August 25, 2019, 04:53:20 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 979019 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #11910 on: August 15, 2019, 05:11:24 PM »
I'm in London! :D
I went to Forbidden Planet and got the latest from Aliette de Bodard, signed and £2 off - but so many new books calling out to me, if I bought hardcovers... all shiny :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #11911 on: August 15, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
I returned from holiday. I'm at Ankara now :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #11912 on: August 16, 2019, 12:04:06 AM »
There seems to have been 5 pages of posts since my last visit. Just back from a tour of Egypt and Jordan. Highly recommended. Went full Indiana Jones.
Wow!

One day I'll overcome my dislike of organised tours and go to that kind of places (where I basically don't know anything and can't set it myself).

Organised tours in a nutshell: "Alright guys, let's get down here and piss for like 5 minutes, then we'll spend almost the rest of the day in the bloody bus and the final hour of the day doing a 5 kilometer walk around the shopping districts! Where people who don't shop could like just bore themselves to death."

Yeah, pretty much. I mean I'm not saying that I don't like peeing to the beautiful foreign scenery but still...

It was actually the opposite of that. I got the whole day to explore Petra and the tour was brilliant at getting us to the site very early say 6am to beat the crowds and heat. Certainly there are tours like that but not G Adventures the company I used.

I hate organized tours and prefer freestyle. But in case of middle East I'm divided. I can fit in by looks, but still I need more research before doing on my own. I've did most of South East Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia), China, HK, parts of Europe, Nairobi and chunks of US plus Dubai on my own. Doing Masai Mara safari was a adventure.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:05:56 AM by Bender »
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline isos81

« Reply #11913 on: August 16, 2019, 03:29:11 AM »
I'm Half a King now 8)

First Godling, then Half a King. Can't be complete :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: August 16, 2019, 05:24:30 AM »
I'm Half a King now 8)

First Godling, then Half a King. Can't be complete :)

Congrats young apprentice, you still have a lot to learn yet.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11915 on: August 16, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »
There seems to have been 5 pages of posts since my last visit. Just back from a tour of Egypt and Jordan. Highly recommended. Went full Indiana Jones.
Wow!

One day I'll overcome my dislike of organised tours and go to that kind of places (where I basically don't know anything and can't set it myself).

Organised tours in a nutshell: "Alright guys, let's get down here and piss for like 5 minutes, then we'll spend almost the rest of the day in the bloody bus and the final hour of the day doing a 5 kilometer walk around the shopping districts! Where people who don't shop could like just bore themselves to death."

Yeah, pretty much. I mean I'm not saying that I don't like peeing to the beautiful foreign scenery but still...

It was actually the opposite of that. I got the whole day to explore Petra and the tour was brilliant at getting us to the site very early say 6am to beat the crowds and heat. Certainly there are tours like that but not G Adventures the company I used.

I hate organized tours and prefer freestyle. But in case of middle East I'm divided. I can fit in by looks, but still I need more research before doing on my own. I've did most of South East Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia), China, HK, parts of Europe, Nairobi and chunks of US plus Dubai on my own. Doing Masai Mara safari was a adventure.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get lost as hell if I went to any foreign country by myself, hahah. My batch of friends in highschool once went to Japan by themselves, and ended up getting lost, arguing their ears out, and almost getting relieved of all their cash by a gang of Yakuzas. Now that's something organized tours don't have.  ;D

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11916 on: August 16, 2019, 09:29:40 AM »
Wow!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get lost as hell if I went to any foreign country by myself, hahah. My batch of friends in highschool once went to Japan by themselves, and ended up getting lost, arguing their ears out, and almost getting relieved of all their cash by a gang of Yakuzas. Now that's something organized tours don't have.  ;D
You never get these kind of adventures if you go with a group!
When I freestyled Japan with a friend we ended up in an abandoned national park. All the signs overgrown and rusty, paths broken by roots. Really amazing adventure.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11917 on: August 16, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »
I wish that phones were forbidden in museums.
Or photos.
 :(
People, you're there, you have eyes, they're used for seeing! They don't need a camera filter! You could have stayed home and looked at the exhibits online, for all that you're seeing them ::)

*grumpy old woman*

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Bender

« Reply #11918 on: August 17, 2019, 04:48:43 AM »
I get more pissed off on camera flashes in a zoo, when it's explicitly mentioned that they'd cause animals anxiety and probably even incite them to react.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11919 on: August 17, 2019, 11:19:59 AM »
Oh my, riding in a Tesla model 3 is amazing :D
My sister and brother-in-law just got one, we're going out for the day to Bath testing it - just stopped at a service station.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11920 on: August 17, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
My sister and brother-in-law just got one, we're going out for the day to Bath testing it - just stopped at a service station.

Oh wow. Please please tell me it had auto-driving. I'm so curious and intrigued about that.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: August 17, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »
In Dorne.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11922 on: August 17, 2019, 08:05:06 PM »

Oh wow. Please please tell me it had auto-driving. I'm so curious and intrigued about that.
I think it does, but they didn't use it. They just got it this week and are still discovering all the features. It's got a glass ceiling too 8)

In Dorne.
Wow ;D

Offline isos81

« Reply #11923 on: August 17, 2019, 08:26:11 PM »

I think it does, but they didn't use it. They just got it this week and are still discovering all the features. It's got a glass ceiling too 8)

In Dorne.
Wow ;D

I want to buy one but it's too expensive in Turkey. I can buy two houses instead of a Tesla :(

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11924 on: August 18, 2019, 04:17:43 AM »

In Dorne.
Wow ;D

I want to buy one but it's too expensive in Turkey. I can buy two houses instead of a Tesla :(

Oh wow. Even a self-driving car is not worth that much, IMO. If it could turned into a flying car like the Delorean in Back to the Future, maybe...