June 19, 2019, 12:13:00 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 946314 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10710 on: May 04, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »
If I'm honest, I'm ready to go home now, and I'm not even that bothered by the reunion tomorrow :-\
Maybe that will change...

What reunion?
25th anniversary of my graduation!

And thanks Eclipse, I do feel better today.
And I just got the DVD of the Force Awakens for free too ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10711 on: May 06, 2018, 05:09:36 AM »
Since one of the problem groups are Christian extremists, it had me look up and read the Sermon on the Mountain in Matthew. Maybe you could formulate an argument in their own language they would be more receptive to. It's a perfect match. It condems exactly this behavior and is one of the core texts of Christianity. Feels like every second line is a figure of speech that you can still run into every other day. And to the end you get this:

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Apparently the church was plagued by this problem already by the second generation.

I also noticed that in the last German elections in the late 20s and early 30s, the Social Democrats (Labour) were losing votes every time, while the Communists were gaining votes. Even if the left had ended up winning over the right, the outlook would have been almost just as bleak. When you let others sacrifice your values for your shared cause, you can only lose.

What a fount of inspiration. So much potential for stories that I've never seen being told in fantasy yet.  :D The enemies who have been tricked to do evil by a genuinely evil third party villain is such a lame cliche. The opponent who becomes an ally against a greater problem without abondining his cause and ideal seems really fresh in comparison.
Well, I didn't mean to come back on this note but...

I'm sorry you ever encountered this, and I'm sorry that this happens. I can tell you as a devout Christian, I've tried arguing with them on the basis of the sermon on the mount and many other passages like it, but in short, they don't care. Western Christianity has turned it into a legal affair of who will enter Heaven and Hell, which isn't at all how it was thought of for the first thousand years. In my opinion, it's created a feeling of fear among these groups that turns into yelling and screaming about salvation. It's fear for the people around them, and fear for themselves despite reassurances some develop like "once saved always saved." And of course, people will turn whatever platform they have in front of them into a means of getting power over others. Throughout history in Orthodoxy and Catholicism, it's played out in the power structures, but in Conservative  Protestantism it tends to show itself in demeaning others on a street corner or posting angry things. What I'm finding is that unless a Christian has familiarized themselves with what the first thousand years of Christianity looked like, or at least is willing to listen to it, it's hard to have logical conversations like the one you're asking for since they're only open to interpretations that they grew up on or come up with themselves through a two-thousand year lens.

I don't say that to demean anyone here, but I think we all know it requires an open-mind to have a conversation with anyone, and Evangelical Protestants tend to have the most closed-minded people out of any denomination. I'm speaking from experience as growing up as one, and also being surrounded by them. This is not to say that they're bad people or anything, just that in their theology, it's easier to interpret passages to work with any worldview you desire. Not all of them do, but you see it with the vocal ones that obviously do not reflect the teachings of Christ.

anyway...

Hi everyone! I'm back for a while. A lot has happened. I see some new names floating around, Nora moving, Bea on vacation... It looks like everything is going well! I'm sorry I haven't been around much, but I've been drowning in school and theology.

I got hired to work for the Colorado Center for the Blind this summer, to teach High School students technology, and work with some on daily living skills like cooking, cleaning, and all that good stuff. I'm really looking forward to it. I won a $5000 scholarship for college from the blindness organization I'm apart of, and I have $2000 worth of scholarships from my school excluding financial aid. It looks like I have next year covered completely, and if the government pays me some money they owe, then I might even be set for two. I've been fighting with my Math class all semester. At first I thought I would barely finish with a C, but I think I've secured a B. If a miracle happens, I will finish with an A and possibly keep my 4.0 GPA in tact, which is the best possible grade average you can have. the first semester it wasn't hard since I took easy classes, but I've really had to fight for this one. I have my final exams this week, and then I'm off to Ohio to see my girlfriend for a week. I'll start work at the end of the month.

I still haven't seen Infinity War yet, or Black Panther for that matter. I should be going in a couple of weeks though. I've heard nothing but good things, although one thing has been spoiled for me. It didn't shock me though since I know it won't last.

Sorry for highjacking the thread. Hope all of you continue to do well. I'll continue checking up on everyone as much as I can.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: May 06, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
Good to have news of you, @ultamentkiller you are welcome to hi-jack to give us so much good news. Congratulations on good marks and getting a job as well as scholarships. That must be a huge relief to know you are financially set for the next year. Good luck with finals, then hope you enjoy a relaxing holiday before work.  All good wishes.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10713 on: May 06, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
Yay @ultamentkiller!
So glad to see you around, and such great news. It seems you're doing fine, which is all I can wish for my friends, even when they're out in the world instead of here, hehe :)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10714 on: May 06, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
What excellent news, Ultament. Very glad (and a bit proud).

Meanwhile, I just now looked at the title of the King’s Paws here, re: Peri peri sauce and realized, hey! I’ve had peri peri chicken. And it’s sooooooo tasty. In fact, There’s a peri peri place just a block away from my office. Now I just need to line up the idea of a D&D tavern with a South American chicken joint.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10715 on: May 06, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »
Ahh, the grass has mostly turned green in my town. Those of you who don't live through 8 months of chilly weather at a time don't know what a luxury that is.  :)
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10716 on: May 07, 2018, 04:34:45 PM »
Holy shit.

My flight to Paris is on the fifteenth. And by pure chance I happened to look inside my passport earlier today, and realised that it expired late last year. I rushed to the sheriff's office and paid for an express printing of a new one. I'll get it tomorrow or the day after.

That was a close call.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10717 on: May 07, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »
Lucky you checked, Eli :o

...and am I the only one hearing "sheriff" and picturing a wild west saloon, with Eli's passport arriving via Pony Express? ;D

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10718 on: May 07, 2018, 05:49:18 PM »
...and am I the only one hearing "sheriff" and picturing a wild west saloon, with Eli's passport arriving via Pony Express? ;D

Eh, "sheriff" is how Google translates "sýslumaður".

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10719 on: May 09, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
Well, I got my new passport today. So that bullet's been dodged.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: May 10, 2018, 02:01:21 AM »
Eli, so envious of you going to Paris, it is packed out with life, lovely buildings and things of interest quite apart from the galleries and museums. Hope you have a wonderful time . :)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10721 on: May 11, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »
Put old house on the market Tuesday, but websites weren't updated until Wednesday. This morning I received a valid offer! Basically 2 days on the market. Yay me!

And, amazingly, they offered me MORE than the listing price mwahahahah!
*twirls mustache*
"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen."
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:23:22 PM by The Gem Cutter »
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10722 on: May 12, 2018, 09:11:08 AM »
I honestly don't know what to make of my downstairs neighbour.

I've yet to pinpoint the source, but someone in one of the three apartments on the floor below mine tends to be very active at circa five in the morning. They stomp back and forth like a bipedal elephant, or possibly the world's fattest man with peg legs. I suspect the Slavic fellow directly beneath me, but his apartment is so small I don't understand how he could be strolling around like this.

It's very annoying.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10723 on: May 12, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
I honestly don't know what to make of my downstairs neighbour.

I've yet to pinpoint the source, but someone in one of the three apartments on the floor below mine tends to be very active at circa five in the morning. They stomp back and forth like a bipedal elephant, or possibly the world's fattest man with peg legs. I suspect the Slavic fellow directly beneath me, but his apartment is so small I don't understand how he could be strolling around like this.

It's very annoying.

Ah yes. Horrible neighbors. One of the things that riled me up the most as well. There are several alternatives:

1. Blow their door down with a shotgun (including the tenants, ofcourse, although that's a tid irrational)
2. Bang on their doors and tell them to shut ****.
3. Posters and notice boards?
4. Inform the landlord on the issue. (I think this is the best one so far though)
5. Or just blast your own music and try to irritate the hell out of them too. (If you could withstand your own music lol)  :P
6. The there's the ultimate f**k this s**t I'm out card, where you ultimately move to another place. Reserve this for last call though.

Personally I've used 4. and it works like a charm.  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10724 on: May 12, 2018, 04:51:29 PM »
Or maybe a soft version of 2: go talk with them (not at 5am) and wonder politely if they've also noticed the loud noises in the building at 5am... then he either says yes and it's not him, or he explains and hopefully apologises and the noise will end :D

Something extraordinary happened: I bought shoes with heels :o
In 1.5 weeks I'm going to a posh event and I'll be wearing the dress ( :o ) I got for my sister's wedding. It really doesn't go with flat shoes and I've since discarded the ones I wore then, so I had to buy a new pair. At least I won't have to walk too much. The heel is only around 4.5cm (less than 2"), but that's high for me ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 05:20:45 PM by ScarletBea »