September 22, 2019, 07:14:35 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 997459 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #690 on: April 06, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
It's the first day of the professional baseball season here, and at work, human resources just came by with hot dogs, popcorn, sunflower seeds (many players' substitute of choice for chewing tobacco) and bubble gum.

Sometimes work is cool.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 06, 2015, 05:00:32 PM »
Cats? Cats? I don't really like cats ::)
I used to think that,  then we got cats. Completely and utterly converted, they're adorable little things.  :D

The morning was nice, now, not so much - still a couple of hours to go, I think, although I'll make a hard stop at 6 >:(

At least there's much more food :D
Sounds like you should take a nap, that always helps me! I hate working in an office now, so much nicer being at home. And yeah, food is a great perk.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #692 on: April 07, 2015, 01:31:28 AM »
Cats? Cats? I don't really like cats ::)

The morning was nice, now, not so much - still a couple of hours to go, I think, although I'll make a hard stop at 6 >:(

At least there's much more food :D
I'm not a cat person. I can't shake this feeling that behind it all they're really plotting to take over the world. On the other hand I don't mind the two local ones that like to hang out in our yard because they keep the mice and the rats honest (I've never seen one or evidence that they're around) and the possums in the trees where they belong. They do bother the birds, though and I like the birds.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 07, 2015, 08:41:31 AM »
That's what 'service industry' means. And agree 100% that people should be able to take their 2 days off whenever they wanted, in shifts but it could also be on the same days every week/month, to allow that service to be available.
Edit for Xia's reply: but if a person knew that their working days were always, say, wednesday to sunday, that would still be regular for them and not cause any health problems.
I think it would kill social life. Watch a game with friends on the weekend? Have a family gathering on a weekend? Won't happen anymore.

And the industry would certainly have it more easy to find a way to exploit the workers to maximize their profits even more...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #694 on: April 07, 2015, 09:31:25 AM »
It's when I see a combined discussion on the perks of cats and the problem of religious holidays being enforced on all, plus possible solutions to ensure that services are always available, that my love for these forums is profoundly reassured  :D
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 07, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »
That's what 'service industry' means. And agree 100% that people should be able to take their 2 days off whenever they wanted, in shifts but it could also be on the same days every week/month, to allow that service to be available.
Edit for Xia's reply: but if a person knew that their working days were always, say, wednesday to sunday, that would still be regular for them and not cause any health problems.
I think it would kill social life. Watch a game with friends on the weekend? Have a family gathering on a weekend? Won't happen anymore.

And the industry would certainly have it more easy to find a way to exploit the workers to maximize their profits even more...
We do those things, even though we work at the weekend and usually take Thursday and Friday off.  ;)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 09, 2015, 06:00:27 PM »
The drinking here in the King's Paws is quite good. We have wine, beer, a fine selection of liqueurs, tea, (clean) water, juices and if you don't pay attention while ordering a love potion or goat milk.

But we lack good food. So I've been thinking... why not catering? There's this new shop round the corner who makes exquisite food. I'm sure you've heard about the McTropes? I think it would complement our drinks menu nicely.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #697 on: April 09, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »
I can't believe you dismissed my cake (no spam!) so easily >:(
Mind you, if people prefer savouries, then yes, we lack food, but for sweets there's plenty available :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 09, 2015, 06:43:28 PM »
I can't believe you dismissed my cake (no spam!) so easily >:(
Mind you, if people prefer savouries, then yes, we lack food, but for sweets there's plenty available :D
I never dismiss sweets!  ;D And I'm sure we already had a cheese plate to the wine too.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #699 on: April 09, 2015, 11:43:59 PM »
*Brings in a plate of shining golden apples* I got these from some bloke wearing a helmet with horns on it.. I think they're golden delicious. Just ignore the sticker that says property of Iduna, that must be the orchard they came from.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 10, 2015, 02:23:26 AM »
I brought you some of Fair-Go Dibler's Pie Floaters from Fourecks, but really dropped by to share this gloriousness

https://twitter.com/davecrossx/status/585562206290468865

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 12, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »
Going to use a  Waterstone voucher so off to the book shop later  :D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #702 on: April 12, 2015, 10:14:12 AM »
Don't forget to let us know what you got :D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 12, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »
Don't forget to let us know what you got :D

Should have what books did you buy today topic  ;D

Those Above by Daniel Polansky a shiny hardback, I loved his Low town series so I think I should enjoy this new series

Half a King by Joe Abercrombie  I loved all his other books hopefully I love this one too

A Darker shade of Magic by Victoria .E.Schwab Decided to take a chance I've  never read anything by this author before just liked the blurb

Also I noticed there was a mystery crime book called The Black Country (The Murder Squad #2) by Alex Grecian as I come from the Black Country I want to read this but think I get it from the library

Any book set in you home-town or nearby areas?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #704 on: April 12, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »
Eeek, 3 :D
I've also got 3 brand new ones to read on my shelf (and one arriving soon):
* Peter Newman's The vagrant
* Peter V. Brett's The skull throne (ARC 8))
* Mark Alder's Son of the morning
 and A. J. Dalton's The book of Orm (when it finally arrives)

Any book set in you home-town or nearby areas?
Not that I know. Unless you count the Brontes etc, about 20 mins could be considered 'nearby'.

I drove past your area yesterday then, I remember seeing a big sign for "the Black Country" at the motorway!