February 20, 2019, 03:50:10 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 881538 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #11325 on: December 09, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »
Glad you're chipper Jmack!!!

@Eli_Freysson is this true? someone posted it in the FB group

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:16:20 AM by xiagan »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11326 on: December 09, 2018, 08:55:37 AM »
Glad you're chipper Jmack!!!

Except that I can’t sleep. But I did solve just about every plot line of a new story!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11327 on: December 09, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »
Except that I can’t sleep. But I did solve just about every plot line of a new story!
If you were me, it would now be too boring to write.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11328 on: December 09, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »
If you were me, it would now be too boring to write.

I totally get that. And usually, I have to write to discover the story.
But this is going to be a challenge.
You’ve trained me over 4 years to write to a 1,500 word limit (you evil genius, you).
This will need to be no more than 5,000 for the stated limit, and that’s going to be interesting.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11329 on: December 09, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #11330 on: December 09, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »
@Eli_Freysson is this true? someone posted it in the FB group

Bea asked that very question last December.

It's half true. Books are a very popular choice for Christmas present. So much so that the supermarkets and book stores set up special, very long tables for books. It's called jólabókaflóðið, "the Christmas book flood", and it's vital for book sellers. We open our presents after dinner on the 24th, and so after all the excitement is over a lot of people relax with a book. But it's not a specific tradition.

Also, yes, there is a lot of chocolate.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:00:32 AM by Eli_Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11331 on: December 09, 2018, 10:00:56 AM »
Did I? I don't remember hehe, oops

Yesterday I went to Waterstone's, and ok, I understand why they do it, after all hardcovers bring the most money for everyone, but I resent the idea that if you're giving books, you need to give a hardcover otherwise it's not a 'proper present'.
Tables and tables of hardcovers, all about "presents", contrasting with the paperback tables that seemed to be aimed at the readers themselves.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11332 on: December 09, 2018, 11:10:26 AM »
Did I? I don't remember hehe, oops

Yesterday I went to Waterstone's, and ok, I understand why they do it, after all hardcovers bring the most money for everyone, but I resent the idea that if you're giving books, you need to give a hardcover otherwise it's not a 'proper present'.
Tables and tables of hardcovers, all about "presents", contrasting with the paperback tables that seemed to be aimed at the readers themselves.

Paperback all the way. Hardcover are wayyy too expensive, seriously.  :P

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11333 on: December 09, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »
Drinks on me!
While bored and tired and unable to actually write today, I set up a website/blog with a renewed commitment to updating it. Then compile an ebook of my stories (all available for free here, of course). Then conquer the world.

I know this is probably in the wrong place, but
www.starlit-lands.com is the place.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #11334 on: December 09, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »
Drinks on me!
While bored and tired and unable to actually write today, I set up a website/blog with a renewed commitment to updating it. Then compile an ebook of my stories (all available for free here, of course). Then conquer the world.

Will wait for those updates.  ;D I was considering starting a blog, but I've been pretty busy with trying to make a paperback version of my five chapter prologue for Amazon and plugging away on editing book 2. Also, maps! I love making my own maps! Takes forever but I don't care. I got my whole life to do this book writing thing.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #11335 on: December 10, 2018, 02:00:43 AM »
This summer I will (hopefully) be traveling all around GB and Ireland. Mrs Gem and I are moving to reconcile and thought it would be nice to have something fun on the long term calendar to look forward to. The trip begins in London and heads to a variety of locations for about 2 weeks, with stops in Wales, Ireland, and Scotland.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11336 on: December 10, 2018, 05:45:22 AM »
This summer I will (hopefully) be traveling all around GB and Ireland. Mrs Gem and I are moving to reconcile and thought it would be nice to have something fun on the long term calendar to look forward to. The trip begins in London and heads to a variety of locations for about 2 weeks, with stops in Wales, Ireland, and Scotland.

Awee Gem that's great news I can't tell you how happy I am for you and I'll be living vicariously through your adventures in the UK!!

Drinks on me!

This is looking really good jmack!!! I love it!!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11337 on: December 10, 2018, 07:05:25 AM »

Very happy for you Gem. I hope you and Mrs Gem can work through whatever issues got you to splitting up and resolve them.

If you are in the UK give us a shout when you have details, if you have time maybe a group of us can meet up with you. Anything you want to see or do specifically while you are here?

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11338 on: December 10, 2018, 07:59:11 AM »

Very happy for you Gem. I hope you and Mrs Gem can work through whatever issues got you to splitting up and resolve them.

If you are in the UK give us a shout when you have details, if you have time maybe a group of us can meet up with you. Anything you want to see or do specifically while you are here?
Second all of this!!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #11339 on: December 10, 2018, 02:30:00 PM »
We're both Anglophiles, but Mrs. Gem has a huge interest in English monarchs and their intrigues, while my fandom is mostly cultural. She wants to visit a specific place near London, the name of which escapes me.

I had thought of sponsoring an evening out for all my F-F friends in London while we are there at the beginning of our long tour. I am very excited about the prospects of meeting some of you and would happily spring for dinner in London or the surrounding area. I'll share the itinerary and schedule, and if anyone is near any of the spots, that would be amazing as well.

We are to visit Edinburgh in Scotland, four places in Ireland, and two spots in Wales, Liverpool, and a couple other locations in England in a two-week whirlwind. This is to be the first of several trips, so we are spreading ourselves thin across the UK, which I don't normally prefer. I tend to want to dig into a few spots rather than run the bases, so to speak.

Anyway, thanks for your encouragement, and I look forward to the possibility of meeting some of you with a big dumb smile on my face  ;D
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell