June 02, 2020, 09:45:11 AM

Author Topic: The Virus thread  (Read 8390 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: The Virus thread
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2020, 04:08:38 PM »

With all due respect, scientists are inventing vaccines and medicines for covid.  The pandemic will not last 2 years

I hope not too, but it's happened before (Spanish flu in 1918-19), and it isn't certain that a vaccine or medicine will be developed by a particular date. Also, viruses mutate, so it may come back that way. It's very uncertain.

Please do your research on the Spanish Flu if you want to talk about it too.

I did some research, and the reports I read said that there were second and third waves of the flu. And that it stretched into a second year. That was the only way I was comparing that illness to this one.

Many viruses mutate. Flu is known to mutate. I honestly don't know what I said that is controversial. I'm not trying to be alarmist, I don't see any point in that. But to suggest that everything will be alright within a year because the scientists will soon invent a cure could easily give false confidence. Just because some politicians suggest this is the case doesn't mean it is.

You said nothing controversial, you're just using wrong and invalid comparisons that lead to your and other people's worry.
Ok, let's say you researched N1H1. And then so what? Our current pandemic is for a Coronavirus, NOT
an Influenza virus.

It's like we're all in a communal garden discussing what's up with the potatoes, and you come on over and explain what we should expect due to what you've read up on carrots and the carrot famines of 1920!

Yes, N1H1 and SARS-covid2 are both viruses, and they affect your respiratory tract, like carrots and potatoes are both veggies and both the root type. But they're not the same thing beyond that and comparing them is pointless.
Not only because of genetical differences, but as I linked, a large part of what made N1H1 so bad was the societal factor. We don't have WW1 on our hands, we don't rely on paper newspapers and radio, and we all are on lockdown. N1H1 also killed young people in their 20s and 30s instead of the elderly, drowning them in fluids and cytokine storms. It's not what we're observing here.

You're drawing conclusions on a virus still under study by comparing it to another virus not even of its family. By doing this you're making false statements and hence fearmongering for no valid reason. There are plenty of valid reasons to be afraid of what covid-19 is doing to our healthcare system as it is.

Yes we all know viruses can mutate, we also know so far scientist aren't too worried about covid-19. Yes we all know it may come back in a new wave before we have a vaccine. But a large number of the population carried it already and will still get infected, meaning any second wave will not hit them. EVEN if a second wave or a third happens, there is no knowing what the effect might be, what measures will be taken then, and whether healthcare systems will be better prepared from still running on high alert.

Worrying people over poorly chosen crossovers helps no one.

If you consider yourself erudite on N1H1 I then invite you to document yourself further on viruses, which are an entire order of life on earth, and not variations on the flu.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Skip

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2020, 06:17:16 PM »
FWIW, nothing in this thread has led me to worry. The facts coming from the health authorities are quite sufficient to create concern. Nor do I see any signs from others on this thread having an omg moment as a result of a post here. We have presidents and prime ministers who are more adept than any of us at creating omg moments. All I've seen is a few inept comparisons (mine included).

Here's raising a glass to ad hominem patience and kindness.

Visit Altearth

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2020, 08:04:20 PM »
Alright, some people feel more comfortable with plain perfect facts, others are better with emotions, we're all in this together, trying to make sense of a senseless thing - I hope no one is upset about posts here, we're all trying our best.

At least there are no conspiracy theories, like what my dad tries to tell me over the phone ::) ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2020, 08:17:54 PM »
Alright, some people feel more comfortable with plain perfect facts, others are better with emotions, we're all in this together, trying to make sense of a senseless thing - I hope no one is upset about posts here, we're all trying our best.

At least there are no conspiracy theories, like what my dad tries to tell me over the phone ::) ;D

I heard the virus is extraterrestrial.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2020, 03:08:33 AM »
I've hit a mental threshold. Stopped reading about the Virus for 2 days now. Just living my life. Ignorance IS bliss!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
I've hit a mental threshold. Stopped reading about the Virus for 2 days now. Just living my life. Ignorance IS bliss!

