July 11, 2020, 08:36:24 AM

Author Topic: The Virus thread  (Read 11975 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: The Virus thread
« Reply #240 on: May 29, 2020, 10:31:58 AM »
That's simply not true and a dangerous narrative. Even a simple cotton mask holds back most of the virus (if it's changed when it becomes wet) and you can clearly see how countries who made them mandatory early (Czech Rep for example)  had no major outbreak. Czechs had no masks to buy so they had to make them themselves.
Often the only difference between tightly woven cotton and FFPS is a certificate.
Here it's mandatory to wear masks in public transportation and while shopping and most wear masks that are self-made.

The Key word is effective and it's a subjective one. N95 means it stops 95% of airborne particles entering or more importantly leaving the mask. It's not perfect, and they are rated at 0.3 microns. The virus particle is 0.1 micron but when aerosolled it is likely to attach itself to dust particles in the air which are large enough to be blocked. There is also an electrostatic element to this which mean particles will be attracted or repelled dependent on charge which is why it's important to change out a mask when it gets moist.

N95 is not a certificate it is a standard and it is a guarantee that the masks you as the manufacturer make comply with that standard. They are periodically tested (at great expense) to ensure that is the case. 

Making masks mandatory but having no standard for the masks will work to an unknown degree, if people actually cover their mouth and nose with them and use the wire strip correctly.

Bandanas, which is sit away from the nose and cheeks are likely wholly ineffective at protecting the wearer and give very limited protection to everyone else.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #241 on: May 29, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
Rostum, we're not talking about 100%, or even 95%, protection, that's impossible. It's rather about a strong reduction of the risk
If everyone is wearing a mask/face covering plus keeping the distance whenever possible, the risk of getting the virus is heavily reduced, just like in Xiagan's pee diagram.

If you think that's not true, feel free to continue to isolate, but I don't think that's what you meant.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #242 on: May 29, 2020, 09:00:27 PM »
And the point I am making is people think they are safe because they slap a bandana on or put on a mask without fitting it, and they are no safer than not using them, but feel safer as a result.

I was not disparaging home made masks which usually have at least 4 folds of tight weave material and have been used in hospitals when required but the loose fold of bandana stylishly in front of the lower face is not even paying lip service to the requirements.

Follow the rules and you are safer to a point. Everyone's acceptable risk will be different. I seem to remember someone earlier in the thread saying that the people who seemed the least concerned and most likely to break social distancing rules were those with masks and gloves. I would speculate they do so as they feel safe in their protective gear.

Offline Skip

« Reply #243 on: May 30, 2020, 08:54:47 PM »
> ...  people think they are safe ...

Some people do. Some people think they're safe without them entirely. Some people think it's all a hoax. Other people think they aren't safe no matter what.

People think all sorts of things. And no one knows for certain, for every situation and every individual.
Visit Altearth

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2020, 07:06:26 PM »
I have no words.
Watching the news now and seeing huge crowds on beaches, in picnic areas, on the coast... Interviews and they're saying "We don't really care about the rules anymore, I just want to go out, I've been home for 2 months, etc"
Are they really that stupid that they think this is just about rules and following the law? It's your health, you morons!!!
Already just because you can do, doesn't mean you should do, much less when you can't...

And in these places it's not about "restarting the economy", which I understand it's important - but I no longer worry about not contributing when the shops reopen (I'm not going anytime soon), there will be enough volunteers that will pay to get covid ::)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:11:09 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline Skip

« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2020, 11:56:12 PM »
It's troubling to me because I know the great majority of people in those places will in fact *not* get sick. Many won't get the disease at all. Of those, many won't get symptoms or will get such mild ones that they won't bother to get tested. All those people will look at their friends and neighbors and say "see? told you!" and go right on doing what they do. Even in the great plague of the 1340s, only about a third died. That means two-thirds lived.

But *some* of them will get sick. And *some* will pass it on to others who stayed away and tried to stay safe. And some of those will die or will get so sick as to change the course of their lives permanently. And the culprits won't even see it.

What I see on the beaches etc is people being people. Especially young people being young. The part that makes me angry is the governing authorities who threw open the doors. IMO, every one of those people who authorized openings should be required to spend every day thereafter among the throngs. I wouldn't even feel sorry for them as they sickened.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2020, 08:17:36 AM »
Thanks Skip, your post is the rational description of my emotional heartburst...

On a lighter note, I just read this article and it's very funny/interesting:

A bow and a curtsy: How Jane Austen’s age of social distancing reflects our own
Historical fiction seems so much more relevant these days. They lived with the ever-present fear of contagion, which ranged the country unchecked. And, for the first time in our lives, we’re in their shoes.

Offline Peat

« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2020, 02:39:52 PM »
My boss just said we're probably not back in the office this side of Christmas.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Cherie

« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2020, 08:43:58 PM »
7 months. Wow. That's a long time!

I was hoping to be back this week, but it's unlikely to be this month. I'm accounts payable, so at the moment, there are very few invoices to be processed, unless our merchants can get materials onto site quicker and more reliably than they have been able for the last few weeks.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2020, 02:13:15 AM »
I keep buying things to upgrade my home office: big screen, Yeti microphone, knock-off “Aeron” chair, and a platform for my laptop to raise it to the level of the big monitor. I’d buy a Logitech webcam, if they weren’t sold out everywhere. Then I need to think about lighting. It’s pretty crap in my office for Zoom video calls.

Mrs. JMack would prefer I never go back in the office (as long as they keep paying me  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2020, 04:43:44 PM »
My point is that everyone, everywhere in America, should be prepared for violence and civil unrest in the weeks and months ahead.

Nailed it.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #251 on: June 03, 2020, 05:33:43 PM »
My point is that everyone, everywhere in America, should be prepared for violence and civil unrest in the weeks and months ahead.

Nailed it.
Oh come on, in your original post you were talking about the virus, and what's happening is not related to that! You're no psychic ;D

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #252 on: June 03, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »
If you don’t think people being cooped up, afraid for health and employment reasons, and all the rest, are not a huge part of what we are seeing, I disagree.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Bender

« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2020, 07:31:14 PM »
The Floyd video is quite depressing and would flame anger by default. I don't think Covid depression has any part to play in current protests.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Peat

« Reply #254 on: June 03, 2020, 08:36:55 PM »
I'm not sure I'd say TGC is definitely wrong about it playing a part - very hard to prove - but I don't think it was needed for what has happened to have happened. Maybe it's made things worse, but I think you could have given everyone in the world a week off work with a free supply of weed and E and things would have still kicked off with that trigger.

7 months. Wow. That's a long time!

I was hoping to be back this week, but it's unlikely to be this month. I'm accounts payable, so at the moment, there are very few invoices to be processed, unless our merchants can get materials onto site quicker and more reliably than they have been able for the last few weeks.

Yeah.

We were told we could go back in if we wanted providing not too many of us, but basically we can only have 2 people per bank of 6 computers so only so many people can go in. I guess if I wanted I could do that 1 or 2 days a week, just to cure the feeling of every day fading into each other, but I'm not sure I'd even want to.

But even so, feels pretty heavy to be working from home this long.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/