June 20, 2018, 10:16:13 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 772101 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10755 on: May 19, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »
Glad to hear it, Bea. Well, read it.

Today was the last full day in Paris. At around ten we took the underground to see the Sacre Coeur. It's quite an impressive structure, surrounded by a delightful area. The weather was, again, great, and we relaxed in a nearby tourist street.

The locals included an old man playing very stereotypical Parisian music on an accordion, which delighted me greatly. It inspired me to buy a black beret and have a picture take of me wearing it. Because hey: Paris.  :)

The stay was fun, even with an eight-man squad of soldiers patrolling the area with assault rifles because... well, you know.

After that we walked for a while, but I think I've come to realize that 3-4 days are the ideal length for me to be away from home. After that my tolerance levels are somewhat exhausted. I went back home well ahead of the others, rather than force myself to stay in a situation my nervous system just objected to. The ride was moderately colorful, what with the guy who entered at a stop and strolled back and forth rambling in French for a while, later replaced by another accordion player.

I've just been chilling since. My flight back to Iceland is at 14:00 tomorrow. I've fallen somewhat in love with Paris, and I'll probably love it a bit more in the shitty weather Akureyri has waiting for me. But as the Norwegians say: Away is good but home is best.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10756 on: May 20, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »
I've been gardening :o :o

So yesterday I bought some plants, and this morning I planted them in the hanging baskets, after removing the weeds they had. I'm not sure if I should have completely replaced the earth/compost thingie, but let's see how it works out.
I also planted the other 2 in some of the pots.
I just hope I don't kill them soon...

It's strangely addictive ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: May 20, 2018, 02:01:39 PM »
And how is being a home owner, anyway?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #10758 on: May 21, 2018, 07:19:10 AM »
I've been gardening :o :o

So yesterday I bought some plants, and this morning I planted them in the hanging baskets, after removing the weeds they had. I'm not sure if I should have completely replaced the earth/compost thingie, but let's see how it works out.
I also planted the other 2 in some of the pots.
I just hope I don't kill them soon...

It's strangely addictive ;D

Yeah I'm obsessed with plants I have a windowsill garden of herbs for cooking, a ton of indestructible devil's ivy, several aloe plants for medicinal use and one English ivy that has done really really well. Tho there were plenty of failures I've killed 7 other ivies before I got one to grow and an innumerable number of orchids and some spinach and stevia died on me. Trial error and learning light and water tolerances helps

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10759 on: May 21, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
Well, I'm back home.

I flew from Paris to the international airport in Keflavík. I was supposed to fly straight from there and home, but the airline screwed me over and I had to take a bus to the crappy little airport in Reykjavík and wait there for about three hours. That was the plan anyway, but there were lengthy delays due to weather conditions. Shortly before seven I spoke to a guy who'd been there since the morning.

I was already overstimulated and wound up, but I can handle delays as long as there's some kind of certainty. But this just wasn't it. Eventually we got the all-clear, entered the plane and the airplane and the rotors powered up. Then they powered back down and we went back inside.

Mechanical problems. And that was when I kind of started to lose it.

But I actually made it home last night, picked up a pizza on the way, and wolfed it down.

So that's my Paris trip. It's left me feeling a little dazed. It is an amazing place to visit but travelling does take a lot out of me and I'm always very happy to get back home. But I'm left with a lot of fun memories and photos.

Such as this bakery, announcing "Savour the pain."

Spoiler for Hiden:

(Yes, I know that's not what the sign is actually saying, but let me have my fun.)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10760 on: May 23, 2018, 03:37:57 AM »
This may come across cheesy or preachy, but pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone is critical to growing and understanding oneself. You dealt with some stress and negative things but saw some wonderful things, a well balanced experience. More important, you made a decision for sound reasons and stuck to it. This grows the will. If you understand yourself and your limits, have the capacity to take yourself beyond those limits, and the will to see things through, well, my friend, there's really nothing you cannot do.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10761 on: May 25, 2018, 08:17:10 AM »
The big event (the one with heels ;)) was yesterday, and I'm just so tired today - so glad it's friday!

I'm glad I did go (Gem's last post applies, hehe), it was super, and it made me very proud to live where I do - every single one of the finalists deserved to win, they all do amazing things :)

(it was the Community Awards event)
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10762 on: May 27, 2018, 02:48:40 PM »
Juri Matteo was born yesterday! :D All's well and we went home the same day. :)

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10763 on: May 27, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »
Aaawwwww I was thinking about you and your baby earlier :D
Congratulations, he's ADORABLE!!!

Online Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: May 27, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »
How cute! Didn't know you were expecting a second child, many congratulations to you & your partner!  ;D
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10765 on: May 27, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »
Congratulations to you both.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #10766 on: May 27, 2018, 06:42:24 PM »
Huge congratulations!

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: May 27, 2018, 07:03:03 PM »
Well done, @xiagan .  Really chuffed for you
The Real Powers That Be

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10768 on: May 27, 2018, 08:56:17 PM »
Best wishes for your growing family, glad things are off to a smooth start
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10769 on: May 27, 2018, 10:58:43 PM »
Congratulations. A friend of mine got his second daughter four days ago. Babies all around.  :)