February 24, 2020, 02:44:39 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1097908 times)

Offline Bender

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #12405 on: January 13, 2020, 06:23:10 PM »
About 9 days in my resolution for a 21 day body cleanse and I had a super temptation last night. My friends were watching the playoff games in nearby pub and I had to force myself to not head there (avoiding temptation). It took a great deal of willpower and I finally had to head to gym to distract myself. Kinda overdid stuff and now whole body aches, but I managed to not break my cleanse. Mind over matter!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12406 on: January 13, 2020, 08:36:51 PM »
On an unrelated note, @Eli_Freysson I disagree that three days are enough for big cities. I'd like you to try this with Berlin or Istanbul for example. ;)
I spent 5 days, 5 intensive days, in Berlin, and there was still loads I didn't get to see!
Then again, I like going to all museums and galleries, hehe - if it's just to walk around streets, then 3 days might even be too much ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #12407 on: January 13, 2020, 10:10:44 PM »
If you discount museums, shows and such, 3 days is probably sufficient for most big cities. There are few exceptions (Paris, Rome etc) in which not spending more time would be a injustice.

Just off top of my head, my day count was...

4 days - Paris, Beijing
3 days - London, Tokyo, New York, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Brussels, Shanghai, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Dubai
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12408 on: January 14, 2020, 12:45:42 AM »
@siagan  Quick reply in politics thread  ;)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12409 on: January 14, 2020, 08:01:45 AM »
If you discount museums, shows and such, 3 days is probably sufficient for most big cities. There are few exceptions (Paris, Rome etc) in which not spending more time would be a injustice.

4 days - Paris, Beijing
3 days - London, Tokyo, New York, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Brussels, Shanghai, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Dubai

Someone mentioned Bangkok. That's new, hehe.  ;D

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12410 on: January 14, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »
I was always in awe of the Americans who got sold the coach trips of England and believed that they had seen the country because they have been to London, York and Bath. Or in one occasion they had toured all the castles in the UK. Something I haven't got close to doing as there are about 5000 of them and another 5000 sites with no structural remains. In American terms the UK is tiny, but it is full of history and the stories that go with it and they are often unaware of how much they are missing.

Anybody who believes they can visit a capital city and know it in a certain number of days is deluding themselves.

I visit London every couple of months or so. It changes over time and through the seasons. There are 2000 years of history built on top of each other or more realisticly on top of the Thames and if I go off the beaten track I find something new. There are museums whose collections you cannot view in a day and the total number of museums is over 250 I challenge anyone to view what interests them there in just 3 days.

Landmarks on pretty much every street And take a ferry down the river and more history will be fed to you as that was the heart of commerce in the city. Then the churches of the 80 destroyed by the fire of London in 1666 51 were rebuilt along with st. Paul's it is still possible to find much older architecture from early medieval times.

If thats not your bag how about the parks and green spaces? Shopping? Lots of independant shops for everything as well as the chain stores. Food from everywhere some really good eating out as well as the pubs, bars and nightclubs. And I could go on....

I was lucky enough to visit Vienna on a regular basis a while back . It is tiny as capitals go. I have walked round it, stayed in the centre and got to eat drink and look around the city on expenses. In no way would I claim to know it or to have seen everything it has to offer and am probably unaware of how much more there is to see.

Online isos81

« Reply #12411 on: January 14, 2020, 01:53:29 PM »

4 days - Paris, Beijing

Have you not been to Istanbul?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12412 on: January 14, 2020, 01:56:41 PM »

4 days - Paris, Beijing

Have you not been to Istanbbul

First thing I would do in Istanbul is meet the great Isos and take him to a bookshop.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online isos81

« Reply #12413 on: January 14, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »

4 days - Paris, Beijing

Have you not been to Istanbbul

First thing I would do in Istanbul is meet the great Isos and take him to a bookshop.

Hey, I don't live in Istanbul. But I would meet you there if you plan to visit Istanbul :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #12414 on: January 14, 2020, 02:45:49 PM »
Have you not been to Istanbul?

Nope. Back in 2010 made plan to visit Turkey, Jordan and Egypt with my friends, but then Arab Spring threw a spanner in the works. Still want to do that trip, but if the geopolitical considerations get better. Hopefully soon.

Offline Rostum

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12416 on: January 17, 2020, 07:31:11 AM »
Well, we’re off to Trinidad and Tobago for a week. Never been there; little nervous because it’s new, but should be lovely. Flight leaves 5 am. Transfer in Miami and then Port of Spain before taking a puddle jumper to Tobago. Land around 7 tonight. Hooray for all day in airplanes and airports.

Should be internet just fine, so I’ll check in and let you know how it’s going.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12417 on: January 17, 2020, 08:00:38 AM »
Jmack, have a lovely time!!
You deserve all the rest and relaxation :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: January 17, 2020, 08:03:41 AM »
Well, we’re off to Trinidad and Tobago for a week. Never been there; little nervous because it’s new, but should be lovely. Flight leaves 5 am. Transfer in Miami and then Port of Spain before taking a puddle jumper to Tobago. Land around 7 tonight. Hooray for all day in airplanes and airports.

Have you took the book club read with you, have a lovely time.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12419 on: January 17, 2020, 01:27:38 PM »

Have you took the book club read with you, have a lovely time.

Definitely! Read the wolves chapter on the first flight.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com