June 02, 2020, 10:08:37 AM

Author Topic: The Virus thread  (Read 8391 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: The Virus thread
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »
I return to work Tomorrow and have hardly been out in the last two weeks. I need to food shop and get some stuff done on the bike. Going out now seems a little daunting as societal rules have actually changed since i last had to interact with anyone.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
After all, it isn't called Covid-1, it's called Covid-19.
Because it was discovered (or started its spree) in 2019. But yeah, there are other Corona viruses and they have already found mutations of Sars CoV-2.
Btw, Covid-19 is the disease and Sars CoV-2 the virus. Like you get Aids from the HI-virus.

It will change the world as we know it - lets hope not only to the bad.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2020, 01:28:13 PM »
Do you know if there is a time limit on how  long we can have a walk/run/cycle outdoors for.

I’ve heard on the radio there is a 2km distance rule from your home. Not sure if that’s correct seems a bit short.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2020, 02:35:07 PM »
Do you know if there is a time limit on how  long we can have a walk/run/cycle outdoors for.

I’ve heard on the radio there is a 2km distance rule from your home. Not sure if that’s correct seems a bit short.

I tried searching, but the official site doesn't mention any distances, it only says "one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household".
I think the objective is to walk from home, not drive somewhere and then do the walk there. I guess 2km from home still lets you take a very long walk, if you think of a circle with your home in the centre and a radius of 2km...
For example when I run/walk my 5km I'm never further away from my home more than 2km, I think, it's just a circular route.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2020, 08:23:04 PM »
They don't want specifics or they will have to police it. Not wanting nieghbours phoning up the police because someone was out for an hour and a half not an hour or went further than suggested. Real regulation may come in time but lets hope not.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2020, 08:57:07 PM »
It's bad enough as it is on some of my local Facebook groups with people bitching about how many people are going out shopping together, or the kids congregating in the parks, or people going out twice in one day.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2020, 12:02:07 AM »
With all due respect, scientists are inventing vaccines and medicines for covid.  The pandemic will not last 2 years

There are vaccines and medicines for plain ordinary flu virus. Yet it comes around and kills every single year for decades. Because it mutates. There's no reason at all to think this one is the non-mutating variety. After all, it isn't called Covid-1, it's called Covid-19.

There is reason to think it. Scientists think that's the case already. They believe it's a stable virus. They can't be 100% sure, but no need to be alarmist.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-coronavirus-mutates-slowly-vaccine-could-be-long-lasting-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Covid 19 is not its real name either. It's actually called SARS-CoV-2. The 19 stands for 2019, not 19th in a row or whatever. (Xiagan beat me to that)

If you want to write anything about the virus, then please do your homework properly Skip, as posting such misinformation is bad for everyone all around. There are plenty of good channels I can recommend you if you want to keep up to date on the science day by day.

Also would like to point out the flu is an Influenza virus, and Coronaviruses are the ones behind the common cold. No point comparing chickens and cows, though the symptoms are in the same chest area.

With all due respect, scientists are inventing vaccines and medicines for covid.  The pandemic will not last 2 years

I hope not too, but it's happened before (Spanish flu in 1918-19), and it isn't certain that a vaccine or medicine will be developed by a particular date. Also, viruses mutate, so it may come back that way. It's very uncertain.

Please do your research on the Spanish Flu if you want to talk about it too.

This increased severity has been attributed to the circumstances of the First World War.[91] In civilian life, natural selection favors a mild strain. Those who get very ill stay home, and those mildly ill continue with their lives, preferentially spreading the mild strain. In the trenches, natural selection was reversed. Soldiers with a mild strain stayed where they were, while the severely ill were sent on crowded trains to crowded field hospitals, spreading the deadlier virus. The second wave began, and the flu quickly spread around the world again. Consequently, during modern pandemics, health officials pay attention when the virus reaches places with social upheaval (looking for deadlier strains of the virus).[92]

The fact that most of those who recovered from first-wave infections had become immune showed that it must have been the same strain of flu. This was most dramatically illustrated in Copenhagen, which escaped with a combined mortality rate of just 0.29% (0.02% in the first wave and 0.27% in the second wave) because of exposure to the less-lethal first wave.[93] For the rest of the population, the second wave was far more deadly; the most vulnerable people were those like the soldiers in the trenches – adults who were young and fit.[94]

It's a bad comparison, you shouldn't make it. Even then, it shows the people who'd survived the first wave were immune to the second wave. We're also in a genral worldwide lockdown, not a world war, so the likelyhood of the virus being in a situation where it can mutate is very unlikely. Think about it. Even if ms Jones sees the virus mutates in her, and she dies very suddenly, so what? The virus is very contagious, most likely her entire household already has or had a variant of it. Most likely she's isolating at home. Even if she makes it to hospital before she dies, by now she'd be taken through special triage, where there are other people with covid there, and every country is on full red alert, if a sub strain became apparent with people dying too soon, they'd be on it.

