July 04, 2020, 07:47:10 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1157293 times)

Offline Bender

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #12390 on: January 09, 2020, 05:32:46 PM »
Sorry if I'm a pedant, but when did it become normal to use "none" instead of "non"?
I keep seeing "none-mandatory", "none-violence", "none-linear"...

'Non' is a prefix, 'none' is a pronoun, so the 2 words should be used in completely different places.

It really bugs me ??? ::)

It's all none-sense ofc.  ;)
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12391 on: January 10, 2020, 12:51:38 AM »
You might just have to retire to a nonery to avoid this type of worldly frustration.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12392 on: January 10, 2020, 06:34:31 AM »
Thank you to all here who replied to my post and sent Australia and me your kind thoughts, it is very much appreciated. Yesterday and today our air has cleared and it is wonderful, so maybe you wished that to me as well. ;D

I am not someone who sheds tears easily, but of late there have been quite a few, because of the animals, and all the lovely places I know so well -  where we went for day trips or to camp by the beaches when the kids were young or to the mountains to take visitors to see the wild horses and the snow- have all been hurt and destroyed. This is how all of Australia is feeling and far worse for many because they are now homeless and evacuated and have to start from scratch again.

But I want to write about what has brought happy tears for the overwhelming kindness of strangers which restores faith in the basic goodness of ordinary people, despite the vile actions of greedy governments.  Caring people all over the world, professional and voluntary have responded in so many ways.

The Canadians firefighters have been here from the start and their helicopters have been waterbombing where firemen cannot reach
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/technology/us-canadian-firefighters-will-help-local-efforts-in-bushfire-crisis/news-story/b3682d095caacf22de608e1fb123a9d9

and this week a most welcome contingent of 100 firefighters from US arrived and were cheered in at the airport to their surprise.

It seems every crafter is busy knitting sewing or crocheting pouches and mittens for baby animals who are being nursed.

https://10daily.com.au/news/a200107szpkb/the-world-is-knitting-clothes-for-australias-injured-wildlife-and-darn-the-pics-are-cute-20200107

There have been fund raisers all over the world from clever people with original ideas and it is wonderful. One in particular is fun and was begun on Twitter,probably only about ten days ago and has completely taken off wildly. If you have access to Twitter you can find it by searching for  #Authors For Firies and the proceeds will go to the Country Fire Association.*   

This is how it works Writers of all genres contribute a signed book or other special things like talks, mentoring, lunch or dinner to meet them etc. Then people bid on Twitter and it will close tomorrow when final highest bids are accepted. Lost count of how many writers have offered up  great prizes . OK  thought I would put in a bid. No way they started going up into $100's and climbing early on and I can't possibly try but that is wonderful. Readers responses have been amazing, but what a great idea. I think a few of our members are involved, certainly authors we read, but it has grown too big for me to find them all.

So - a million thank-yous to good people everywhere  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

*CFA Volunteer firefighters who train all year round and are available to help the paid firemen when needed. They have been worked to exhaustion, have left homes and businesses or jobs because so badly needed since last September. Some worked at job in day then were on duty  all night. They have to supply their own uniforms, drinks, snacks etc and have lost income.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:52:37 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline isos81

« Reply #12393 on: January 10, 2020, 06:24:54 PM »
Brand new Valheru here 8)

Edit:
Ohh, I'm Chrestomanci, not Valheru. Don't know what they both are, tho :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:55:27 PM by isos81 »
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12394 on: January 11, 2020, 03:18:08 AM »
@Lady Ty, it’s so good to hear from you and valuable hear what you are sharing. People do bond together in the face of horrible events. I try to imagine my beloved Brightwater summer community of woods and cabins gone in a day from fire. Heartbreaking heartbreaking heartbreaking.

Did I see something about people setting fires in Australia and arrested?
If so, I can only say wow.

Meanwhile over here, we presented the movie “Free Solo” at our local arts center tonight. (Mrs. JMack and I volunteer there.) Amazing film. If you haven’t seen it, put it on your list.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #12395 on: January 11, 2020, 06:53:30 PM »
I'm also curious about this camel killing thing...
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12396 on: January 11, 2020, 07:50:51 PM »
Eclipse of the wolf moon, kneel before me.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12397 on: January 11, 2020, 08:01:17 PM »
@Lady Ty, it’s so good to hear from you and valuable hear what you are sharing. People do bond together in the face of horrible events. I try to imagine my beloved Brightwater summer community of woods and cabins gone in a day from fire. Heartbreaking heartbreaking heartbreaking.

