November 20, 2019, 10:15:52 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1029423 times)

Offline Bender

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #12105 on: October 10, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »
I started running. I'm aiming for 21 km and then 42 km (marathon distance) and join some races for fun. Let's see how this goes.

Ps: My first try was 5-6 km.

I ran my first 21 last year. Make a training schedule and follow it. Doing a lot initially increases injury chances.

Also, if possible train at same race time. Most races here are in early morning time. Training at same time helps a lot.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline isos81

« Reply #12106 on: October 10, 2019, 11:53:10 AM »
I started running. I'm aiming for 21 km and then 42 km (marathon distance) and join some races for fun. Let's see how this goes.

Ps: My first try was 5-6 km.

I ran my first 21 last year. Make a training schedule and follow it. Doing a lot initially increases injury chances.

Also, if possible train at same race time. Most races here are in early morning time. Training at same time helps a lot.

Thanks Bender, these are valuable advices. I have a close friend who ran 21 and more. He is guiding me. Injuries are common if you too early push yourself beyond your limits so I'll be careful.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12107 on: October 10, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »
*jealous*
I only just manage 5km and I'm so proud of that...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #12108 on: October 10, 2019, 03:53:17 PM »
*jealous*

I can't run those high km's right now, too :) It's all sticking to a plan and train continuosly. Why don't you join me? Let's train together and who know, maybe we can run a marathon together :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #12109 on: October 10, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »
*jealous*

Imo that's the perfect length to run. An odd 10k to challenge yourself occasionally and it's all good. Anything more is boring for me.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12110 on: October 10, 2019, 10:46:09 PM »
I've been getting back into archery these last couple of weeks. It's been four of five years, but I'm managing to scrape off the rust. Just earlier I tried maximum range again, and managed to nail the bullseye a couple of times. Not bad, considering I'm using a plain old longbow.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12111 on: October 13, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »
So I just knew that our FF logo dragon's name is Scarlette. Pretty new discovery, hah.

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12112 on: October 13, 2019, 10:33:02 AM »
(^ I adjusted the size)

Nothing to do with me, honestly!

By the way, anyone in Norfolk, or on the way between Yorkshire and Norfolk?
I'm taking a couple of days off next week and I'm going there, as it seems to be the only place in the UK where it won't be raining (within 4 hours drive), hehe
Anyway, it's new places to visit :D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:37:15 AM by ScarletBea »

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12113 on: October 15, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »
Found this little half-minute video, and it just made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12115 on: October 18, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »
Always useful :)

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12116 on: October 19, 2019, 03:24:40 AM »
Always useful :)

Someone should screen this and put it on a t-shirt. Several years ago, I once bought a wristband that said, "Screw this, I'm going home." They'd make a nice set.  ;D

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12117 on: October 19, 2019, 07:22:36 PM »
I recently came back to Akureyri after attending the funeral of my grandfather.

Kjartan Jóhannesson
13. October 1925 - 8. October 2019.

The ceremony was very well done, and it is a marker of the kind of life he led that a lot of people attended. The priest said a lot of pretty things about Jesus, resurrection, divine love, justice, his reunion with his wife in "the summer land", and other things I cannot bring myself to believe in. But it is still good and proper to remember those who are gone. I did walk over to the open casket when it was my turn and make the sign of the cross, for the sake of appearances and as a show of respect. But when I stopped there for a few moments, rather than being mournful I opted to think back 20+ years to when I saw him laugh at the laxative scene in Dumb and Dumber.

He is now buried at the Húsavík cemetery, next to my grandmother. It really is a great location, with a fantastic view of the bay and the mountains on the other side of it.

As I said when he died, I am not sad. It was his time to go and then some. But I do feel thoughtful about mortality and life in general.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention: The music played both before and after the main ceremony and its psalms and blessings was a CD with my grandfather's own accordion playing. He played for decades and was part of a local group of fellow old men called Strákabandið (The Boy Band). One of his friends played several songs live in the church.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:22:15 PM by Eli_Freysson »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12118 on: October 20, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
I think about my father almost every day. At times I run a litany of names past my mind

@Eli_Freysson, I’ll take the summer land for them all, if it’s available to non-Icelanders.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12119 on: October 20, 2019, 05:54:22 PM »
Yay Jmack!! :D
I'm on holidays for a couple of days, just arrived to the first hotel: I'm in Norwich, in the East/Southeast of England
Today I visited a great stately home (where the family still lives, in a private wing not open to the public) and a seaside town, where I walked on the beach (sometimes I do miss the sea).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:56:14 PM by ScarletBea »