Even if it does happen and a deadlier second wave comes, having spent all the months prior worrying about it serves nothing but to stress you out, and stress is bad for the immune system, so leave N1H1 alone. It's like wondering if Ebola could become airborne. Unproductive stress. Be proactive : stay home, wash your hands, wear a mask/gloves outside to help limit how much you touch your face, stay away from people you don't share a household with, and if you're bored, reach out to local charities or your ministry of health to talk about volunteering, which can come in the form of calling people everyday who are at risk of loneliness.

I'm sorry if I come across as preachy, but I don't think a thread about covid-19 should be used to spread misinformation or fearmongering, however involuntarily that may be done.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:33:04 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2020, 12:15:21 AM »

Heard a story from a person in France who was stopped by police while going for a walk and told that he was not to go more than a kilometre from his place of origin.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2020, 12:31:06 AM »

Heard a story from a person in France who was stopped by police while going for a walk and told that he was not to go more than a kilometre from his place of origin.

UK police used drones to shame people taking scenic walks in Lake District. It's a conflicting thing. Obviously they're completely alone in the wild. They're not transmitting anything. By coming there they're also not clogging the local park (and mine is a pretty busy place rn...), but also they have a point : everyone starts thinking that, and next thing you know everyone is doing it. it's hard to keep people from having fun, but if you leave some daring ones to do it, then more will come out, thinking it's ok. We're leggit surrendering freedom for the good of the people...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2020, 12:59:23 AM »

I hope not too, but it's happened before (Spanish flu in 1918-19), and it isn't certain that a vaccine or medicine will be developed by a particular date. Also, viruses mutate, so it may come back that way. It's very uncertain.

Please do your research on the Spanish Flu if you want to talk about it too.

I did some research, and the reports I read said that there were second and third waves of the flu. And that it stretched into a second year. That was the only way I was comparing that illness to this one.

Many viruses mutate. Flu is known to mutate. I honestly don't know what I said that is controversial. I'm not trying to be alarmist, I don't see any point in that. But to suggest that everything will be alright within a year because the scientists will soon invent a cure could easily give false confidence. Just because some politicians suggest this is the case doesn't mean it is.

Offline Bender

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2020, 04:46:56 AM »
The United States now accounts for the highest number of coronavirus infections of any nation, recording more than 122,000 confirmed cases on Saturday. The death toll in the country surged past 2,000, more than double the figure from two days ago.

Idiot in chief wanted to quarantine tristate are (NY, NJ, CT) and backed off on it...but still want to open the country up by Easter. Talk about being clueless.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »
My brain simply doesn't compute: almost 1000 deaths in a day, here, there and everywhere...
I'm in such awe of everyone who's still working so that people have care and food :'(

People normally say that you find out who you really are in times of crisis, and what I'm discovering about me is sobering: I just can't go out and help, I'm too scared and anxious.
Is getting in touch with people enough, support through words? It'll have to be, it's all I'm able to do...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:16:55 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2020, 02:00:13 PM »

People normally say that you find out who you really are in times of crisis, and what I'm discovering about me is sobering: I just can't go out and help, I'm too scared and anxious.
Is getting in touch with people enough, support through words? It'll have to be, it's all I'm able to do...

Feeling helpless in the face of momentous problems is a universal human trait. As is focusing on the people in our immediate circle. Let's remember that our minds evolved to cope with living in small tribes. Trying to take in vast issues is inherently a problem for us.

Since most of us aren't health care professionals, the best we can do is abide by the social isolation rules, wash our hands, and not actively contribute to the problem.

And keeping in touch with the people you know and helping them feel just a little bit better, reminding them of human contact and normalcy and caring isn't small. It's great. We just tend to forget how important human kindness is.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2020, 02:22:57 PM »
I’m frustrated by being in the at-risk category of those with heart disease. It really puts in-person assistance to others off the table. Mrs. JMack and I talk about folks we could help financially, but I suspect no one will want to accept it, even they’re hurting. Which leaves contributing to a charity. I’ll have to find out what the Red Cross is doing these days.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate