September 16, 2019, 01:41:21 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 992812 times)

Offline Jaedia

Re: The King's Paws
« Reply #570 on: August 09, 2014, 11:55:05 PM »
No I did it quietly with a little cheerful dance whilst looking for hot chocolate. And no.. but it was raining when I started outside. I even gave the air a little Malcom Macdowell kick. Woops. ;)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #571 on: August 10, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
 ;D
Today it seems to be a question of "Drowing in the rain", and the storm hasn't even reached the north yet!
I guess it will be a "snuggling inside while the rain is outside" day
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Jaedia

« Reply #572 on: August 10, 2014, 02:28:19 PM »
Not a chance! I had to go to the charity shop, and later on had a date! My other half took me to my favourite Indian restaurant. Found the rain quite delightful, anyway. Though today it's more windy, that is definitely a snuggle inside kind of day.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #573 on: August 16, 2014, 07:15:24 PM »
Is there a better feeling in the world than having a bunch of brand new books to read? *
I've just bought Hobbs' Farseer trilogy and, once again against my better judgement of buying books before the (in this case 4) are published, Weeks' The black prism
 ;D

* I realise some people might reply with love and that kind of thing. Once you've been through the bad side of love, you realise it's overrated ;) (I know I know - until I fall in love again, is that it? I'll stick with my new books for now ;D)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Jaedia

« Reply #574 on: August 20, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
Is there a better feeling in the world than having a bunch of brand new books to read? *
I've just bought Hobbs' Farseer trilogy and, once again against my better judgement of buying books before the (in this case 4) are published, Weeks' The black prism
 ;D

Nope!! New books are The Best. :D

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #575 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:10 PM »
I enjoyed the Black Prism. But for some reason I only made it half way through, so I'm planning on reading it again soon :)
Also in a bit of short story obsession at the moment. H.P Lovecraft and Harlan Ellison are dominating my Kindle, as well as some choice anthologies :P
Up Helly Aah!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #576 on: October 17, 2014, 02:00:07 PM »
Don't you just love holidays that include dentists and tooth surgery?
 :'(
Still here another 4 days, removing the stitches on last day...

Looking at the Fantasy section in bookshops abroad is interesting... and makes me want to protect my local bookshops more!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #577 on: October 17, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »
Don't you just love holidays that include dentists and tooth surgery?
 :'(
Still here another 4 days, removing the stitches on last day...

Looking at the Fantasy section in bookshops abroad is interesting... and makes me want to protect my local bookshops more!
Interesting good or interesting bad, Bea?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #578 on: October 18, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
Interesting good or interesting bad, Bea?

Neither, really. Neutral.
I could say lots of things that I've been thinking about (I'm in the country where I was born and where I lived until 10 years ago), but to answer your question, it's interesting to see:
- the books available, that is, the ones chosen to be translated/published here
- the way they actually translate titles, names, etc
- the fact that now there actually is a Fantasy section (called either 'Sci-Fi' or 'Fantastic')
- the way that this makes me feel, and how translated books feel fake (I've read originals since my teenage years), and how I'm weird for feeling like that :-\

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #579 on: March 03, 2015, 09:10:18 AM »
Just noticed it has been a year since I joined these forums. I then went to my Goodreads profile, to check the books I have read this last year, and about 80% of them were books recommended here, so Fantasy-Faction has influenced my life greatly, and for the better.

Besides meeting some wonderful people, the Monthly Writing Contest has also been a great exercise and incentive to keep me trying to improve my writing. It has forced me out of my comfort zone a few times - the Fanfiction month, for example - which is great.

So, cheers everyone. I hope you don't mind if I hang around here for a bit longer  8)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 03, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
Congrats! You could've timed it so that this post would've been your 1400th, not your 1399th, though.   ;);D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #581 on: March 03, 2015, 12:11:35 PM »
Just noticed it has been a year since I joined these forums. I then went to my Goodreads profile, to check the books I have read this last year, and about 80% of them were books recommended here, so Fantasy-Faction has influenced my life greatly, and for the better.

Besides meeting some wonderful people, the Monthly Writing Contest has also been a great exercise and incentive to keep me trying to improve my writing. It has forced me out of my comfort zone a few times - the Fanfiction month, for example - which is great.

So, cheers everyone. I hope you don't mind if I hang around here for a bit longer  8)
Cheers, Miguel! I really can't imagine a nicer crew of people who are also sharp and funny. (Though I did have a great high school D&D / "let's go chanting" group: "Earth! Wind! Fire! Snow! Evil spirits, away you go!" Fun times.) You've certainly been welcoming to a newcomer like me.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #582 on: March 03, 2015, 12:45:44 PM »
*dances around and gives cake to everyone to celebrate*
I've been here almost 1.5 years - great place, great people :D

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #583 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
Cheers everyone  :) I have 'celebrated' the fact by changing my display name from my real name to the pseudonym I usually have associated with my writing (William G. Saraband), for no particular reason (well, having my real name here felt *too formal*...).
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #584 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »
Cheers everyone  :) I have 'celebrated' the fact by changing my display name from my real name to the pseudonym / nickname I usually have associated with my writing, for no particular reason (well, having my real name here felt *too formal*...).
Yes, but now we call you Sara?  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com