September 23, 2019, 12:01:03 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 998909 times)

Online Eli_Freysson

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #12015 on: September 11, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
In other news our newly immigrated South African neighbors just asked my wive how she could wear shorts when it was so cold outside. It's still above 20°C and it can go below -10°C in winter here, so I have no idea how they will survive or if they really know what they have to expect in regard of low temperatures.

Oh boy.

My cousin has lived in Arizona for about twenty years, and once she came for an extended visit during a fairly brutal December. She refused to step out of the house unless a car had been heated up for her, and then she'd RUN into it.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Bender

« Reply #12016 on: September 11, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »
What bothers me most in winter is not the cold but lack of sunlight. Short and gray days makes you feel dull too. As long as there's some bright sun (even no warmth), I'd take winter over summer anytime. I'm a fall/winter guy rather than a spring/summer guy.
Not all those who wander are lost

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12017 on: September 12, 2019, 05:29:23 AM »
What bothers me most in winter is not the cold but lack of sunlight. Short and gray days makes you feel dull too. As long as there's some bright sun (even no warmth), I'd take winter over summer anytime. I'm a fall/winter guy rather than a spring/summer guy.

Sunlight is my biggest migraine trigger, so it's the other way around for me. I get very sick of the cold and the icy streets, but I appreciate the darkness.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12018 on: September 12, 2019, 08:00:35 AM »
Has anyone ever visited Turkey?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12019 on: September 12, 2019, 10:03:13 AM »

My mother would be going to Turkey around next month. A shame I won't be joining her, haha, I'd love to see the Hagia Sophia at least once.  8)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12020 on: September 12, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »
I've been to Istanbul a few years ago. Uhm... 13 to be precise.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12021 on: September 12, 2019, 04:06:43 PM »
Was there about 9 years ago. Found Istanbul fascinating. Haggia Sophia very interesting.  Blue Mosque gorgeous. Topkapi palace excellent to visit. Food great, though we ate something that ate us back.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #12022 on: September 13, 2019, 02:52:22 AM »
More Than 200 Fantasy Authors “Vandalized” Nicholas Eames’ Kings of the Wyld for Patrick Rothfuss’ Worldbuilders Charity

https://www.tor.com/2019/09/12/more-than-200-fantasy-authors-vandalized-nicholas-eames-kings-of-the-wyld-for-patrick-rothfuss-worldbuilders-charity/
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline isos81

« Reply #12023 on: September 13, 2019, 07:11:51 AM »

My mother would be going to Turkey around next month. A shame I won't be joining her, haha, I'd love to see the Hagia Sophia at least once.  8)

I would have visited you in Istanbul if you were too coming :) Maybe you could teach me some Muay Thai :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline isos81

« Reply #12024 on: September 13, 2019, 07:13:34 AM »
I've been to Istanbul a few years ago. Uhm... 13 to be precise.

Was there about 9 years ago. Found Istanbul fascinating. Haggia Sophia very interesting.  Blue Mosque gorgeous. Topkapi palace excellent to visit. Food great, though we ate something that ate us back.

Istanbul is a very nice city but too crowded for my taste. I too visit every once in a while and hate it the moment I'm faced with the traffic :)

South and east regions are very nice to have vacations, too. You should give a try :)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12025 on: September 13, 2019, 08:40:19 AM »
Well, yesterday was quite rainy. In fact this was apparently the worst storm to hit Spain ovef 100 years. The  ews had footage of streets turned to rivers, flooded houses and spewing toilets. The torrent and thunder and lightning reached us in the evening, and only just got better now in mid morning.

On the bright side: No sunlight-induced headache and I made some great strides in my writing

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12026 on: September 14, 2019, 05:06:57 PM »
Eli, I saw people on the news unable to travel, is all ok with you?
You're lucky ;D

I'm having the day from hell...
I got home yesterday and wanted to relax today. My neighbours after the one closest to me are having a party or something and have got a sort of bouncy castle that says 'disco' in the garden, and have been playing loud music the whole day. I mean loud. LOUD. I've got double glazing and I can hear the music clearly, and I turned up the TV sound quite high, and it still interfered with the TV >:(
I went out in the afternoon, read in the café...
I do hope it's only today and not tomorrow too, and I hope it doesn't end too late :'(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12027 on: September 14, 2019, 07:03:35 PM »
You're lucky ;D

Actually, I AM lucky. Seeing as we've been barely affected while there's been flooding and destruction all around us. Eye of the storm I guess. I took a stroll to the beach this morning and found it totally demolished by the storm.

I get up at five next morning to drive to the airport, and will get home about 16 hours later.

Sorry about your day, Bea.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12028 on: September 15, 2019, 05:03:40 AM »
You're lucky ;D

I'm having the day from hell...
I got home yesterday and wanted to relax today. My neighbours after the one closest to me are having a party or something and have got a sort of bouncy castle that says 'disco' in the garden, and have been playing loud music the whole day. I mean loud. LOUD. I've got double glazing and I can hear the music clearly, and I turned up the TV sound quite high, and it still interfered with the TV >:(
I went out in the afternoon, read in the café...
I do hope it's only today and not tomorrow too, and I hope it doesn't end too late :'(

People opening loud music are the worst types of people, seriously. There was one time where another faculty in my university were having a real loud party down near my faculty's dorm, on the night before our first rotation exam. People in my faculty were pissed as hell, and I try suggesting to them that we should go down and smash the party and people's faces in, but unfortunately no one would have that so we just had to try to sleep with the music.

Another time I was living in a share house and my housemates were partying on the day before an important exam. At 2 am. I had already changed into my boxing shorts and getting ready to go kung-ho on their asses, 1 vs 4, but fortunately I was able to rein in my temper just in time. It's fortunate too since one of them was a black belt at taekwondo and I'd probably get my ass wrecked if I went in there.

Could you call the police if the noise persist for too long?

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12029 on: September 16, 2019, 05:52:45 AM »
Oh wow I'm a Kingkiller. That's nice. Coming back to it, we still didn't know why Rothfuss's the Kingkiller Chronicles was called that, what with the Doors of Stone latency. Anyone have got any speculations?