May 21, 2018, 06:04:35 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 759394 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10725 on: May 12, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
Careful Bea its a slippery slope.  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10726 on: May 12, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
No it's not >:(

I've been walking a bit with them at home, oh gosh ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10727 on: May 13, 2018, 09:14:31 PM »
Today was the first truly nice day of the year, weather-wise. The grass has finally fully turned green and the trees and bushes are in the earliest stages. I cycled to the botanic garden for a stroll, then went downtown. I bought a beer and drank it while sitting in in a grassy slope, which I've found has become a summer tradition of mine. That slope really has a special place in my heart.

You folks in warmer climates, for God's sake appreciate what you have.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10728 on: May 14, 2018, 07:54:33 PM »
Pffff.

Well, it's very nearly time. Eight hours from now I will get up at three in the morning to drive to the airport, and start my journey to Paris.

Ahead of me is a long stay among other people in cramped conditions I can't escape, a language barrier, the kinds of crowds that can drive me nuts, and a huge city I'm not familiar with. There is definitely a part of me that is wondering what I'm getting myself into.

But then I have a habit of focusing on the negative.

Offline Carter

« Reply #10729 on: May 14, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
I assume it's a bit far to come on Friday evenings for the meetup, but maybe we could arrange an evening with @OnlyOneHighlander and set out for some board games together?

Great. I've joined the Meet-up group and I should be able to make it this Friday, but I'd be up for an extra independent session another time too. It would be good to play with some new people as getting smashed by my gf at Ticket to Ride all the time is beginning to hurt my pride :-/

Well done on getting the flat @Nora ! I used to live by the Meadows, it's a great spot, particularly now the sunshine is coming (please, please say it's coming now). Hope you're getting on well with your flatmate.

Now I'm back in Scotland, I too have joined the Meet-Up group.  So, @Nora and @OnlyOneHighlander, if you're about on Friday, I could probably make it from this week either as part of the usual gathering or for some other casual gaming. 

Hope all is going well in the new flat, Nora. 

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10730 on: May 14, 2018, 09:40:16 PM »
Pffff.

Well, it's very nearly time. Eight hours from now I will get up at three in the morning to drive to the airport, and start my journey to Paris.

Ahead of me is a long stay among other people in cramped conditions I can't escape, a language barrier, the kinds of crowds that can drive me nuts, and a huge city I'm not familiar with. There is definitely a part of me that is wondering what I'm getting myself into.

But then I have a habit of focusing on the negative.
Hey Eli, it's going to be fine and you're going to have a great time!
Just remember you can always stop and sit down on a park bench, or a corner, to take a deep breath and relax, if you're feeling overwhelmed :)
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10731 on: May 15, 2018, 04:02:15 AM »
I would add to Bea's comments by saying that that would not be a failure or a disruption from your trip, but a core reason for going in the first place. This is not a race or a checklist of exotic to-do items - it's a trip to Paris. Enjoy yourself and remember to look for something to smile at every few minutes.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10732 on: May 15, 2018, 04:42:32 AM »
Thanks guys.

I'm currently sitting on a bench at Akureyri airport, waiting for my flight to the international airport down south. It's 3:47 in the morning, and thanks my idiot new neighbors I have about two hours of sleep in me.

Feeling freeesh.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10733 on: May 15, 2018, 07:15:09 PM »
Well, I'm in Paris.

The flight went well. Not a single screaming infant on the plane, which I think is a first in my life. The first thing that caught my attention about Paris was the sign above airport toilet bowl warning that the water wasn't potable.

Good thing they told me.

Right outside the airport I got accosted by one of those phony taxi driver types, but I'd been warned about those and waited in line for a legit one.

The hotel is decent and comfortable, even if the elevator is more of a vertical coffin. Our schedule starts tomorrow, so for what time we had today we just went and ate, had a beer, walked around, had another beer, and realized we weren't that far from the Seine. We walked across one of the bridges, and saw the Eiffel Tower in the distance. It's pretty surreal to see such a landmark with your own eyes for the first time, let me tell you.

One detour led to another, and now we're back at the hotel, quite ready for some quiet time. Tomorrow it's the tower.

So. No migraine, no stomach problems, great weather, and I didn't get pickpocketed or chased by angry natives with sharpened baguettes. I'd call that a success.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: May 15, 2018, 07:36:21 PM »
ROFL,@Eli_Freysson.
Just read this to my wife and daughter and we all had a great time picturing the maddened locals with their vorpal loaves of crusty goodness.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #10735 on: May 16, 2018, 01:33:57 AM »
I've finally caved to the modern era and invested in Scrivener. I have to say, it's a lot easier to use than I was expecting. Already finding plotting out my RPGs to be much easier.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #10736 on: May 16, 2018, 04:58:03 AM »
I keep meaning to use it for the next thing then forgetting

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10737 on: May 16, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
I'm glad the Linux version is free. :) Otherwise I probably wouldn't have tried it.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10738 on: May 16, 2018, 08:07:09 PM »
Got woken up by an ambulance this morning, but I'd already slept more well more than I usually do, so I took it.

We found an interesting route to (drum roll) the Eiffel Tower. You know... one of the absolutely major tourist destinations on the planet. The former tallest building on Earth. One of the most visibly recognizable things there are. I sometimes describe my characters as finding their circumstances surreal. That's exactly how standing beneath that monsters feels like. Especially since movies really undersell the sheer size. I honestly didn't realize it was this big.

Anyway, we'd paid for express tickets straight to the top. The view is absolutely stunning. I laughed a few times at the sheer weirdness of being there. And since I'm not exactly there every day I put up with paying a stupid amount of money for a little bit of genuinely champagne. Just so I could say I've drunk champagne on top of the Eiffel Tower.

By the way: I drank champagne on top of the Eiffel Tower.

Afterwards we stepped on a boat on the Seine, and got off at the Notre Dame. Again, didn't realize it was THIS big. Got some damn fine pictures, but the standout moment was realizing that it wasn't a mannequin behind that little glass wall; that was an actual priest doing his job in a little display case thing.

Now I just got back from eating out, and tomorrow it's Versailles.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10739 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »
Oh I thought you were travelling on your own, Eli!

Glad to hear you're having such a great time: I never went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, I just walked in the park near it... Your story makes me want to rediscover Paris on my own, when I can choose what to see and do, hehe