March 29, 2020, 09:11:12 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1105596 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #12360 on: January 05, 2020, 03:55:56 PM »
I signed up to do a 5K or 10K in Battersea Park a few weeks back thinking I'll target 10K for the 5th Jan and do lots of prep over the Xmas hols. 

If you are sniggering, you are right to.  If you were to write a sitcom plot where the lead character has to do a run, and does all the wrong things to prepare for it, this has been my Xmas.  Even yesterday I met a few old school friends and knocked back 3 pints and had a dirty burger.  And then a cheeky jalfrezi before a night of interupted sleep.  The day before that I did go on a hike ...a good 10 miles along a very tricky part of the North Downs - chalk  soil and rain is a great combination (and bear in mind how much rain Kent got before Xmas) but again 7 pints and a cheeky Maccas.  And let's not even discuss NYE.  Home 4am, and my credit card statement is shocking. 

However ... I sucked it in and went for 5K.  And 28:45 chip time.  I'll take that.  Just imagine my times if I prepared properly!  1st  March - half marathon.  This has to be good detox couple of months ...
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12361 on: January 05, 2020, 04:39:42 PM »
Nighteyes, that is super!!!
When I run 5k I do it around 34".

I haven't been running since before Christmas, but I've done a few >5km walks around here (I basically live in the countryside hehe). I pick up my Ordnance Survey map, choose an area, and start following the public footpaths.
It's not running, but at least it's not just staying home either...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #12362 on: January 05, 2020, 08:59:35 PM »
My latest 5K was around 25 minutes though I had an injury and I was not fast. Getting better at this :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12363 on: January 06, 2020, 09:18:03 PM »
Quick question: Is anyone willing to take a look at a basic outline I have for a short story? I want to enter the Silk and Steel contest, and I've come up with an idea. I just want to hear someone's thoughts on it.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12364 on: January 06, 2020, 09:39:10 PM »
Eli, if you're just looking for an input on whether an idea is good or interesting, I can check it.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12365 on: January 06, 2020, 11:55:02 PM »
Eli, I’m happy to look too.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: January 07, 2020, 08:22:42 PM »
New Year, new adventure.  This Summer I going to volunteer with Street Child for 2 weeks helping to develop the teachers in Uganda so more children will have access to a high quality education.  Here is the link. 

gf.me/u/xayckp

Donations are much appreciated as any funds I raise before March 4th will be doubled by the UK government.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:35:07 PM by ScarletBea »
The Real Powers That Be

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12367 on: January 08, 2020, 12:38:39 AM »
Wow, @Nighteyes, what an adventure and what a service!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #12368 on: January 08, 2020, 06:26:28 AM »
I'm very hurt by the fires in Australia and animals suffering. Is there any aussie here to shed some light on what is really going on in Australia?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12369 on: January 08, 2020, 07:55:55 AM »
I'm very hurt by the fires in Australia and animals suffering. Is there any aussie here to shed some light on what is really going on in Australia?
Let's see if they reply.

In the meantime, I'm sure Lady Ty won't mind me copying this bit of her message to me last week (this from a city still relatively far away from the actual fires):

"Conditions here are horrible, but I am safe. The temp today is 41C has been between 38 -42C for days, air quality 188 in Red unhealthy zone  also like this for weeks because so much smoke like grey pall over city from fires about 50km away. Breathing affected, staying in all time  have air con but still get smoke smell. Will have to buy air purifiers for future, this will happen every year now."
 :(

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: January 08, 2020, 11:00:54 AM »
oooooh I just wrote you a long reply but lost it this minute. So sorry will write again properly tomorrow,Thank you for your thoughts, it is just heartbreaking in every way. 
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12371 on: January 08, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »
Certainly not Australian and have limited peripheral knowledge through reading about drought in Australia and the effect on world wheat markets. All very long term depressing for the world.

A number of conditions create a perfect storm. A reduction in budgets for firefighters, Changes and reduction in budget for burn back policies, higher temperatures, less rain and the real kicker Australia voted in a party more concerned with religion than the environment.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: January 08, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »
Just managed to copy from a tab sorry for typos but posting now.

Hello everyone, will tell you a little, but hard to talk about most of it, itis raw and so much destruction and terror for those in the midst of it all. We are all devastated by the loss and suffering of so many people, 3700 homes latest and sad deaths now 24 to date. But the terrible toll on the wildlife, not just animals but the whole ecosystem of forests is completely heartbreaking. Much is probably irrecoverable because time is now running out.  It is a very frightening time altogether because the fires keep spreading despite so much brave work by firefighters.

I will make a few requests for now -

If you want to donate to a charity please try and choose one that goes straight to the people who need it, a named wildlife hospital or sanctuary or a voluntary organisation or a named town relief fund. This makes sure the money gets where it is needed and not co-opted by govt run or in a huge organisations running costs.

Secondly please refute and do not believe any of the claims about the fires being caused being armies of arsonists. This is simply untrue and is being deliberately spread widely by trollbots and is wickedly wrong. There have been approx 24 actual charges of arson, there have been quite a few accidental human causes  but the majority of fires have been started by lightning strikes. Then it is just a case of spreading with terrible speed because everything here is bone dry from the drought, and many fires in an area joining up.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/twitter-bots-and-trolls-promote-conspiracy-theories-about-australian-bushfires/

Third please refute and do not believe the claim that the Greens are to blame because they stopped hazard reduction or back burning.Firstly that is untrue and the link below from the fire chiefs explain. Also there is a difference between the two which also which also causes confusion.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-fire-brigade-dispels-the-rumour-that-greens-are-to-blame-for-bushfires-20200105

Hazard reduction is systematic clearing of forests in the off season by burning off undergrowth, but it is entirely dependent on weather conditions and our forests are too vast for most to be treated like this.

Backburning is when firemen create a deliberate burned area around an already burning fire to make a dead barrier where there is no vegetation for a fire to jump across. This is a dangerous thing in itself for the firemen and not always successful.

Much later on I may post more on the politics thread about the politics involved that has made this so much worse, but here and now is not the time. Personally Canberra is still safe  except at the outer suburbs where there can always be  a local fire where the bush begins. as long as we do not get any closer fires. I have been living in one of these with the bush at the bottom of the street and it is a nervous time, but as of end of January I move right into the city near one of the lakes and although sorry to be leaving our family home it is now a huge relief.   As for the air quality that fluctuates from day to day. At present it is AQ up to 180 which is unhealthy, but we have had a few days when it was both over 40C and AQ 485 so that is horrible. We stay indoors with everything closed and air conditioning on and purifiers if you can get one. Even on bettr days we are now wearing masks outside the smoke gets everywhere and it is murky grey sky. Guess we are looking forward to March when it should be better, but the dreadful fact is it may well start all  over again in September.

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12373 on: January 08, 2020, 12:16:12 PM »
We're glad you're alright, @Lady Ty! Keep safe and I wish you and everyone of your countrymen the best of escaping this calamity without harm.

For those poor koalas, kangaroos, I hope these fires would soon receded.  :-\

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12374 on: January 08, 2020, 01:01:48 PM »
You are in my thoughts  @Lady Ty along with the rest of the Australia. Stay safe!