November 18, 2018, 06:44:59 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 829469 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10695 on: April 29, 2018, 11:23:49 AM »
Great post, Yora - the world is scarier at the moment not because those groups exist (they've always existed), but because they're now almost normal, accepted, have a much larger platform where to scream their crazy ideas... :-\

And it can rain lots in Portugal too, hehe. Thankfully it's only showers.
You can already see lots of Eurovision movement, I'll try to investigate more during the week ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Yora

« Reply #10696 on: April 29, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »
Since one of the problem groups are Christian extremists, it had me look up and read the Sermon on the Mountain in Matthew. Maybe you could formulate an argument in their own language they would be more receptive to. It's a perfect match. It condems exactly this behavior and is one of the core texts of Christianity. Feels like every second line is a figure of speech that you can still run into every other day. And to the end you get this:

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Apparently the church was plagued by this problem already by the second generation.

I also noticed that in the last German elections in the late 20s and early 30s, the Social Democrats (Labour) were losing votes every time, while the Communists were gaining votes. Even if the left had ended up winning over the right, the outlook would have been almost just as bleak. When you let others sacrifice your values for your shared cause, you can only lose.

What a fount of inspiration. So much potential for stories that I've never seen being told in fantasy yet.  :D The enemies who have been tricked to do evil by a genuinely evil third party villain is such a lame cliche. The opponent who becomes an ally against a greater problem without abondining his cause and ideal seems really fresh in comparison.

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #10697 on: April 30, 2018, 09:43:07 AM »
I assume it's a bit far to come on Friday evenings for the meetup, but maybe we could arrange an evening with @OnlyOneHighlander and set out for some board games together?

Great. I've joined the Meet-up group and I should be able to make it this Friday, but I'd be up for an extra independent session another time too. It would be good to play with some new people as getting smashed by my gf at Ticket to Ride all the time is beginning to hurt my pride :-/

Well done on getting the flat @Nora ! I used to live by the Meadows, it's a great spot, particularly now the sunshine is coming (please, please say it's coming now). Hope you're getting on well with your flatmate.
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: April 30, 2018, 01:38:46 PM »
Yay!! I'll be coming this Friday too! Are you able to make it @Carter?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:53:20 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Carter

« Reply #10699 on: April 30, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
Yay!! I'll be coming this Friday too! Are you able to make it @Carter?
Unfortunately not.  I'm currently away for a couple of weeks so won't be available for a Friday until 18th.  After that it should not be too much of a problem.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10700 on: May 01, 2018, 12:22:52 AM »
So... odd question, but does anyone here know anything about dynamite?

My latest outline involves a character stuffing several crates of it into a basement and then lighting a fuse. Any ideas how much of the stuff it would take to destroy a house circa this size? Or at least kill everyone inside of it?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: May 01, 2018, 12:35:30 AM »
Just saw Infinity War. Wow ...

Go and see it with no spoilers .
The Real Powers That Be

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10702 on: May 02, 2018, 07:44:38 AM »
Just saw Infinity War. Wow ...

Go and see it with no spoilers .

It's amazing!!! Although flow wise there is pretty a lot of things going on, but as a universe builder and a marvel movies fan it is perfec! *goes crazy*  :D

I shouldn't hijack this thread, though.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10703 on: May 02, 2018, 03:37:29 PM »
I've gotten my grades for this semester: 9.0, 9.0 and 8.5. My average grade overall is 8.67. I could definitely be doing worse.  :)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10704 on: May 02, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
Congrats, Eli :D
(I assume the top grade is 10?)

I still remember when you were here wondering if you should go study this, it seems it was the best decision  :)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10705 on: May 02, 2018, 06:53:48 PM »
Congrats, Eli :D
(I assume the top grade is 10?)

I still remember when you were here wondering if you should go study this, it seems it was the best decision  :)

Yes, and yes.

Thanks.

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10706 on: May 03, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »
If I'm honest, I'm ready to go home now, and I'm not even that bothered by the reunion tomorrow :-\
Maybe that will change...

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: May 04, 2018, 06:25:26 AM »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #10708 on: May 04, 2018, 06:25:54 AM »
If I'm honest, I'm ready to go home now, and I'm not even that bothered by the reunion tomorrow :-\

What reunion?

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: May 04, 2018, 06:34:34 AM »

What reunion?

Fantasy faction reunion with past members, Bea’s not very good with crowds through.

You feel better and more comfortable once the reunion starts Bea and have a great time.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate