July 06, 2020, 01:57:06 AM

Author Topic: The Virus thread  (Read 11614 times)

Offline hexa

Re: The Virus thread
« Reply #225 on: May 14, 2020, 11:45:03 PM »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2020, 07:28:21 PM »
I don't understand, honestly, I don't think it's me being difficult:
I was just watching the news and they showed a seaside town with many people, police saying "keep social distancing" (because of course it's more complicated than saying "keep 2m/6' apart", and why be simple?), but then fish and chip shops and ice cream places were open and serving to the public, without masks, distancing or anything!
The one they showed was wearing gloves, but it was just to touch the fish, and never removed them while handling everything else - basically this person picked up the carton, put fish and chips in, gave it to the customer, collected the money, gave change, always breathing and chatting, spreading droplets everywhere!
 ??? ::) :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2020, 08:06:55 PM »
I don't understand, honestly, I don't think it's me being difficult:
I was just watching the news and they showed a seaside town with many people, police saying "keep social distancing" (because of course it's more complicated than saying "keep 2m/6' apart", and why be simple?), but then fish and chip shops and ice cream places were open and serving to the public, without masks, distancing or anything!
The one they showed was wearing gloves, but it was just to touch the fish, and never removed them while handling everything else - basically this person picked up the carton, put fish and chips in, gave it to the customer, collected the money, gave change, always breathing and chatting, spreading droplets everywhere!
 ??? ::) :o
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »
I'd like to understand how testing will make people safer, why it's so important. I still don't get it.
Can someone help, point me in the direction of any scientific/reliable article about this?
I tried googling it, but I couldn't really find anything clear, just pages about the track&trace app...

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2020, 09:23:30 PM »
I'd like to understand how testing will make people safer, why it's so important. I still don't get it.
Can someone help, point me in the direction of any scientific/reliable article about this?
I tried googling it, but I couldn't really find anything clear, just pages about the track&trace app...

With sufficient testing, you can track the spread and isolate those who are positive and those they have likely infected. If you only test those with symptoms, you are always to late, because some who spread it don't have symptoms or develop them after they already have been contagious for a few days.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #230 on: May 18, 2020, 09:40:31 PM »

With sufficient testing, you can track the spread and isolate those who are positive and those they have likely infected. If you only test those with symptoms, you are always to late, because some who spread it don't have symptoms or develop them after they already have been contagious for a few days.
Right, but doesn't that mean testing everybody regardless? And more than once (since someone could be clear in week 1 but then catch it and positive in week 3)?
I thought they are really only testing those with symptoms...

Offline Rostum

« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2020, 01:06:27 PM »
Once you know how a virus spreads and in what context you can create models. These are a possibility and become less accurate over time. If you were to test everyone for say a got it, not got it and had it test you can glean data that allows predictive mapping. You can determine an accurate infection rate and you can study in more detail interesting groups like those with antibodies showing they have had the virus  but who displayed no symptoms. Or people who have had it multiple times or people who have not cought it but have been in contact with those who have.

Even if you don't test everyone but have a pool that is in some way logical say everyone in a geography or all people in some nursing homes or hospitals useful data can be found that can be expanded to cover those not tested.

Offline Caith

« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2020, 06:42:40 AM »
I've just been catching up on the whole Dominic Cummings thing. It feels like I've woken up in an episode of a political drama on TV. This is going to be a long week in politics for some people...

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #233 on: May 25, 2020, 09:24:22 AM »
It's like the story of the Dark Lord that no matter how much evil he does, his army will always protect him... ::)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2020, 12:00:10 PM »
But, but rules are not meant for us1 we make the rules.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2020, 06:54:37 PM »
I just watched a bit of the conference, he actually gives me the creeps :-\

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2020, 07:00:00 PM »
Why aren't masks/cloths mandatory in the UK, in supermarkets, shops and other locations when you know you can't maintain your distance?

Offline Rostum

« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:42 PM »
A mask protects others from you and it needs to meet FFP2/N95 standard and be fitted properly or it will let virus molecules through. Good luck finding those at the moment and getting people to wear them properly if you could.

America seems to think cotton bandana's will somehow be effective and some states just require a face covering which will not really help but 'something has been seen to be done'. Social distance and minimize your shopping are the best bet at the moment. Unlike the couple pushing their baby round Tesco yesterday who seemed to think it was an allowed social experience.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2020, 09:43:34 PM »
A mask protects others from you and it needs to meet FFP2/N95 standard and be fitted properly or it will let virus molecules through. Good luck finding those at the moment and getting people to wear them properly if you could.

America seems to think cotton bandana's will somehow be effective and some states just require a face covering which will not really help but 'something has been seen to be done'. Social distance and minimize your shopping are the best bet at the moment. Unlike the couple pushing their baby round Tesco yesterday who seemed to think it was an allowed social experience.
That's simply not true and a dangerous narrative. Even a simple cotton mask holds back most of the virus (if it's changed when it becomes wet) and you can clearly see how countries who made them mandatory early (Czech Rep for example)  had no major outbreak. Czechs had no masks to buy so they had to make them themselves.
Often the only difference between tightly woven cotton and FFPS is a certificate.
Here it's mandatory to wear masks in public transportation and while shopping and most wear masks that are self-made.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2020, 10:05:25 PM »
Yes, I also agree with the cloth masks for everyone, to protect others.
I got 2 strong cotton ones, with a net to add a tissue, that my cousin sewed and my dad sent me. I wore it to the hospital and when I go to the supermarket.
Having the mask also helps with not touching my face.