February 22, 2019, 12:36:07 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 882900 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #11475 on: February 01, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
Gosh, Inky :o
Should you be getting those medical face masks? I see the asian students here at uni wearing those when they have colds, so if they stop bad things going out, they should also stop bad things coming in.

The more dangerous PM (it gets in your lungs and brain even) is too fine for surgical masks to block

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11476 on: February 01, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »
Gosh, Inky :o
Should you be getting those medical face masks? I see the asian students here at uni wearing those when they have colds, so if they stop bad things going out, they should also stop bad things coming in.

The more dangerous PM (it gets in your lungs and brain even) is too fine for surgical masks to block

Yeah, this picture is in Thai language, but it pretty much covered the protective abilities of various masks.

My dad bought a couple of N95 ones a couple of days ago. Maybe we'll need to wear those military gas masks in the near future, hahah.  ;D

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11477 on: February 01, 2019, 12:16:27 PM »
Hmmm this gets me thinking... I have a SERIOUS problem with getting hotboxes by my pothead neighbors. They smoke EVERY DAY and it's basically awful I can't think and I just eat junk it's destroying my quality of life. I wonder if a surgical mask could help me

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11478 on: February 01, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »
:( my work computer never shows the pics you post, I'll have to wait until this evening to see...
I'm sure it will be lovely.

I woke up today to a light flurry covering everything, so pretty.

But then I realised I was complianing about a little bit when our american friends are being *really* cold! How are you faring, @JMack, @Hedin , who else is on the North East area?

We’re quite spoiled, I imagine vs. Iceland and similar places. But it was -5 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chill yesterday. I drove out of my garage, drove into the garage at work and took an elevator to the office, then reversed that in the afternoon. So I honestly never noticed the cold!  8)

But I really feel for folks in our Midwest, like Chicago, where temp with wind chill was -40 Fahrenheit and crazy stuff like.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #11479 on: February 01, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
:( my work computer never shows the pics you post, I'll have to wait until this evening to see...
I'm sure it will be lovely.

I woke up today to a light flurry covering everything, so pretty.

But then I realised I was complianing about a little bit when our american friends are being *really* cold! How are you faring, @JMack, @Hedin , who else is on the North East area?

But I really feel for folks in our Midwest, like Chicago, where temp with wind chill was -40 Fahrenheit and crazy stuff like.

Midwest here and it was cold.  Our high in Indianapolis on Wednesday was -1F and the wind chill was in the -35 to -40F range.  Yesterday was marginally better, we actually got up to 15F with only a -10F wind chill.  I have friends in Chicago who said they were having -60F wind chills.  Luckily for me on Wednesday my youngest daughter was sick so I just stayed home all day and didn't have to go outside at all.  Also woke up to snow this morning which made the commute fun.

Monday is supposed to get up to 60 degrees.  Living in the midwest is confusing.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11480 on: February 01, 2019, 09:01:32 PM »
Unrelated to anything else: I am clearly going to have to buy child-proof locks. My damn cats have an amazing talent for getting into closets to chew holes in the food bags. I tried placing a 12-kilo kettlebell in front of the door. They somehow got it out of the way when I was out.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11481 on: February 03, 2019, 02:33:52 PM »
Well, today is about -18 Celcius, and the fjord is covered by a blanket of fog due to the air being so much colder than the ocean. It's quite a striking sight.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11482 on: February 03, 2019, 03:09:45 PM »
Wish we could see it!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11483 on: February 03, 2019, 06:18:15 PM »
Wish we could see it!

Your wish is granted! Sort of. The frost-fog had died down a little when I took these photos. Also, I didn't have an angle to capture a wide view of the fjord.

(Yes, I was very cold)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11484 on: February 03, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »
Ohmygawd I want to be there!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11485 on: February 03, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
Ohmygawd I want to be there!

Are you sure about that?  :)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11486 on: February 03, 2019, 10:10:57 PM »
Well, I wouldn't be out in the cold all the time, hehe - I'd take a walk then go inside in the warmth ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11487 on: February 04, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but this is so funny ;D

I just got a text from the Royal Mail saying that my pack will be delivered tomorrow between 10:04 and 14:04.
What's with the 4 minutes past??
They then sent a mail as well, which repeats the time but then says "Please be aware that any delivery timeframe offered is an aim, not a guarantee" ::)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11488 on: February 11, 2019, 08:36:20 AM »
I was reading a bit of the lore in the Warhammer Fantasy setting, and I came across this little gem:

"Despite rumours to the contrary, Couronnians are not born in the saddle. A few women have tried, but it is apparently physically impossible."

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11489 on: February 11, 2019, 07:19:58 PM »
We celebrated Linus' fourth birthday yesterday (it was on Friday) and it was a great party with his four closest friends. Since the parents had to come and get them anyways, we invited them for an"after party" and dinner. They all came, including the siblings of Linus' guests so at peak we had 25 people in our living room, about half of them six or younger. Was more fun than it sounds.  ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)