August 15, 2018, 05:26:10 PM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 792960 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10515 on: March 15, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »
This may be slightly off topic but... does anyone know anything about corpse decomposition? I'm working on my new series and I want to include a cultural detail about the dead only being buried under the full moon. Until then they are stored in chilly underground vaults. But this the setting doesn't have refrigeration. CAN a body be kept for two to three weeks without becoming horrible?
If it's chilly enough, yes. If not, did you think about some form of mummification?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10516 on: March 15, 2018, 07:52:58 PM »
If it's chilly enough, yes. If not, did you think about some form of mummification?

I feel that true mummification wouldn't really fit the setting. But maybe laying the dead out in salt while they wait would.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10517 on: March 15, 2018, 10:23:57 PM »
I liked reading the Twitter feeds of writers and friends from here - yesterday they changed the format that I could see on my laptop to something very similar to the mobile version, and it's so much harder to read and to find 'linked people' >:( >:(
Even the gifs no longer play automatically, you need to click on the image, goes to a separate page, and then you click play, to finally see the gif ::) >:(

I don't see anybody talking about it, it can't be just me hating the change??
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10518 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »

I feel that true mummification wouldn't really fit the setting. But maybe laying the dead out in salt while they wait would.

I did some research into this a little while ago. Bodies were stored in vaults during cold months waiting for the earth to thaw enough for burial. This seems pretty common back in the day.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10519 on: March 17, 2018, 06:03:08 AM »
I once encountered a jumble of cut granite stones in the rock/dirt-floored basement of a very old (late 1600s, early 1700s) farmhouse in New Hampshire. I told the owner it looked almost like a crypt. There was a 1 meter-wide canal of greenish water that made its way through. Very creepy. The guy said it was a crypt; a girl died of scarlet fever in the 1780s in the winter, so they built the crypt to store her until the thaw, but never got around to moving the massive stones. So yeah. Weird house.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10520 on: March 17, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Cold is the main way to keep your body intact yes. Unless your community keeps a tank of formaldehyde on hand...
There are plenty of info on decomposition online, and plenty more in forensic teaching manuals. They're gold mines of intel, but the pictures in them are nightmarish...
one of the details I've used before is "gloving" when basically liquid pools in the fingers/hand area and detaches the skin over some time, making like a glove. It's a good clue to guess how long a body has been dead.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10521 on: March 17, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
Here’s the weekend’s agenda:
>this morning, shopping with Mrs. JMack for... lots of things. She’s plotting the order of stores now based on opening time, sales, and putting groceries last (because, cold stuff)
>this afternoon WRITING!
>tonight, catch up the show “This is Us”
>tomorrow, after church, start prepping the vegetable garden.
>tomorrow, any time left, WRITING!

I forgot cider drinking.
Cider drinking is part of WRITING!
So, I guess I didn’t forget it.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10522 on: March 17, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »
I think I may have grossly underestimated the speed of the decomposition process. I might have to do some rethinking here.

On an unrelated note: I need a job title. I need a public employee who doesn't have authority, but DOES have access to official records. Any suggestions?

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10523 on: March 17, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
I think I may have grossly underestimated the speed of the decomposition process. I might have to do some rethinking here.

On an unrelated note: I need a job title. I need a public employee who doesn't have authority, but DOES have access to official records. Any suggestions?
I know more about encountering decomposition than most, in creepy settings, not from war. If you want to know what that feels like, I can help.

Titles: Assistant Accountant, File Manager, clerk, Junior Administrator, Administrative Assistant, Secretary,
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: March 17, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
Underclerk  ;)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10525 on: March 18, 2018, 09:47:16 PM »
It's mid March, 3 days away from Spring, how come there's SO MUCH snow?? >:( >:(

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10526 on: March 19, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
I don't know what's going on here. I've written about 2000 words today. I wrote 2000 words yesterday, and an average of 1000 words a day for a stretch before that. I've written about one-third of my new book in a month. This is way above my average rate. I don't remember promising my first born to a shady stranger, but...

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10527 on: March 21, 2018, 05:12:21 PM »
So, I have a question for the folks who have read my books.

I've been told more than once that my blurbs on Amazon need work, and that they should start with something eye-catching that indicates the general experience. You know, "X meets Y with a mystical bent". But I have never really known what to compare my books to, or how to make up taglines without sounding like an egotist.

Any advice?

(still writing at full steam, BTW)

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10528 on: March 22, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »
Pfooo I have been and am super busy atm guys. Sorry for like not posting enough. I'm well aware of that. Spoiler tags for everything I have been up to cuz it's a wall of text.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Promotion at work is one thing. They sure love their paperwork.

Then creative-wise there's a musician and cartographer I hired that I need to sit together with for art direction, reviewing and polishing everything as well. The ruleset is coming together in a first coherent writeout and I have two campaigns running atm. And there is interest from some folks in Australia to run stuff too. Hope I can meet up with them this summer to talk about that.

I've been in France as well for a while visiting a friend there.

Ugh and no time to read at all. Shame on me.  :-[

@Eli_Freysson
I haven't read your work so I can't help you with your actual question (sorry)
I do find it strange they want you to put an x meets y thing. I always get the advice to not compare your own work to someone else's. But well, if that's what they ask...

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10529 on: March 22, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »
Hey @Henry Dale  :D

What are these work things that keep you guys from posting regularly? ;)

Joking aside, we understand, and I'm glad you're moving places with your project :)

Eli, you might get more replies if you create a thread on the Writers section.