself think that things are better, easier - and if you think like that about going to work, why not the nicer things, like going to the shops and eat out?

And of course health situation. Even if you're young, if you have health problems you're not be going back to normal anytime soon.

And so I realised I'm privileged once again, on both counts, and I shouldn't be dismissive of people acting differently to myself...

Offline Caith

« Reply #275 on: June 19, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »
I think you're right, it is more complicated than age difference and I would have thought it has a lot to do with perception of risk, whether real or imagined.  For a lot of people, the risk of the virus has receded but the risk of  poverty has grown.

Being able to do normal things again must be a comfort and a reinforcement of both self-held  and social signals that the worst of the epidemic is past. I think we'll start to see the lockdown melting away more quickly over the next while, as our collective consensus over it does the same.

Offline Skip

« Reply #276 on: June 19, 2020, 03:36:00 PM »
There's a good deal of evidence that shows a person's brain is still developing up to around age 25, and that one signal characteristic of the under-25 is less awareness of consequences, a still-developing ability to consider the long term and to be considerate of others. Add to that the widespread behavior of younger people to consider going out drinking an important form of entertainment and socializing, and a certain natural resistance to authority, and it's easy to see why they are over-represented among those who were first out of the gates.

I don't know that I would extend the line up into 40-45, though. I'm not sure what the evidence would be for that.
Visit Altearth

Offline Rostum

« Reply #277 on: June 20, 2020, 01:01:20 PM »
Certainly at 20 I was immortal and behaved as such, now I figure I have 20 years or so left and that influences my decisions. I don't like or believe this privilege argument. You were born into a body in Western Europe, had  access to good healthcare, education and likely enough to eat. All beyond your control and likely better than 90% of the planets' population.

Someone with an underlying health issues may have all you had and more but got an unfortunate mix of genes or breathed the wrong stuff or just got sick and had to live with the consequences. If they had been born within that other 90% they may well have already been dead, never been diagnosed or lead a shorter lifespan

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2020, 09:44:41 AM »
Libraries can also open from the 4th July.

I feel somehow hypocrite for wanting to go there after my comments on people and shops, then I realised what I want (for everything) is every place just for myself ;D

If I pick up books, then leave them untouched for at least 3 days, any virus should have died - like groceries.

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #279 on: June 25, 2020, 10:17:19 AM »
I wipe or rinse everything I bring from the store with water and dish soap (then rinse with water of course). Anything that dissolves fat will kill the virus pretty much instantly.

I also rinse my nose cavity every time I've been out among people (usually just the once a week to shop for groceries for my parents and myself) as that's how the virus is most likely to get a foothold in your body (assuming you're not touching your face); you breathe it in, it multiplies in your nose cavity (which takes a bit of time), then spreads to the rest of the body.

So far, so good. The more I hear about the effects, particularly the potential for long-term complications, of this virus, the more I want to stay away from it for my own sake as well as for my father's (who's old and has multiple illnesses).

That being said, there hasn't really been a big threat down here in the south of Sweden, and now the worst has passed (for now) without there being a crisis here. Stockholm was a disaster -- there should definitely have been harsher measures there, and the virus getting into so many old people's homes was a big failure. But down here, even the peak didn't see much pressure at the intensive care units, and now cases have dwindled.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2020, 09:06:44 PM »
I said I wasn't going to criticise people anymore, but this?
People are MORONS! >:(

Offline Skip

« Reply #281 on: June 26, 2020, 12:30:33 AM »
True Fact #83:  Not all people are morons, but all morons are people.

It's worth noting that it doesn't take but a few hundred people (ok, maybe a few thousand) to fill the lens of a camera. What the camera doesn't show is the millions of people who are being careful and staying home.

True, it only takes those few thousand to affect many thousands. But if you're looking for a reason to feel more positive, just remember all those folks who are home.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 26, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »
I said I wasn't going to criticise people anymore, but this?
People are MORONS! >:(

I wouldn't go to that Beach in normal times! How can anybody enjoy this?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #283 on: June 26, 2020, 01:48:59 PM »
Definitely! I was talking with a colleague this morning and we were saying that those crowds are enough to keep us away at any time, much less now
(and by the way Skip, I saw video footage, it was really like that hehe)

Yesterday I went for a walk in the village and in the small river/waterfall there was a group of about 20 young teenagers swimming, no distance for them either.
They'll most probably won't get it, but who's to say they're not carriers and take it home to parents and grandparents?

Offline Cherie

« Reply #284 on: June 26, 2020, 01:50:15 PM »
That amount of people is my idea of hell at the best of times. Plus it's a pebble beach, so it's damn uncomfortable