May 21, 2018, 06:02:57 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 759393 times)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10740 on: May 17, 2018, 01:09:10 AM »
Wow now I'm wishing I'd seen some of the sites instead of just house parties and friends apartments any of the times I've been to Paris. Sounds awesome!!! Have a croissant for me... Damn I miss those things. They make them all wrong in America

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: May 17, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »
Very pleased you  are enjoying Paris and impressed by the champagne at top.of Eiffel Tower. My treat was more mundane, they did pretty good ice creams there.😊

Sure you will enjoy Versailles and hope there is time for the outside as well as inside the palace. Whenever a book features a fantasy palace with a decadent, opulent court that is exactly what is in my mind, especially the court of Mistborn there and all their reception scenes in the Hall of Mirrors. Keep enjoying every minute.
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10742 on: May 17, 2018, 07:32:07 AM »
Wow now I'm wishing I'd seen some of the sites instead of just house parties and friends apartments any of the times I've been to Paris. Sounds awesome!!! Have a croissant for me... Damn I miss those things. They make them all wrong in America

Huh. I thought going to the Tower on your first visit to Paris was mandatory by international law. :)
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10743 on: May 17, 2018, 08:01:07 AM »
Very pleased you  are enjoying Paris and impressed by the champagne at top.of Eiffel Tower. My treat was more mundane, they did pretty good ice creams there.😊
I have to say I'd choose ice-cream over champagne every single time ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10744 on: May 17, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
... okay, kind of like with the tower, I DID realize that the old-timey royalty lived in luxury, but seeing the sheer extremes up close is kind of shocking. Still... it's a big tourist attraction today, so maybe the guillotine was an overreaction.

I'm doing this whole Paris thing with my dad and his girlfriend, who live in Norway. We spent five hours at Versailles. Even as I shook my head at the ostentatiousness I had to admit the whole place makes for an amazing sight. We did have the questionable luck to arrive at the same time as several buses of French school kids, but once we made it to the gardens we were actually able to hear ourselves think.

Oh, and I tried a chocolate eclair for the first time. I think I have diabetes now. Boy howdy do the French have a sweet tooth.

Anyway, it was a fun tour, but afterwards my tolerance for input was exhausted after three days of excitement, and while the other two went to the Latin Quarter I've just been relaxing at the hotel. Tomorrow it's the Louvre... which I understand was a royal palace, but the king found it too small. Hence Versailles.

Yeah.

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10745 on: May 18, 2018, 08:06:36 AM »
I'm so happy it's friday ::) ::)
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: May 18, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »
I recently started taking a bigger interest in Scottish Gaelic, and came across a saying that would be appreciated around here, especially by @JMack:
Sheideadh e na h-adharcan de ghobhar.

Which means:
It would blow the horns off a goat.

It's meant to be used for when you are describing something amazing, sort of like "It will blow your socks off" - so there you go ;D The wisdom of the Goat God Atku has blessed the ancient language of the Scottish Highlands & Islands  :P
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #10747 on: May 18, 2018, 10:19:37 AM »

Now I'm back in Scotland, I too have joined the Meet-Up group.  So, @Nora and @OnlyOneHighlander, if you're about on Friday, I could probably make it from this week either as part of the usual gathering or for some other casual gaming. 

Hope all is going well in the new flat, Nora.

Hey @Carter ! I'm up for gaming this evening but I was slow off the mark so I'm on the waiting list for the meet-up. Hopefully space will free up and I'll be able to make it along.
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: May 18, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »
Trying to sleep in a hospital is like going through sleep deprivation torture. Sure you can fall asleep, but you get woken up before you can get deep into it: vitals, blood work, alarms, and the crazy loud coughing of that guy on the other side of the curtain in your shared room.

But if nothing else, I’m getting lots of story input.  :P
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: May 18, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
Definitely had the urge to write a fantasy Hospital story during a spell inside. The staff were marvellous, but I entertained myself by looking for mythical or fantasy characters in each, which may have shocked them if they knew.  There you go, a private game for you JMack.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:30:17 PM by Lady Ty »
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10750 on: May 18, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »
Trying to sleep in a hospital is like going through sleep deprivation torture. Sure you can fall asleep, but you get woken up before you can get deep into it: vitals, blood work, alarms,
Oh gosh, yes...
How much longer are you going to stay there?

Invest in ear plugs hehe

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10751 on: May 18, 2018, 01:52:34 PM »
Definitely had the urge to write a fantasy Hospital story during a spell inside. The staff were marvellous, but I entertained myself by looking for mythical or fantasy characters in each, which may have shocked them if they knew.  There you go, a private game for you JMack.

I've wrote a few short stories set around hospitals, medicine, and doctors, so that sounds great! Do share some of your ideas with us hehe.  ;D

Offline Carter

« Reply #10752 on: May 18, 2018, 05:40:53 PM »
Hey @Carter ! I'm up for gaming this evening but I was slow off the mark so I'm on the waiting list for the meet-up. Hopefully space will free up and I'll be able to make it along.

Unfortunately @OnlyOneHighlander I'm no longer able to come along this evening.  Sorry.  Without a reply, I made other plans (not big plans mind you) and came back home instead of staying in Edinburgh - I also have limited internet access at work so only picked up your reply when I got back. 

What I'm going to do though, is sign up early for next Friday's one and stick with it.  Hopefully see you and @Nora at that one instead. 

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10753 on: May 18, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »
Funny thing about Paris: The general behavior of the weather is the opposite of the weather in Akureyri. And I don't just mean the higher temperature. At times in Akureyri the entire fjord will be still as a mirror... but only in the morning. Then the northern wind, straight in from the North Pole, will start blowing and the day goes downhill. So far in Paris the mornings start out chilly, but lead into a balmy afternoon.

We reached the Louvre at around ten, and spent about three hours there. I discovered that earplugs do indeed make this kind of crushing mass of people rather more bearable. I focused on historical artifacts, which always interest me far more than paintings, but I DID do the mandatory sojourn through the horde gathered before the Mona Lisa to take a photo. I've never really seen what the big deal is with that painting, and being exposed to deafening noise and a whole lot of sweat didn't enlighten me at all.

We had a little sit-down after that whole business, and I ordered a hot dog for a quick doze of protein. But I guess "hot dog" means something different over here because I got a cheese-covered monstrosity in a big, hard bread.

We then walked along Avenue des Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe. It was a bigger task than I realized at first. I guess I'm just unused to street going in a single direction for so long, which caused me to underestimate the distance. The street is quite magnificent though, and made me understand just how much of a hick I am.

The Arc is yet another case of Bigger Than You Realize, and an amazing structure. After that we walked back, and stopped for a beer along the way. Which turned into three beers. The weather was amazing. Then it was back to the hotel. Then it was out for dinner. Aaand back to the hotel.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10754 on: May 19, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
What a lovely day! :D
I woke up when I wanted.
I went to a stately home about 1 hour from home, driving through lovely countryside on a wonderful sunny day - there I visited the house and spent a long time in the gardens, sometimes just enjoying the plants and the silence and the sun, and others reading my Malazan. And I got a slice of lemon cake with my lunch, hehe
I then decided to become a member of English Heritage, which will encourage me to go out and see lovely places more often.
On the way home I went to a garden centre and bought some flowers for my pots and hanging baskets, which I'll plant tomorrow.
When I got home I watched the 4.5 hours of royal wedding program in half an hour, and I'm here now - and saw @JMack's lovely photo :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:19:45 PM by ScarletBea »