I agreed with this. Since we're all in a lockdown anyway, now all anyone can do is just duck under their covers until this whole thing blows over. Reading about stressful things doesn't help my mental health in the least bit, that's for sure.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2020, 01:58:50 PM »
Ok just some of my sort of virus related thoughts.

Control measures will be in place for much longer than most people think.
This is probably the end of Cinema as we know it.
Air pollution levels will fall much lower than predicted.
Divorce levels will soar.
Birth rates will be the highest in the first world for 50 years.
There will be a surge in publishing.
Many of the people who are relevent on social media wont be after this is over.

5 minutes thought anyone got any more or disagree enough to respond?

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »
Control measures will be in place for much longer than most people think.
Agree - better to be safe than sorry!

This is probably the end of Cinema as we know it.
Oh, why do you say that? I know there will be blips, but shouldn't the industry recover next year?

Air pollution levels will fall much lower than predicted.
I'm not even sure they're predicting anything, I think they're just tracking the measures and seeing the super low numbers.

Divorce levels will soar.
I'd thought and seen this sentiment before - so true ;D

There will be a surge in publishing.
Hurrah!

Many of the people who are relevent on social media wont be after this is over.
I'm totally not the right person to comment on this, as I have zero understanding of how that works, and can't for the life of me see why certain people that do nothing have so many followers ;D

I'll add a couple:
- People will re-think the concept of 'low-value' jobs
- Work will become way more flexible
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2020, 05:12:23 PM »
Oh, why do you say that? I know there will be blips, but shouldn't the industry recover next year?

As people realise that they are going to be in lockdown for a lot longer and even if it ends gathering with hundreds of others in a multiplex may not come back into fashion. Plus movies in the can may get shown on streaming services and if they don't lose by it film companies may choose not to split 50% of the take with the distribution companies.
I also expect some of the big name actors  to go 'nah i'm out' after all how many more millions do they need?

Our relationship with China will change. Allowing 98.5% of all anti biotic manufacture to be within China doesn't look so clever for the cost savings now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 05:14:42 PM by Rostum »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »
It’s just, barely, possible that the U.S. will adopt a more universal healthcare system, because “red” states will find themselves hammered, though a good several weeks after the blue states.

Agree about the babies. Been saying that for a few weeks  ;D
Good thing Mrs. J and I are old.   8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »
Adding to @Rostum 's list:

Much more telework, with related shifts in brick & mortar
Changes in popular home architecture, leaning toward older, more compartmentalized layouts that support telework better
Changes in family layout - people are huddling and although many will want to get back away from each other, many will come to prefer living communally.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2020, 08:20:50 PM »
It is gradually dawning on me that I am in fact witnessing an historic event, and one that could have huge, long-lasting consequences. History is littered with these moments, yet there is something surreal about realising that you are living one yourself.

And I DO think that studios will resort to using online releases for big-name films in the coming months, and after this is over I wonder how enthusiastic people will be about going to the theatre. It is an inconvenience, after all, and your enjoyment is heavily dependent on your fellow movie goers behaving properly.

Of course, maybe nothing will change all that much. People who try to predict societal changes have a very low success rate.

On another note, things are actually looking pretty good in Iceland. The government seems to have stepped in with just the right measures at just the right time, and the public has reacted the right way, so things are expected to peak in early April.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2020, 09:30:55 PM »
All kids that are born will be firstborns.
We are farther away from a third one than ever before.  ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2020, 06:02:50 AM »
Just thought this website would be useful for some people wanting an update on the current numbers: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
All kids that are born will be firstborns.
We are farther away from a third one than ever before.  ;D

My husband is way too considerate and intelligent to say "so, about that second kid" right now while I am spending every waking minute of every day trying to entertain and exercise a four-year-old who can't leave our yard... but if he did I would laugh in his face and tell him to enjoy sleeping on the couch.