Meanwhile over here, we presented the movie “Free Solo” at our local arts center tonight. (Mrs. JMack and I volunteer there.) Amazing film. If you haven’t seen it, put it on your list.

Free Solo added to the list.  Will see if Amazon or Netflix has it. 

My head can't even begin to get around what is happening in Australia. 

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/bushfires-push-at-least-20-threatened-species-closer-to-extinction

And just think three  hundred years ago Australia was a very large island in which the indigineous people lived in harmony with the wildlife. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12398 on: January 11, 2020, 08:23:55 PM »
:o ??? ???
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #12399 on: January 12, 2020, 12:45:53 AM »
Watch Valley Uprising in Netflix. I loved Free Solo, but Valley Uprising is far far better and much more entertaining.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #12400 on: January 12, 2020, 01:17:36 AM »

Free Solo added to the list.  Will see if Amazon or Netflix has it. 

My head can't even begin to get around what is happening in Australia. 

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/bushfires-push-at-least-20-threatened-species-closer-to-extinction

And just think three  hundred years ago Australia was a very large island in which the indigineous people lived in harmony with the wildlife.

Hi Jmack and Nighteyes, appreciate your interest and am happy to supply information for anyone asking, although the best way to do that is to give you links to the best explanations I have from other sources here.

One major nasty rumour I would like firmly hit on the head is that the bushfires are caused by arsonists. This is untrue, and there has been a deliberate massive troll bot campaign and by the Murdoch media to spread this internationally. They are trying to discredit climate change  denial by the govt. as having a major part in the unprecedented ferocity and circumstances leading to this disaster.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-51043826/australia-fires-debunking-arson-emergency-claims

https://www.zdnet.com/article/twitter-bots-and-trolls-promote-conspiracy-theories-about-australian-bushfires/

Also another unfounded fake news being spread is that "greenies" prevented hazard reduction or back burning.

I mentioned both of these earlier here, but omitted to explain Hazard Reduction includes clearing out natural debris on forest floor as well as burning undergrowth. Some forests are either too vast or impenetrable so this is usually done around inhabited areas and recognised vulnerable areas.

I will try and post  what the Fire Chiefs wrote to put this one to rest

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENaz07SUcAAM-_7?format=png&name=360x360

Another point that is of huge concern is that while the deaths our precious mammals, birds and tiny creatures is terrible, it also has to be recognised that massive insect life is also gone, threatening the loss of food for other species, pollination because wild bees etc gone and the earth so deeply burned it's plant life may never recover.

Australia only deserves condemnation for what we have neglected to do, but please please everyone look at Australia as an immediate warning that climate change is real, it is happening, it needs everyone's action to force leaders to try and mitigate it, if there is still time.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:20:59 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #12401 on: January 12, 2020, 01:32:38 AM »

@isos81  Didn't know anything about that, this is only thing I found today and can't verify or deny it's accuracy.  If I find a report later that can rely on will post it.

https://www.livescience.com/australian-hunters-kill-camels-helicopters-drought-fire-season.html

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12402 on: January 13, 2020, 08:29:18 AM »
Camels do better in Australia than anywhere else in the world with both Dromedries and Bactrian camels having been imported during the 19th Century. There are over a million wild camels and they indirectly damage the habitat and take scarce water resources from indiginous fauna and flora.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12403 on: January 13, 2020, 09:23:31 AM »
*always learning*

;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12404 on: January 13, 2020, 05:28:41 PM »
oooooh I just wrote you a long reply but lost it this minute. So sorry will write again properly tomorrow,Thank you for your thoughts, it is just heartbreaking in every way.
It's not just heartbreaking, it's incredibly infuriating too. Why is ScoMo still in power? Is there nothing the people can do until the next votes? It's ironic in a really sad way that the country who suffers most from climate change is led by a climate change denier who is bribed by the coal and mines lobby to do nothing.

500 Million Animals (not counting Insects and other small ones of course) died in a horrible way already and there are not enough Koala bears left to keep the species alive without human interaction.

It's easy to say, I know, but I don't believe he would still be in power in Germany. If he hadn't resigned voluntarily, his party would have made him because they weren't willing to go down with him (hello GOP, let's see how this works out for you).

On an unrelated note, @Eli_Freysson I disagree that three days are enough for big cities. I'd like you to try this with Berlin or Istanbul for example. ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:31:46 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)