July 14, 2020, 04:42:08 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 1159639 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #12090 on: October 08, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »
Ooooh don't talk to me about the one I saw in Australia :'( I jumped and cried, and people looked at me strangely, saying that was a 'normal sized one' >:(

@Elfy, @Lady Ty, @cupiscent, Bender's asking about australian spiders...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12091 on: October 08, 2019, 06:00:54 PM »
Well, my grandfather has passed away.  He took his time with it, even after falling unconscious and it becoming clear that he was on his way out. But then he was always the quiet, slow-moving methodical type.

His name was Kjartan Jóhannesson. Six of his children were present. Two more were at work and one lives abroad. The funeral will likely be on Saturday next week, in his quiet little hometown of Húsavík.

I'm not sad, as such. It would have been best for him to go a few years earlier. But I do feel solemn.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline isos81

« Reply #12092 on: October 08, 2019, 07:34:14 PM »
Well, my grandfather has passed away.  He took his time with it, even after falling unconscious and it becoming clear that he was on his way out. But then he was always the quiet, slow-moving methodical type.

His name was Kjartan Jóhannesson. Six of his children were present. Two more were at work and one lives abroad. The funeral will likely be on Saturday next week, in his quiet little hometown of Húsavík.

I'm not sad, as such. It would have been best for him to go a few years earlier. But I do feel solemn.

I'm sorry for your loss Eli. My prayers are with you and your family.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online cupiscent

« Reply #12093 on: October 09, 2019, 07:54:28 AM »
Many condolences, Eli. I know that feeling well.

Any of you in Australia? I've heard of horror stories of spiders in swimming pool and parked cars and people have to check every day before getting into them. The poisonous kind too.

Let me tell you a story. We went to visit some friends in Switzerland and they, like many people there, asked us to take our shoes off at the front door and leave them in little cubbyholes outside. We, proper Aussies, went, "but... spiders?!" Because, for serious, if you left your shoes outside in Australia, you would want to knock them out in the morning for spiders. There wouldn't always be spiders, but once in a while there would be, and chances are good it would be something pretty poisonous, because redbacks (very poisonous, prrrobably only deadly to the small and old and unwell) like nice, quiet nooks. I always check for them when I need to reach into the sprinkler system cubby. I usually find one or two.

My biggest concern with spiders, though, is whitetails, which we also get in our house. They're house spiders, they like to crawl around rather than make webs and wait, so they have a tendency to get into clothes left on the floor. Then, when you grab the clothes and put them on, the spiders end up terrified and right next to your skin, so they do what comes naturally. There are many anecdotes of their bites necrotising, but apparently there's no scientific backing on that. Still, no one needs half a dozen spider bites in their armpit, so I always shake out my clothes if they were on the floor.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12094 on: October 09, 2019, 08:07:32 AM »
Let me tell you a story. We went to visit some friends in Switzerland and they, like many people there, asked us to take our shoes off at the front door and leave them in little cubbyholes outside. We, proper Aussies, went, "but... spiders?!" Because, for serious, if you left your shoes outside in Australia, you would want to knock them out in the morning for spiders. There wouldn't always be spiders, but once in a while there would be, and chances are good it would be something pretty poisonous, because redbacks (very poisonous, prrrobably only deadly to the small and old and unwell) like nice, quiet nooks. I always check for them when I need to reach into the sprinkler system cubby. I usually find one or two.

My biggest concern with spiders, though, is whitetails, which we also get in our house. They're house spiders, they like to crawl around rather than make webs and wait, so they have a tendency to get into clothes left on the floor. Then, when you grab the clothes and put them on, the spiders end up terrified and right next to your skin, so they do what comes naturally. There are many anecdotes of their bites necrotising, but apparently there's no scientific backing on that. Still, no one needs half a dozen spider bites in their armpit, so I always shake out my clothes if they were on the floor.

I wonder whether you sleep with your shoes on? :) How do you feel safe while sleeping if there are so many spiders around?

I grew up in a village and we never killed spiders (and other reptiles or bugs, too, as long as they are not parasites like mosquitos). Some muslims even consider spiders holy as one of them supposedly saved Mohammad.

I understand your fears but remember that we are the ones invading their natural life and they are much more frightened :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12095 on: October 09, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »

I wonder whether you sleep with your shoes on? :) How do you feel safe while sleeping if there are so many spiders around?

I grew up in a village and we never killed spiders (and other reptiles or bugs, too, as long as they are not parasites like mosquitos). Some muslims even consider spiders holy as one of them supposedly saved Mohammad.

I understand your fears but remember that we are the ones invading their natural life and they are much more frightened :)

If anyone would wanted to die, they just needed to visit Australia as a foreigner, hahah.  ;D
As the famous saying goes, "Everything in Australia is trying to kill you."

I shook out my shoes in the morning too, but that's only for mosquitoes, heh.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12096 on: October 09, 2019, 10:15:55 AM »
Aside from all the venomous critters I'm pretty sure I'd spontaneously combust the moment I stepped out of the airplane.

I consider 20 °C to be hot, uncomfortably so if it's sunny.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12097 on: October 09, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »
And yet half the people to die to animals ever were killed by horses. The most dangerous beasties.

I can't think of a single fantasy character killed by their horse offhand

Offline isos81

« Reply #12098 on: October 09, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
And yet half the people to die to animals ever were killed by horses. The most dangerous beasties.

Sometimes they fall of their horses and break their necks. It's not a killed-by-a-horse thing tho :)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12099 on: October 09, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »

Theoden.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12100 on: October 09, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »
you're right he was crushed by his horse, I think the king of the Nazgul may have been involved as well though.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12101 on: October 09, 2019, 03:04:57 PM »
The only guy that came to my mind is Christopher Reeves, but he isn't a fantasy character so I guess that doesn't count.  ::)

Offline Bender

« Reply #12102 on: October 10, 2019, 01:08:42 AM »

Where does this stat come from?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12103 on: October 10, 2019, 01:49:30 AM »
Straight out of thin air, but it was about right. If you count insects then Mosquitoes would be top but if you are going to count bugs you mights as well just go straight for malaria bacteria as the killer of 1 in 4 humans who ever lived.

And actually checking horses are still within the top 20 worldwide, but have slipped. I would guess the automobile has saved countless people from being thrown, kicked, crushed and stomped on. oh wait!

In Australia horses kill twice as many people as sharks and crocodiles combined per year.
In the UK where we lack dangerous beasties its horses cows and dogs all the way.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12104 on: October 10, 2019, 06:41:21 AM »
I started running. I'm aiming for 21 km and then 42 km (marathon distance) and join some races for fun. Let's see how this goes.

Ps: My first try was 5-6 km.