April 19, 2019, 05:46:43 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 909898 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10560 on: April 01, 2018, 10:40:23 AM »
I wonder if Linus' baby brother/sister arrived earlier... @xiagan has been off for quite a while now...
 ;D
Linus' baby brother will be born in the end of May. Patience... ;)
Julia, some friends of us and I were cooking for 50+ scouts at a group leader training. Great fun, 95% organic ingredients and little time for anything else. People are so grateful and enthusiastic if you stuff them with good food.  :)

Now we're with Julia's family and the kids are chocolate-crazy. Happy Easter! :D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10561 on: April 01, 2018, 11:49:39 AM »
Peek into Bea's thought process:

I should go for a run...
But it's really dark... rain will come... I don't like rain on my face, because of the glasses... I'll catch a cold...
I'll stay home and finish my book ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10562 on: April 01, 2018, 06:44:19 PM »
So... I could use some advice on funeral in the old days. I've arrived at a plot-relevant murder in my pseudo-Victorian set WIP, and the way I've arranged the plot I realise I need to either do a fair amount of rearranging or have the burial the day after death.

I know that there is some history of funerals happening that quickly, in smaller communities. But London isn't exactly a small community, and the Victorian era wasn't exactly one of doing anything in a casual fashion. And since I'm not writing in the ACTUAL Victorian era and don't feel fully bound by it, I still worry such a quick funeral will feel out of place.

Thoughts?

If it makes a difference, the deceased is a widowed middle-class type with an adult daughter.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10563 on: April 01, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »
Did they have/use embalming fluid in London in those days?
Portugal doesn't use that, ever, and funerals are always on the day after the death.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10564 on: April 01, 2018, 08:57:15 PM »
It's ironic we're talking about death on the day that most Christians celebrate the resurrection. :P

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been around. College is hurting me, specifically Math, plus my involvement in blindness organization stuff and now I'm starting a student organization with some other people.

Now back to homework. Hope everyone's alright!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10565 on: April 01, 2018, 09:37:40 PM »
the old days covers a wide time span and you know a geography to go with the date wouldn't hurt.
The Egyptians had the whole embalming thing sussed before well pretty much anything. Surgical spirit and double distilling is at least 350 years old and likely older (but how much older i have no idea) Nelson was pickled in rum or brandy which was later drunk by the crew. The St bees autopsy (botched by lack of a proper preservation unit) a lead coffin containing the body of a 700 year old crusading knight was opened to find a body preserved in honey and linen. It was still possible to determine his eye colour. Exposure to air destroyed the body a few hours after.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10566 on: April 01, 2018, 10:54:31 PM »
the old days covers a wide time span and you know a geography to go with the date wouldn't hurt.

. But London isn't exactly a small community, and the Victorian era wasn't exactly one of doing anything in a casual fashion. And

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: April 02, 2018, 02:39:05 AM »
A middle class convention in Victorian era was that corpse was prepared,* arranged in best clothes in coffin and this set up in home and widow/er children sat with it all night.  Next day family friends came to view and pay respects, but usually the funeral was next day after that, or the undertakers took coffin to store in cold cellar if they needed to wait for relatives to arrive. This would cost more though. There were comments about need for strong smelling flowers in room with coffin, such as lilac, so not always embalmed. Also keeping room cold, all presumably to disguise smell. So a funeral two days after death would be fine, especially with poorer people.

*The midwives were always used among the poor as the usual people who came to prepare bodies for burial, ie get rid of remaining bodily fluids etc, wash and dress arrange hair and pad face to look serene as possible. Undertakers were needed to enbalm, so only for those who could afford. As a young child I once saw a coffin in a little carriage drawn by small horses with big plumes on their heads. Was very impressed, but was not told what was in the carriage at the time. ;)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10568 on: April 02, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »
It's ironic we're talking about death on the day that most Christians celebrate the resurrection. :P

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been around. College is hurting me, specifically Math, plus my involvement in blindness organization stuff and now I'm starting a student organization with some other people.

Now back to homework. Hope everyone's alright!
Yay, @ultamentkiller! I'm glad you're fine, it just looks like lots of work, but I know you can do it :)

And yes, it was a bit ironic, hehe

By the way: it's April. So WHY IS IT SNOWING SO HARD??? >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:39:01 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10569 on: April 02, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »
@Eli_Freysson OK I posted tired (and grumpy) sorry about that, but you are still talking about a 60+ year time span where everything changed fairly dramatically.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #10570 on: April 03, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
The St bees autopsy (botched by lack of a proper preservation unit) a lead coffin containing the body of a 700 year old crusading knight was opened to find a body preserved in honey and linen. It was still possible to determine his eye colour. Exposure to air destroyed the body a few hours after.

So, in general, if someone went through all the effort to get themselves embalmed... how do you feel about someone just digging up the corpse 700 years later and ruining all that work? I mean when the rapture comes that guys gonna be screwed now.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10571 on: April 03, 2018, 03:15:50 PM »
Okay, one unrelated thing because I have no idea how to phrase this: I need a rite to be carried on midnight at the summer solstice (June 20th). But does that mean in the moment between the 19th and 20th, or later, between the 20th and 21st?

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10572 on: April 03, 2018, 03:25:43 PM »
That one is always confusing... can't you choose another time? ;D
Sunrise?

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10573 on: April 03, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
Eli, most celebratory rites of the kind you're describing would fall on the evening before the event itself, which moves around the calendar a little bit. Point is, the solstice has a time - the moment when the sun reaches its annual zenith, which will occur during the daytime. So depending on the nature/purpose, a midnight ritual would have to occur the night before or the night after.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: April 03, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
Okay, one unrelated thing because I have no idea how to phrase this: I need a rite to be carried on midnight at the summer solstice (June 20th). But does that mean in the moment between the 19th and 20th, or later, between the 20th and 21st?

Would these rites involve young ladies dancing around in the buff?
The Real Powers That Be