April 10, 2020, 04:16:14 AM

Author Topic: The Virus thread  (Read 2808 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The Virus thread
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »
I've lived here for 13 years and I didn't know that MOT was really just 'Ministry of Transport', I thought the acronym meant something else ;D For me it was just the certificate...

Eli, I've seen "covidiot", I think it's the same as your "cóviti"!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »
Had to go to the hospital for shots. It was odd... Main thoroughfares are deserted except for buses that run on a Saturday schedule :

Lots of people cycling, jogging, walking their dogs... It was surprisingly busy. Saw like 7 people in my usually deserted st. Two of them were lads playing cards in their front garden tbf.
Shots were devastating. My arm is swollen around the rabies one, and I got shivers, massive dizziness, total exhaustion... Had a real bad night, cannot wait to go nap!

Now though, gotta say, one great side of this is that the memes are fantastic quality!!

That last one still makes me chuckle.

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »
Those are so funny ;D
And you look really well protected, hehe, it could be anyone under all those layers! Why do you need those shots now, were they essential? I hope you improve soon

Offline Cherie

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2020, 04:46:22 PM »
We've just had confirmation our sites will be closing as from tomorrow, office staff will be working from home next week (I at least need to pay the guys who are working this week), then we're taking a week's holiday.

After that, we're past the initial 3 week lockdown estimate, and if we're not back at work, it'll be this Furlough business. Means at a time when I'm desperately trying to save every single penny prior to buying my house, I'll be losing a few hundred a month.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »
Another neologism:

"Sóttkví" is Icelandic for quarantine. "Kvíði" means anxiety. And now people have "sóttkvíði".

I like it.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »
Our president wants people to go back to work (even against orders of local governors).

The Economist called him BolsoNero, yes, named after the roman emperor that burned Rome. The guy doesn't seem to understand what's really going on (suspecting he even has it). There is talk and rumours of an impeachment being worked on.

Meanwhile, just heard Boris Johnson confirmed positive for COVID.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline hexa

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2020, 04:39:51 PM »
England's Minister of Health also has Covid.  As well as 500 New York policemen

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »
Those are so funny ;D
And you look really well protected, hehe, it could be anyone under all those layers! Why do you need those shots now, were they essential? I hope you improve soon

Yes, they're essential because I had already started the courses. They don't recommend you stop mid-way, and that would also have meant me throwing several hundred pounds to the wind for nothing. No way I was letting this happen. I'm still going to Japan asap... And if everything conspires against me and I end up going somewhere else, I have a life time of rabies immunity (which means only two more shots after a bite/scratch, instead of a full course +immunoglobulin), and with boosters, I'll have 5 and 10 years of both Jap encephalitis, which will come in handy when I finally get to go to Japan! If somehow not next year... Then some other time, sadly as a tourist.
The mask isn't for particles so much as to keep myself from touching my face as I peal off the skin of my lips as a nervous tic, and I've been doing a lot of that.

England's Minister of Health also has Covid.  As well as 500 New York policemen

Bojo has it. Prime irony.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Rostum

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2020, 09:22:52 PM »
This is a week old now so things may well have moved and changed but it is a worthwhile hour spent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hs2KKczjYA

TLDW. Worst Case Scenario in the UK 80% infection rate and 500,000 deaths through this year and next winter.
In whatever language is used to describe it the health service is overwhelmed at the point it becomes necessary to triage patients. This does not mean the end of functional care just the end of equal treatment for all hospital cases. Likeliehood of further mutation to the virus but very unlikely to make it more deadly. Mortality rate and critical illness rate is way higher in men. Probably for the same reasons men die younger as most at risk are the elderly and imfirm.

Offline hexa

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2020, 09:32:14 PM »
With all due respect, scientists are inventing vaccines and medicines for covid.  The pandemic will not last 2 years

Offline Rostum

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2020, 12:08:45 AM »
With all due respect, scientists are inventing vaccines and medicines for covid.  The pandemic will not last 2 years

The interview is with Dr Michael Head an epidemiologist and Senior Research Fellow in Global Health at the University of Southampton. This guy crunches numbers for modellers to predict and plan.

On Vaccines he said the first vaccine is at least a year away and early adopted vaccines are usually not as effective as later versions.

I have no idea how long Corvid19 will last and hopefully we won't get a second wave as with the Spanish Flu but this is takeaway from the conversation if you watch it. I suspect the breakdown of pretty much everything would occur before those numbers were realised anyway.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2020, 01:24:16 AM »

I hope not too, but it's happened before (Spanish flu in 1918-19), and it isn't certain that a vaccine or medicine will be developed by a particular date. Also, viruses mutate, so it may come back that way. It's very uncertain.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2020, 03:28:15 AM »
More recent than that- AIDS
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Skip

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2020, 04:19:53 AM »

There are vaccines and medicines for plain ordinary flu virus. Yet it comes around and kills every single year for decades. Because it mutates. There's no reason at all to think this one is the non-mutating variety. After all, it isn't called Covid-1, it's called Covid-19.
Visit Altearth

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »
I'm turning into a recluse...
I went for a walk+farm shop and my heart jumped and started racing every time I saw a person, worse if it was a couple. I had to consciously make myself stop and calm down and breathe slowly.