August 26, 2019, 10:28:47 AM

Author Topic: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)  (Read 979465 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #10230 on: December 31, 2017, 11:05:51 PM »
Happy New Year, everyone! It will be a nice, quiet one at JMack’s. Celia will be back from visiting friends today, and we’ll have some games and shows. Tomorrow we hope to do a mass video chat with my dad, brothers, wives, and nieces, nephews. I haven’t heard from all of them, so am not quite sure how many we’ll have.

2017 was an okay year, though I feel like I’ve had better.

But it’s a new year (in 6 hours) and lots of things planned.
Here’s to a great one for all of us.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10231 on: December 31, 2017, 11:32:28 PM »
I just finished the comedy special ("Skaupið"), which is inevitably the main source of conversation for the first days of each year. Personally, I loved it. My favourite part was a bit of social commentary: Two hot young topless women in a hot tub, accompanied by a man in a T-shirt. They encourage him to take the shirt off, though he protests that he would feel weird, and say that if a girl starts perving on him they'll have his back. And when he does take his shirt off HIS chest is pixelated, and a pool guard gets upset and orders him to leave.

Overall, while this year has been awful in the international sense, it has been wonderful for me personally. I've become a much calmer, more satisfied person, and I've taken great strides forwards in various aspects of my life.

And now I'm off for the fireworks. Here's an video explaining what I'm in for  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhLhEWvjg9M

And here's an old New Year's song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_EhNp7ECk

(If you don't hear from me again, assume I've died while setting off fireworks while drunk. Which I'm totally about to do.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:34:22 PM by Eli_Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10232 on: December 31, 2017, 11:45:35 PM »
This year wasn't great for much of the world, but it's been great for me.

I graduated my 10-month independence training program.
I revived the division for blind students in Georgia.
I got accepted into my first choice of colleges, and finished my first semester with an A in every class.
My relationship with my girlfriend has improved dramatically, going through rough times but coming out stronger. I write this as she sits 15 feet away.
I have restarted my relationship with my father. We will see how this goes.
I discovered Orthodox Christianity after several months of theology research.
I found my favorite mystery show, The Killing.
I discovered David Wong.

I'm sure there's lots of other things, but I have been blessed to go through everything. My anxiety and everything that comes with it has improved my life instrumentally now that I know what it is and am making life changes. I am alive, I am healthy, I don't have financial problems, and I'm able to laugh every day. What more can a person ask for in life?

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10233 on: January 01, 2018, 01:01:58 AM »
Well, I'm still alive. As expected, I had a great view of the fireworks from my chosen plateau, though somewhat less so as smoke started to cover the entire town.  :)
As usual.

God I love the smell the of sulfur at the start of the year!

Here's a picture of yours truly, taken an hour ago:

Spoiler for Hiden:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:43:09 AM by Eli_Freysson »

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10234 on: January 01, 2018, 05:18:31 AM »
This year wasn't great for much of the world, but it's been great for me.

I graduated my 10-month independence training program.
I revived the division for blind students in Georgia.
I got accepted into my first choice of colleges, and finished my first semester with an A in every class.
My relationship with my girlfriend has improved dramatically, going through rough times but coming out stronger. I write this as she sits 15 feet away.
I have restarted my relationship with my father. We will see how this goes.
I discovered Orthodox Christianity after several months of theology research.
I found my favorite mystery show, The Killing.
I discovered David Wong.

I'm sure there's lots of other things, but I have been blessed to go through everything. My anxiety and everything that comes with it has improved my life instrumentally now that I know what it is and am making life changes. I am alive, I am healthy, I don't have financial problems, and I'm able to laugh every day. What more can a person ask for in life?
David Wong released another John book last year What The Hell Did I Just Read? Have you seen it or read it, yet, @ultamentkiller? If it's as good as This Book Is Full Of Spiders, it may wind up on my best of 2018.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10235 on: January 01, 2018, 07:15:57 AM »
It has been a long and interesting year, filled with all kinds of ups and downs. Many of us have struggled to keep our little boats afloat, despite stormy seas; no easy task. Others have had dreams come true - bringing new challenges to face, I'm sure. Some of us dealt with major change, both desired and undesired, and sorted out what to bring forward and what to leave behind.

For my part, I have benefited from hearing of your times, good and bad, even when I did not enjoy imagining your difficulties. I have enjoyed hearing of your triumphs and successes. Some of you have dealt with deeply painful outcomes and shouldered great burdens, and I have respected your courage and stoicism. Know that however the past year was for you, I cheered for you from afar.

Let us hope that what is coming,
Let’s hope that what’s in store,
Is as good or better,
As what has come before.

Let’s hope the paths we follow,
All lead us where they should,
Let’s hope the works before us,
Achieve some lasting good.

Let’s hope the dark behind us,
The things we would take back,
Give us greater wisdom,
And lead to what we lack.

Let’s hope that we remember,
The ones who fell behind,
And keep the gifts they gave us,
Within our hearts and minds.

Let’s hope the deeds we’ve yet to do,
The things we’re working for,
Make us who we’re meant to be,
And open newfound doors.

I wish you all a very Happy New Year!
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10236 on: January 01, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »
It's great to see all your steps, big and small - @ArcaneArtsVelho, I'm looking at you and your reading :D

Lady Ty, I was also asleep, hehe

And Eli, are the fireworks coming out of a bottle? Is that what drunkenness makes you do :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10237 on: January 01, 2018, 10:38:25 AM »
Happy new year everyone! May this new year of 2018 be a wonderful one!

I also slepth through the new year count, so Scarletbea and Lady Ty certainly aren't alone on this one.  ::)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10238 on: January 01, 2018, 11:13:06 AM »
And Eli, are the fireworks coming out of a bottle? Is that what drunkenness makes you do :o

It was one of these. You light the top.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10239 on: January 01, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »
Happy new year everybody! In Berlin, the fireworks start a few days early, never stop and you think that by midnight on NYE there can't possibly be any left but then it increases tenfold.  ::) ;D

First time doing some small fireworks with Linus. He loved it. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10240 on: January 01, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
I discovered David Wong.
David Wong released another John book last year What The Hell Did I Just Read? Have you seen it or read it, yet, @ultamentkiller? If it's as good as This Book Is Full Of Spiders, it may wind up on my best of 2018.
That's on the list of books I haven't read that I want to. It's right there with Age Of Swords, Oathbringer, The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter... Damn I'm so far behind!

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #10241 on: January 01, 2018, 06:50:20 PM »
My wife went to sleep early on New Year's Eve (she was tired!) so I actually did New Years in virtual reality - and it was kind of awesome! VRChat set up a virtual Times Square, with a countdown clock, fireworks, and everything, but I spent some time initially hanging out at The Great Pug (the most popular pub in virtual reality) chatting with the friends I'd made over the year, changing to ridiculous avatars, and trying to bounce off a bucket to go over a guard rail. As you do.

About 20 minutes before midnight (EST) we all went to our own instance of the New Years in Times Square world and climbed to the top of the McDonald's (well, I used my jetpack, but whatever). Once there we celebrated the new year (2018!) by all jumping off of a building together. Then we headed back to the pug to hang out a bit longer.

Social VR still blows my mind sometimes, folks. It felt like I was in that world, doing those things, and since I moved away from Texas eight years ago (leaving all my friends behind) it was the first time I've actually been to a New Years party with a whole bunch of folks (and that's exactly what it felt like). Lots of fodder for future sci-fi. :)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: January 01, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »
Hello again. Hope you're all well. With the new year and all got reminded of this place with all the drama happening on FFs Facebook with James Bennett, not the best way to come back but thought I'd start posting and chatting again more.

Seems like some people need some serious gay acceptance in their lives so seems a good time to help spread it here.  :-*

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: January 01, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
Ehh what’s happened on FF Facebook? FF forum is like a totally  different community don’t Cheat on us with the Facebook lot

Welcome back my lovable arse demon
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:01:23 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: January 01, 2018, 09:02:54 PM »
Have a look on the FF Twitter for the context. Luckily I've always hated Facebook before it was cool to do so. :D