September 22, 2019, 11:57:08 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 998903 times)

Offline isos81

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #12000 on: September 09, 2019, 07:49:27 AM »
I'm feeling very, veeery tired today. I need to sleep more but I can't. Kids are wrecking havoc on me , especially on sundays where I'm exposed to them full day :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12001 on: September 09, 2019, 10:10:09 AM »
Well, my first full day here was yesterday. Some thoughts:

*I understand siestas now.
*Littering is a bit of an issue here.
*MAN grasshoppers are loud.
*I seem to barely need to eat. I know cold makesyou hungry because the body needs more fuel, but I didn't realise the difference was so drastic.
*Air conditioners rock.

My big issue so far is that heat, glaring sunlight and stuffy air tend to trigger my migraines. I had a relatively minor attack in the afternoon, from too much time at the beach. I took a pill, but those have side effects and I only have so many. I'm just trying to be careful.

Unrelated to that, I finished my viking fantasy novella the other day. I'll publish it in October.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:11:43 AM by Eli_Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12002 on: September 09, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »
Yay Eli.
Yay for my holidays too - I'm now in the hotel room trying to rest for a while.
I woke up at 2.30am, drove to airport, arrived at the hotel at 9.30! My parents were by the pool, I've spent my morning balancing tiredness, heat and trying to be patient with my dad (not working...)
I've had a lovely pizza for lunch* and I'm feeling a bit better, hehe

* Ohmygawd, this pizza place near the hotel has a lunch menu where you can get a 'small' pizza (trust me, it was huge!) and a drink for 5.95€ :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12003 on: September 10, 2019, 04:15:41 AM »
Yay Eli.
Yay for my holidays too - I'm now in the hotel room trying to rest for a while.
I woke up at 2.30am, drove to airport, arrived at the hotel at 9.30! My parents were by the pool, I've spent my morning balancing tiredness, heat and trying to be patient with my dad (not working...)
I've had a lovely pizza for lunch* and I'm feeling a bit better, hehe

* Ohmygawd, this pizza place near the hotel has a lunch menu where you can get a 'small' pizza (trust me, it was huge!) and a drink for 5.95€ :o

If someone woke me up to drive at 2:30 I'm bound to end up at the wrong airport for sure.  ;D Not that I could drive, but still...

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12004 on: September 10, 2019, 08:33:55 PM »
Send help! I'm being eaten alive by mosquitoes at dusk :o >:(

Also, we were ready to drive somewhere this afternoon, my dad tried to start the car and nothing happened! Battery dead, he had to call the auto club for assistance, at least they didn't take long hehe
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:35:30 PM by ScarletBea »

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12005 on: September 10, 2019, 11:36:54 PM »

Also, we were ready to drive somewhere this afternoon, my dad tried to start the car and nothing happened! Battery dead, he had to call the auto club for assistance, at least they didn't take long hehe

Just a single 12-ounce bottle of beer can make you more attractive to the insects, one study found. But even though researchers had suspected this was because drinking increases the amount of ethanol excreted in sweat, or because it increases body temperature, neither of these factors were found to correlate with mosquito landings, making their affinity for drinkers something of a mystery.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-do-mosquitoes-bite-some-people-more-than-others-10255934/#7kaRBb24qvkoOAv2.99

So glad I could help.  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12006 on: September 11, 2019, 04:19:56 AM »
With the recent environmental friendly movements all of the bookstores in my country have stopped putting on plastic covers for my novels. So all of my new books arrived without plastic covers, and I ended up having to buy large sheets of plastic and learning to put on the covers myself.

"The things I do for love..."  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12007 on: September 11, 2019, 05:30:00 AM »
I'll see what my parents say tomorrow/this morning, I actually just found one bite (foot) - very itchy :(

And Inky, plastic covers?? Why do you need them? My library adds that to books, but only because it's a library, books are always being moved around and having lots of non-careful people handling them.

Offline isos81

« Reply #12008 on: September 11, 2019, 07:25:08 AM »
70% into the Locke Lamora and I could not keep my tears in subway. Damn you Scott :'( :'(
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: September 11, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »

Citrus 🍊 peels Orange and lemons. Rub on skin mosquitoes  don’t like it.

Flies don’t like Mint scents
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12010 on: September 11, 2019, 08:34:36 AM »
I'll see what my parents say tomorrow/this morning, I actually just found one bite (foot) - very itchy :(

And Inky, plastic covers?? Why do you need them? My library adds that to books, but only because it's a library, books are always being moved around and having lots of non-careful people handling them.

It's more convenient when I brought the books to read with me in toilets and stuff, hahah. Also I tend to be quite messy and spill things a lot, and it'd broke my heart if my favorites got smeared by tomato sauce or something.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: September 11, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »

It's more convenient when I brought the books to read with me in toilets and stuff, hahah. Also I tend to be quite messy and spill things a lot, and it'd broke my heart if my favorites got smeared by tomato sauce or something.

I’m glad you just said tomato sauce..
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12012 on: September 11, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »

I’m glad you just said tomato sauce..

Oh, sorry, I was actually referring to human entrails. Auto correct always messes things up, seriously.  ;)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #12013 on: September 11, 2019, 08:05:29 PM »
I'm still in Spain and I've finally managed to have a fuuly migraine-free day. The warmth is lovely, but I clearly wouldn't be cut out for living here. I have some more observations:

*Swimming in  the sea without dying is awesome.
*Beach peddlers get pretty annoying after a while.
*Spain has a littering problem.
*Cheap beer is awesome.
*Thank God for sunblock.
*Sewage is very smelly.

I just got back from dinner at a 50's America themed restaurant. That retro charm just demanded I give it a try. Had chicken nuggets followed by apple crumpet with ice cream, while I worked on story ideas because I just can't stop.

Tomorrow we're apparently in for torrential rain, but I don't mind a bit of cooling down.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: September 11, 2019, 08:12:23 PM »
@ScarletBea, I can absolutely recommend this: https://www.bite-away.com/uk/

It's a stick that applies heat (enough that it hurts for 3 or 6 seconds, depending which setting you choose) to a bite or sting (doesn't matter if mosquito, wasp or whatever else).
This breaks up the proteins from the poison/solution the insect put in you that make it itch or hurt.
From my experience with mosquitoes, ticks, wasps and bees the itching goes immediately away. If it's something more severe like bee or wasp, you should use it multiple times on and around the sting as fast as possible. This will stop the hurt, the swelling and the itching. For a mosquito bite it's enough to apply it when you notice it.

In other news our newly immigrated South African neighbors just asked my wive how she could wear shorts when it was so cold outside. It's still above 20°C and it can go below -10°C in winter here, so I have no idea how they will survive or if they really know what they have to expect in regard of low temperatures.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)