July 04, 2020, 06:57:52 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1157279 times)

Offline Bender

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #12375 on: January 08, 2020, 02:20:04 PM »
It's quite strange that we managed to put man on moon and send rockets to outer space, but can't stop fires in Earth. Thought California one was bad, but Australia is multi-fold worse.

Rather than fighting each other, this is a event where all countries should come together to protect the planet that we all live in.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12376 on: January 08, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »
Is anyone here familiar with Rotterdam?

I hate flying abroad, because it requires me to travel all the way across the country for the international airport, and I don't deal well with stress and inescapable stimulus on top of stress and inescapable stimulus.

But now there are flights available straight from my town and out of the country, to Rotterdam. They're pretty reasonably priced and I think I might like the city. But I took a quick look at the hotel prices and took a step back.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12377 on: January 08, 2020, 05:32:16 PM »
Have you tried a hotel comparison website might have cheaper hotels.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12378 on: January 08, 2020, 05:39:13 PM »
Also, I haven't been there myself, but I know it's quite industrial/commercial, so you might have checked at a time when there was an important conference/exhibition (and so hotels would get more expensive). Try other dates.

I'm also getting really sick of airports. I'm considering trying the eurostar in June or something...
I remember when I flew from Antwerp to London City once, it was the best airport experience I've had! Basically Antwerp airport was a porta-cabin, hehe, only a couple of people using it - your town airport might be similar!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:41:29 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12379 on: January 08, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
I’m going to Switzerland in June with Great-rail journeys, I leave from London Eurostar and stop in Strasbourg for one night before stopping in a hotel in Switzerland for 5 nights and from there we visit a different area each day on rail. Then back to London.

Aare gorge, Meiringen

Reichenbach falls

Brienze

Lucerne

Jungfrau

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12380 on: January 08, 2020, 09:11:39 PM »
Is anyone here familiar with Rotterdam?

I hate flying abroad, because it requires me to travel all the way across the country for the international airport, and I don't deal well with stress and inescapable stimulus on top of stress and inescapable stimulus.

But now there are flights available straight from my town and out of the country, to Rotterdam. They're pretty reasonably priced and I think I might like the city. But I took a quick look at the hotel prices and took a step back.

As Bea says Rotterdam is very industrial, always busy and congested by road and while the airport is largely frieght its too small for needs on the passenger side. Anything close to the airport is going to be expensive.
 I have used Inntel in the Netherlands but not in Rotterdam and they are usually £60-£80pppn and very good.

What is your actual destination? The Netherlands is not a big place and travelling on from the airport wouild be easier than in the UK.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12381 on: January 08, 2020, 11:24:11 PM »
What is your actual destination? The Netherlands is not a big place and travelling on from the airport wouild be easier than in the UK.

I would be landing on the Hague airport.

I've talked to my father about this idea. He lives in Norway and we've previously vacationed together by meeting elsewhere (London, Paris, Spain). Since the return trip is exactly a week after arrival, my father suggested we spend about three days in Rotterdam before going somewhere else nearby, as three days is all it takes to really take in a big city.

What do you guys think? You all probably have more experience with larger urban areas than me.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12382 on: January 09, 2020, 02:01:12 AM »
Need suggestions other than Imgur for hosting photos I can then post on F-F. Thoughts?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #12383 on: January 09, 2020, 02:30:12 AM »
Need suggestions other than Imgur for hosting photos I can then post on F-F. Thoughts?
Imgbox, Flickr
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12384 on: January 09, 2020, 06:29:07 AM »
Hague to Rotterdam is about 35 minutes and £7 each way by train pretty much airport to airport. I wouldn't choose to stay in Rotterdam for a holiday it has a pretty enough city centre but the outskirts are heavily industrialised and probably the least pretty area of the Netherlands. It's a central conduit for moving goods and massivly congested on its roads and ring roads. If its convinient to meet there move on somewhere quieter and prettier for cheaper hotels.

The railways are great you get a credit card type travelcard and top it up on vending machines in the station. you tap this on entry and exit from your train and it gets you the best price same card works on the buses as well.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12385 on: January 09, 2020, 06:47:29 AM »
Wow, @Nighteyes, what an adventure and what a service!

Thank you!

My heart goes out to @Lady Ty and all our Australian members. Some of the most upsetting news I have ever seen. What a tragedy for both the people and incredible diversity of the flora and fauna of Australia.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Bender

« Reply #12386 on: January 09, 2020, 03:14:00 PM »
Who watched Ricky Gervais opening monologue for Golden Globes? Absolutely brutal takedown of Hollywood! I loved it  8) Just so funny, esp the reactions of the actors.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12387 on: January 09, 2020, 03:36:10 PM »
I have watched it after the fact and the usual suspects have rushed to the defense of the Hollywood elites attacking Gervais for being unfunny and boring. And Still millionaires stood there collecting awards and telling everybody else how to live their lives. presumably before flying off to celebrate.....

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12388 on: January 09, 2020, 04:04:19 PM »
Sorry if I'm a pedant, but when did it become normal to use "none" instead of "non"?
I keep seeing "none-mandatory", "none-violence", "none-linear"...

'Non' is a prefix, 'none' is a pronoun, so the 2 words should be used in completely different places.

It really bugs me ??? ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: January 09, 2020, 04:16:33 PM »
Sorry if I'm a pedant, but when did it become normal to use "none" instead of "non"?
I keep seeing "none-mandatory", "none-violence", "none-linear"...

'Non' is a prefix, 'none' is a pronoun, so the 2 words should be used in completely different places.

It really bugs me ??? ::)

That's not pedantry, that's being right.

I have never seen this myself, but it must surely be poor spellchecking or similar. Surely.  :o
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex