June 20, 2018, 03:54:28 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 772172 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10260 on: January 02, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »
Welcome back, Hedin, good to catch up with you. Have to tell you I often go back to our many Battles to check out names or series. They are great reference and were a lot of fun. ;D

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:37:32 PM by Lady Ty »
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: January 02, 2018, 09:45:51 PM »
I’ve just got hit in the eyelid playing badminton tonight I’m okay eyes a bit bloodshot might have a nice black eye ???? tomorrow
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10262 on: January 02, 2018, 09:50:58 PM »
I’ve just got hit in the eyelid playing badminton tonight I’m okay eyes a bit bloodshot might have a nice black eye ???? tomorrow
Eeeek!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10263 on: January 03, 2018, 06:04:29 AM »
So the guys this movie's about are my guys. We all have heroes I suppose. They're mine.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Denciie5oA

We always hear things like "things happen for a reason" and stuff like this, and as crass as I can be, I've come to suspect, if not fully believe, that that might be the case sometimes. If my son had not lost an eye, I'd have been with this particular A-team. I've known the Team Sergeant who took the photo below since the mid-90s. The man in the front has a pained look on his face because he has a broken back, but is riding a horse with a heavy pack.

And things come full circle. Some of these guys are struggling now. It's a helluva thing going from that world to normal life. And I've been helpful in that regard to some of them. So maybe things do happen for a reason.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10264 on: January 03, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
Today is J.R.R. Tolkien's 125th birthday!

The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10265 on: January 04, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »
Storm Eleanor has been raging in my area in the last few days - the big impact has been the wind.
Yesterday I got out of the house in the morning to discover that an anti-slippery rug I have outside has disappeared :'( I looked around as best as I could, into the neighbours' gardens and the road outside, but I couldn't find it anywhere. It was dark, so that didn't help. Now every time I go out/arrive, I look around, but of course it's not going to magically appear, especially with another 48 hours of strong winds... (and the fact that I'll only see my home in daylight on Saturday)

I need to remember I've got an outside now, and take care of the things there ::)
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: January 06, 2018, 11:56:08 AM »
I need to remember I've got an outside now, and take care of the things there ::)
;D ;D ;D

@The Gem Cutter: one of the non-fiction books I’m trudging through reading right now, The Winter Fortress, is about the effort to destroy heavy water production at a dam in Norway and keep the Nazi’s from developing the A-bomb. As I’m reading about how a group of Norwegians were trained in guerrila warfare by the Brits, I’m thinking about how those brief awful years would have also been, at times, exciting-terrifying-meaningful-shock-inducing, mixed in with dreadfully dull waiting for something to happen. And hard to return to normalcy after.

My wife’s uncle was with Patton in the last months of the war. He was a lucky one, in that for whatever combination of what he saw and did and experienced together with his mindset, he was one of the happiest guys you’d ever meet.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10267 on: January 06, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »
It's a helluva thing Jmack. I sent photos back from the early days of the Iraq war and to my surprise, everyone responded with comments like "You look terrific. War suits you." ?@!?!?

I met the Norwegian SOCOM liaison, who looked the way one might expect a Norwegian Jaeger to look - basically Thor with a modest haircut and a short, groomed blond beard. The Northern peoples tend to be terrible enemies. The cold and the consequences of the environment breed them to be stoic, patient planners - arguably things one never wants in an enemy. And anyone who can shoot you while he is skiing, well screw that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:57:11 PM by The Gem Cutter »
The Gem Cutter

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10268 on: January 06, 2018, 11:04:35 PM »
So the guys this movie's about are my guys. We all have heroes I suppose. They're mine.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Denciie5oA

We always hear things like "things happen for a reason" and stuff like this, and as crass as I can be, I've come to suspect, if not fully believe, that that might be the case sometimes. If my son had not lost an eye, I'd have been with this particular A-team. I've known the Team Sergeant who took the photo below since the mid-90s. The man in the front has a pained look on his face because he has a broken back, but is riding a horse with a heavy pack.

And things come full circle. Some of these guys are struggling now. It's a helluva thing going from that world to normal life. And I've been helpful in that regard to some of them. So maybe things do happen for a reason.
I will be watching this movie as soon as I can.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: January 07, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »
@The Gem Cutter: I saw “The Darkest Hour” yesterday and enjoyed a lot of it a great deal and hated one scene so so much.

Relevance? The trailer for “Horse Soldiers” movie came on before the main feature. I have to say that I struggled with what felt like a rah-rah for USA war making. On the other hand, I greatly value the reality and approve/enjoy movies reflecting sacrifice and dedication in war. I will be very interested in your response to the movie once it’s out, since you have a perspective I respect and can’t have.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10270 on: January 07, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
I ran almost 3km today :D

It was sunny and very cold, and I had to run on the street instead of the pavement in some places because it was icy, but it felt great!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10271 on: January 07, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »
@The Gem Cutter: I saw “The Darkest Hour” yesterday and enjoyed a lot of it a great deal and hated one scene so so much.

Relevance? The trailer for “Horse Soldiers” movie came on before the main feature. I have to say that I struggled with what felt like a rah-rah for USA war making. On the other hand, I greatly value the reality and approve/enjoy movies reflecting sacrifice and dedication in war. I will be very interested in your response to the movie once it’s out, since you have a perspective I respect and can’t have.

I served under a guy who was one of the Delta guys in the battle in Mogadishu, Somalia that the book and film Black Hawk Down depict. The book is well-known for its accuracy. The film is mostly accurate. I asked him about the film and he shrugged and said the film needed to be entertaining and so some aspects were adjusted. I respect his understanding that. He's the guy who almost fell out of the helicopter.

Like Lone Survivor. Black Hawk Down, and the other films that cover real world events, there will be aspects of the film that are solely the film's concern. And the audience is free to take away whatever they care to, including things that are neither existent in the work itself, nor rooted in reality. For my part, I am really only interested in the real events and the real men behind them. I've been imagining them for 15 years through articles and stories, so I have special handicaps and biases already in place.

My stance on celebrating war-fighting is conflicted, and an explanation would require more time and space than is warranted here. The short-version is that you do not have to love the thing to appreciate the character required to deal with it. Firefighters fight dangerous fires; policemen confront dangerous criminals; and the military confront dangerous enemies - and they all operate in dangerous, demanding environments. If there's a political spin or message in the film, for my part, I will likely roll my eyes and shrug. War is too complicated to be boiled down to anything, and certainly not boiled down to anything a 90-minute film can convey.
The Gem Cutter

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: January 08, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »
Jury duty today.
Unsure if this will be hours of boredom or not.
Full report later.   ;)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10273 on: January 08, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
Jmack,  ;D

Today when I left home it was -5 C!!! I spent AGES removing the ice from the windscreens, including inside the car >:( >:(

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10274 on: January 08, 2018, 04:43:07 PM »
Jmack,  ;D

Today when I left home it was -5 C!!! I spent AGES removing the ice from the windscreens, including inside the car >:( >:(

Oh, you're just adorable.  :)
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!