July 15, 2020, 12:36:55 PM

Author Topic: The Virus thread  (Read 12386 times)

Online Cherie

Re: The Virus thread
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 11:47:56 AM »
I decided to put my big girl pants on and brave Aldi. It wasn't anywhere as near as bad as I feared it would be, I managed a normal shop for me that will see me through for a good two or three weeks. There was plenty of fresh produce: fruit, veg, meat, dairy and bread. It was only the long life pantry items that they hadn't managed to replenish as much; there was no pasta, sauces or tinned tomatoes. Cereals had taken a massive hit, as had the chocolate, toiletries and some freezer items.

I'm hopeful that common sense is starting to prevail, and people have realised that the supermarkets aren't going to shut and leave us all to starve!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »
^ good to know!
Tomorrow I also need to go get some bread, milk and stuff, and I'm going to Lidl, but there's an Aldi nearby too if I'm missing anything.
I have enough normal food in my freezer, and I normally freeze bread, but when I went last week (Sainsbury's) there was hardly any bread :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »
Many of you know I had a heart attack a bit more than 2 years ago. So, I’m in the “underlying conditions” club. Yay, me. It’s a good thing I’m working from home, because Mrs. JMack wouldn’t let me go out in public even if I wanted to.

This whole thing is simply unbelievable. Yesterday, for the first time, I was joking with myself: “Wake up! Whew, what a nightmare. So glad that’ll never happen!”

Right now at least, I’m employed, safe, and have my wife here, a ton of family (we had a 20 person zoom the other day), and - of course - you all. It’s spring, too. Imagine this in the deep winter. But, I worry so much for the many people whose lives have been blown to hell by the shut down, and those fighting the virus in the themselves and/or in others.

I vote for a world where no one owes any rent or loan payments to anyone for the next two months.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online Cherie

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
^ good to know!
Tomorrow I also need to go get some bread, milk and stuff, and I'm going to Lidl, but there's an Aldi nearby too if I'm missing anything.
I have enough normal food in my freezer, and I normally freeze bread, but when I went last week (Sainsbury's) there was hardly any bread :o
I have just under half a loaf in the freezer, but defrosted bread is not quite the same when it's fish finger sandwiches you've been craving for the last week or more! There was no loaves of bread at all in our Tesco last weekend.

I'm glad that this didn't hit us at the same time as the storms and floods. It would be spreading so much quicker if people were living in shelters rather than being at home. Although, on reflection, I'm sure there are still many people that are dealing with the fallout from the storms.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 12:32:57 PM »
Just talked to my parents, they're both 77 so definitely in the risk zone, and especially my mum, with a ton of underlying conditions.
They were telling me they went for a walk yesterday, and at the same time as I know it's important, going out, moving, getting some air and sun - and I know they stay away from people, doing really long deviations to  the path to keep the distance -, I get worried and think they should just stay home.

My cousins are all offering to get them supplies, but my dad still went to the supermarket: he said he wore gloves and they were limiting the number of people inside, but again, I worry.
Argh.

We were talking about refugees and prisons yesterday, Jmack, since then I also saw a piece of news about the homeless :-\

I vote for a world where no one owes any rent or loan payments to anyone for the next two months.
Here loads and loads of banks are writing to people and allowing for mortgage holidays and stuff. I think we're seeing that bank managers are humans too, and nice.

And another thing: we're seeing companies asking people to continue buying online, whatever it is, from groceries to books to takeaways, but... what about the delivery people? They're definitely on the risk front line...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:37:53 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 12:57:15 PM »
but... what about the delivery people? They're definitely on the risk front line...

Yes, the lower you are in the worker pay ladder, the more likely it is we’re asking you to keep going to the warehouse, the logistics center, the pizza shop, the military base, the hospital...
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 02:50:35 PM »
Also, I woke up tonight due to some noise and had a mild scare: Felt there was a tightness in my chest, but apparently I was imagining it.

Most likely : you weren't. a tight sensation in the chest is a very common sign of anxiety. Don't know what woke you up, but you must have been anxious, and got that sensation, which made you more anxious, etc.
Trust me I had intercostal pains for years due to stress.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 05:45:29 PM »
Also, I woke up tonight due to some noise and had a mild scare: Felt there was a tightness in my chest, but apparently I was imagining it.

Most likely : you weren't. a tight sensation in the chest is a very common sign of anxiety. Don't know what woke you up, but you must have been anxious, and got that sensation, which made you more anxious, etc.

It was a nightmare involving a cave crawling with scorpions.

EDIT: The Icelandic government has just taken things a step further. They're now banning gatherings of twenty people or more, and closing down gyms, swimming pools and the like.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:20:45 PM by Eli_Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 08:37:39 PM »
The crowds on Bondi beach were ridiculous. The two most populous Australian states have just announced closure of everything "non-essential" as of Tuesday, so here we really go. The panic-buying has just about abated, though I still don't think you can find toilet paper or pasta or rice for love or money. The next period with my four-year-old and my husband (trying to work) at home will be very long, but better than being hospitalised.
I agree with the abating of the panic buying here, although limiting the amount of certain things that people can buy has helped with that. We did find toilet paper, though a week or so back. I think it just depends on when and where you go. It didn't last long on the shelves.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 09:04:53 AM »

It was a nightmare involving a cave crawling with scorpions.

EDIT: The Icelandic government has just taken things a step further. They're now banning gatherings of twenty people or more, and closing down gyms, swimming pools and the like.
Goodbye gains. The same thing happened in my country two days prior, which sucked a lot. Fortunately I've got an extra treadmill and punching bag at home, so I still could exercise somewhat during this quarantine period.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »
This has been an interesting two weeks to say the least.  A kid in my daughter's school system was the first student in the state to catch the virus and so our schools shut down a week before everyone else's.  Both me and my wife have "essential" work that requires us to go into work so we've been having to rely on grandparents to watch the girls.  They are ok with this but as of right now the schools are closed until at least May 1 and we're worried that the grandparents are going to get burned out and then what.  I did enjoy as our school system's advice was to not have grandparents watch the kids (which what exactly do you expect working parents to do if the schools and daycares are closing down) and we had my mom watch our girls right after she got back from a cruise.

Luckily no one in my family is sick (from this anyways) and my wife and I are in safe jobs that even in the worst of economic disasters we should be fine so for us its really just a super inconvenience.  However I know there are a lot people who are really going to be hurt by this and I'm just more annoyed that there isn't a proper safety net to really help those people.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 02:05:29 PM »
Hey Hedin, nice to hear from you!
That's a really bad situation...
Here in the UK, even though schools closed officially, they remain open for the children of people in key/essential jobs, so that helps - @Nighteyes would be able to explain better/confirm.

I hope things work out for you

I went to the supermarket at lunchtime (local Lidl) and it wasn't that bad: they had all I needed and the only thing different was that I was getting 4 packs of longlife milk (my usual) and they only let me get 2, but no problem.
I almost managed to stay away from people, but I hate those that see me moving away and yet continue to walk in my direction, oblivious: I just realised I get super anxious by being near others, and I'm still trying to calm down now :-\

Offline Bender

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »
Took dog out for a walk and it's deserted. Only a few cars about and fewer others walking their dog. Looks very post-apocalypsy.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »
Was just out on a weekly shopping run for my parents and myself. Most people aren't taking this seriously. There was a woman coughing out on the street, kind of partially onto her hand. I distanced myself then told her to cough into her elbow. She looked at me like I was quite mad, then said something angrily as I walked on. Lots of people in the store not keeping their distance. Another guy wanted to ask something about the parking lot and kept approaching me until I told him to please keep his distance. He just looked confused. Some people pushed past me by the cash register and I couldn't go anywhere to get away. Should have told them off too, tbh.

I was one of two people I saw in a total of four stores who was wearing plastic gloves. I used new ones for each store, and disinfected between runs.

Oh well, I'm back, and I disinfected everything with dishwashing liquid, and now I'm not going for another week. Hopefully by then, the coin has dropped for more people.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »
Scared shitless.

Around ~1200 cases in Brazil with 18 deaths, the vast majority concentrated on the southeastern part, more specifically in Sao Paulo state... where I live, though I'm in a smaller city with great infrastructure with only 6 confirmed cases... but neighbour to the big city. Since here things take forever to be tested, and in this city most people work in the city of Sao Paulo, the epicenter of the virus, you know how this could escalate...

People talking those number are already over the ratio in Italy in the same period (which is in a catastrophic state right now) and that we will easily and vastly pass their numbers.

That's with 1200 cases in the whole country. Then I looked at this:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/new-york-state-coronavirus-count-tops-10k-state-rushing-masks-to-city-hospitals/

New York State coronavirus count tops 10K as Cuomo warns young people
The number of new coronavirus cases in New York surged by 3,250 on Saturday, lurching the statewide total to 10,356, according to Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who flatly told young people who think they have some special immunity to the deadly bug: “You are wrong!”

Cuomo did not announce a statewide death total; that tally stood at 56 on Friday."
@Lanko, your president is a ^%%^& :-X

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/brazils-jair-bolsonaro-says-coronavirus-crisis-is-a-media-trick